Would you ever buy this for your family?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Deleted member 4644
^^ It's my understanding that most arrest rythems are shockable though yes? Before a person goes into asystole, they usually go into V-fib first...

It depends on the context.

In the context of sudden unexpected cardiac arrest in adults, shockable rhythms are relatively common.

In cardiac arrests in children, or in adults, due to a non-cardiac illness or trauma, shockable rhythms are the exception, and asystole or PEA are much more common. As the treatment in these cases, is reversal of the underlying cause for the cardiac arrest, rather than restoring cardiac rhythm, the outcome in such situations is very poor.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
I'd love a portable AED for my car/home, but they're just way too expensive still. Price drops below $500 maybe. $250 definitely.

but can you put a price tag on a human life?

I'm guessing $250...

You can claim it's worth anything, but people don't have anything...people have very VERY limited available cash (many of us anyway). I don't care if you package Nicole Kidman, if it costs more than a couple hundred dollars a large percentage of people simply can't afford to buy it.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
The price of these have dropped dramatically for a few years, but seem to have stabilized around a $1000.

I wonder if this is where it's going to stay? It sure doesn't seem to be a $1000 worth of electronics in there.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: RadiclDreamer
We had a similar set of devices at my old job and myself along with all other managers were required to be trained on it. Its pretty much a no brainer to use them, they wont work on someone with a pulse and they guide you step by step throgh the process

What was your old job?

we have them installed on both floors at the mortgage company I work at. 10 people have been trained to use them.

They may be required for our business size now.

SpiderWiz

Nov 24, 2004
We have at least one at our office. But I think only certain people are allowed to use it.

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
Those are really easy to use (I was certified at one point as part of lifeguard training, but like CPR, the cert only lasts for a year and I let it lapse), but they only work on people in V-Tach or V-Fib (and other abnormal rhythms). If there is no rhythm of any kind, those things won't work at all.

Truth, if someone quite literally drops dead (asystole) it's gg.

Technically, without someone who knows how to do CPR on site your still close to SOL... for the most part. Personally, I'd like one for my car to go along with a mini jump kit I have, but I think I might take an O2 cylinder first if I had the money to choose. AEDs would be pretty sweet to have at home, but without a few other interventions, I'm not sure what effect they would have on mortality. Would definitely be a neat study to do.

They are brain dead simple to use, turn on, place pads, connect pads, hands off to analyze, shock. Aside from CPR (which is only 25-30 percent effective anyway) using an AED was one of the first things we learned in EMT-Basic. They are damn nice to have nearby and definitely increase surviveability. Oh and about the O2 cylinder, when doing CPR according to national registry guidelines, supplimental O2 should be connected to the BVM by default. The O2 cylinder valves, the ones we use anyway, are $1200 new.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What if you or someone in your family had a cardiac condition?

It depends what you mean by 'cardiac condition'?

I'd like to think that if it was a cardiac condition with a high risk of sudden cardiac death (e.g. HOCM, dilated cardiomyopathy with heart failure, history of malignant arrhythmias) that a cardiologist would recommend an implanted defibrillator.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
depends. considering my family is relatively healthy and has no history of heart problems save for on of my great grandfathers, i doubt it. it is a bit expensive to have in every home. not that it isn't neccesary, but just that in order for mass adoption, the price needs to go down.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
I'd love a portable AED for my car/home, but they're just way too expensive still. Price drops below $500 maybe. $250 definitely.

I'm guessing $250...

You can claim it's worth anything, but people don't have anything...people have very VERY limited available cash (many of us anyway). I don't care if you package Nicole Kidman, if it costs more than a couple hundred dollars a large percentage of people simply can't afford to buy it.

Do you have an HDTV? Bought a new computer in the last 2 years? just curious.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Originally posted by: RadiclDreamer
We had a similar set of devices at my old job and myself along with all other managers were required to be trained on it. Its pretty much a no brainer to use them, they wont work on someone with a pulse and they guide you step by step throgh the process

What was your old job?

Sys admin for a 4 diamond resort

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: thepd7

I'm guessing $250...

Do you have an HDTV? Bought a new computer in the last 2 years? just curious.

Nope, and no. Though it's close on the computer. I spent a whopping $400 on it however. For other confirmation: my car is a 1997 chevy cavalier, my wardrobe is about half hand me downs and half the cheapest stuff on the planet, I made most of my own furniture, I grow a fair amount of my own food, etc etc.

As a red cross instructor and former hospital employee I fully realize how wonderful AED's are. The fact remains that a large percentage of people simply don't have that kind of scratch laying around.

kindest

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2001
my feelings are if you think you need one of those around you should probably be living in a retirement home of some sorts.