• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Would you ever buy this for your family?

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
8,617
38
91
We had a similar set of devices at my old job and myself along with all other managers were required to be trained on it. Its pretty much a no brainer to use them, they wont work on someone with a pulse and they guide you step by step throgh the process
 

LordSegan

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 1999
7,674
1
0
Originally posted by: RadiclDreamer
We had a similar set of devices at my old job and myself along with all other managers were required to be trained on it. Its pretty much a no brainer to use them, they wont work on someone with a pulse and they guide you step by step throgh the process
What was your old job?
 

jimmyjam

Senior member
Mar 4, 2002
645
0
0
I just got trained to use these devices yesterday, they are pretty amazing. You hook it up to the person and it scans the heart activity and tells you what to do. It will defribulate if need be and tell you when to administer CPR, rescue breaths, etc.

I work on a dive boat by the way. We don't have a functioning one, just the training model. There is a debate about whether it is a good idea to have these present in a wet environment like a boat, but we plan on buying one for each boat when we get the thumbs up from the dive community.

To answer your question I would definitely buy one for the home if someone had heart conditions in the household, they increase the chance of survival exponentially compared to waiting for an ambulance.
 

LordSegan

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 1999
7,674
1
0
Originally posted by: jimmyjam
I just got trained to use these devices yesterday, they are pretty amazing. You hook it up to the person and it scans the heart activity and tells you what to do. It will defribulate if need be and tell you when to administer CPR, rescue breaths, etc.

I work on a dive boat by the way. We don't have a functioning one, just the training model. There is a debate about whether it is a good idea to have these present in a wet environment like a boat, but we plan on buying one for each boat when we get the thumbs up from the dive community.

To answer your question I would definitely buy one for the home if someone had heart conditions in the household, they increase the chance of survival exponentially compared to waiting for an ambulance.
I guess in theory the shock can travel along the wet deck? I guess it would depend on what everyone is wearing (shoes) and if your boat has a dry cabin...
 

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
5,654
1
81
we have two on every floor at work. i think it runs you through it step by step when you open it up.
 

LordSegan

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 1999
7,674
1
0
Originally posted by: FoBoT
no, those are for schools and public places like airports and junk
almost 300,000 americans die from sudden cardiac arrest a year. For every minute you delay shock, surival drops 10%. Average paramedic response is 6 to 10 min. Still feel the same way?
 
May 16, 2000
13,529
0
0
I'd love a portable AED for my car/home, but they're just way too expensive still. Price drops below $500 maybe. $250 definitely.
 

LordSegan

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 1999
7,674
1
0
Originally posted by: FoBoT
Originally posted by: LordSegan
Still feel the same way?
it is quite expensive
i'll buy some aspirin and take that
Man, you are dense. Aspirin is for heart attacks. This is for cardiac arrest. Two totally different things.
 

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
9,431
0
0
Originally posted by: LordSegan
Originally posted by: FoBoT
no, those are for schools and public places like airports and junk
almost 300,000 americans die from sudden cardiac arrest a year. For every minute you delay shock, surival drops 10%. Average paramedic response is 6 to 10 min. Still feel the same way?
Absolutely true, I was a lifeguard for 8 years and LG Instructor for 2, these are SO easy to use. As long as you put the pads on the right place you just follow instructions.

I will definately have one in my house, let's see HDTV or life-saving device...hrm, that's a tough one. I love the fact that I am starting to see these all over the place nowadays.
 

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
5,481
0
0
if you live alone or with a roomate who isn't constantly watching you, this wouldn't do you much good :p

if your family is young and healthy, there's probably little risk of a heartattack..will it work on small children?
 

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
4,125
0
0
Not right now....maybe when I have a family and they drop in price to say $250~500
 

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
9,431
0
0
Originally posted by: erub
if you live alone or with a roomate who isn't constantly watching you, this wouldn't do you much good :p

if your family is young and healthy, there's probably little risk of a heartattack..will it work on small children?
I know of at least 2 seemingly perfectly healthy 40 year olds that keeled over from heart attacks and died. It's not for my kids, it's for me! I will teach my kids how to use it on me though.
 
Dec 10, 2005
20,356
1,638
126
Those are really easy to use (I was certified at one point as part of lifeguard training, but like CPR, the cert only lasts for a year and I let it lapse), but they only work on people in V-Tach or V-Fib (and other abnormal rhythms). If there is no rhythm of any kind, those things won't work at all.
 

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
23,079
2,332
136
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
Those are really easy to use (I was certified at one point as part of lifeguard training, but like CPR, the cert only lasts for a year and I let it lapse), but they only work on people in V-Tach or V-Fib (and other abnormal rhythms). If there is no rhythm of any kind, those things won't work at all.
Truth, if someone quite literally drops dead (asystole) it's gg.

Technically, without someone who knows how to do CPR on site your still close to SOL... for the most part. Personally, I'd like one for my car to go along with a mini jump kit I have, but I think I might take an O2 cylinder first if I had the money to choose. AEDs would be pretty sweet to have at home, but without a few other interventions, I'm not sure what effect they would have on mortality. Would definitely be a neat study to do.
 

LordSegan

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 1999
7,674
1
0
^^ It's my understanding that most arrest rythems are shockable though yes? Before a person goes into asystole, they usually go into V-fib first...
 

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
43,813
44
91
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
I'd love a portable AED for my car/home, but they're just way too expensive still. Price drops below $500 maybe. $250 definitely.
but can you put a price tag on a human life?
 

BornStarlet

Member
May 1, 2007
79
0
0
I intend to buy one when I can afford it, but I am also BCLS certified and come this spring will be ACLS certified so maybe I'm a bit biased. I think its a no-brainer for someone with a known cardiac condition, and probably a good idea for anyone (except for the hefty price tag). I love seeing them all over in public places. They really are simple to use, and like someone else said, as long as you get the pads in somewhere close to the right place (and there is usually a picture right on them showing you where they go) its impossible to screw it up. The machine will not shock if there is not a shockable rhythm. True it won't help in asystole, but its uncommon to get there right away, meaning having a defibrillator in your home would give you access to it while you are still in a shockable rhythm, as opposed to waiting for the paramedics to get there when you could be in asystole. And to answer a previous question, defibrillators will work on small children, many have a separate pediatric setting, but even without, they can be used on children. the only difference is that you put one pad on the child's front and one on the back to ensure they don't touch.
 
Feb 24, 2001
14,551
4
81
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
I'd love a portable AED for my car/home, but they're just way too expensive still. Price drops below $500 maybe. $250 definitely.
but can you put a price tag on a human life?
I'm guessing $250...
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY