would you eat cancerous beef?

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
well not really cancerous since the cow's already dead, but would you eat dead cow flesh that was once cancerous?

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Depends how hungry I am.

While it wouldn't do any harm, it would have a pretty awful texture (like be rock hard) and wouldn't taste very nice.

Lorax

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2000
yes, cancer is not contagious.

the extra growth just means more meat for me.

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
I don't think cancerous beef would find much of a market, not a good concept. Probably wouldn't look or taste too great. I'm sure they save it for special occasions like dog/cat food and hamburger :p

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
hey! i just thought of something that might appease those morally opposed to eating dead cows (or dead people for that matter). just get some cancer cell samples, put them in a large vat, and then harvest them for food.

now time to get some venture capital...

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
cancer cells are more than just bigger, they are quite different.

and of course cancer is not contageous.

i consider cancer a mutation (no reference to xmen, think about the morlocks), so would you eat mutated meat?

1KrazyFool

Oct 10, 1999
The real question would be: How long did it have cancer and did it pick up any diseases? Chance would be good that the over-stressed immune system might become vulnerable to other not-so-good-for-you diseases.

The cancer meat itself, provided it is disease free, should not be a worry. Cancer is caused by mutations in DNA, which you freely break down into its component nucleotides for your own use (either for energy or DNA synthesis). The cancerous cells are simply fast and out of control growing cells. They may, depending on the cancer, not be any different from normal cells.

But I still would be hesitent to eat it, just because.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I don't eat beef at all. If I was starving with no other choice - sure.

But how would you know the beef is cancerous? Are we talking about eating a green tumor?

From what I have been told, chicken meat often has tumors that are simply cut out and packed for sale. So if you eat chicken you probably already do. (I raise my own chickens for eggs - no problems here.)

Locutus of Board

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 1999

<< would you eat cancerous beef? >>

I guess so.

If I asked:

Would you eat a cows ass#@$%?

You would say no. Have something to tell you.

If you have ever eaten a hotdog, bologna, or a slim jim, you already have.