Would you buy refurbed headphones?

Skiguy411

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2002
I have a chance to get some factory refurb headphones that are about 70 bucks off the retail price. I know many people say not to get refurb motherboards and such, but would you get refurbed headphones?

SZLiao214

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
Are they headphones or earbuds? If they are the normal headphones that goes outside your ear then sure. If they are earbuds then i wouldnt be to comfortable with that. Then again, you could always replace the cloth/plastic covering.

Kerouactivist

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2001
I've had mixed luck with refurbed headphones....just make sure you test them properly when you get them...I assume they either have a return policy/warranty....who are you buying from...ecost...etc..

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
i bought a refurb motherboard that went 3 years operating 24/ 7 until it finally died
also got a set of refurb klipsch that totally kicks aass

i probably have a few other refurb stuff that i cant think of right now...all's been good

cw42

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Skiguy411
Alright thanks guys

I went ahead and ordered the Sennheiser HD595s from ecost.com

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/shop/detail~dpno~524404.asp

Anyone have any experience with them?

Exact same headphones i bought, except i think they were 140 at the time. The ear cushioning is new (along with the rest of the thing looking in great condition, no marks), my only problem with the headphones is that the miniplug is kind of messed up. Sometimes the sound in the right ear will cutout, but if i wiggle the cord a bit it'll come back. I asked Sennheiser about it, but i'd have to pay a bit to get it fixed, so i'll just deal with it :( Btw the cans only come in a plastic bag, no box. I'm using the 595s with my Rockhopper PIMETA, sounds great! :)

Skiguy411

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: cw42
Originally posted by: Skiguy411
Alright thanks guys

I went ahead and ordered the Sennheiser HD595s from ecost.com

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/shop/detail~dpno~524404.asp

Anyone have any experience with them?

Exact same headphones i bought, except i think they were 140 at the time. The ear cushioning is new (along with the rest of the thing looking in great condition, no marks), my only problem with the headphones is that the miniplug is kind of messed up. Sometimes the sound in the right ear will cutout, but if i wiggle the cord a bit it'll come back. I asked Sennheiser about it, but i'd have to pay a bit to get it fixed, so i'll just deal with it :( Btw the cans only come in a plastic bag, no box. I'm using the 595s with my Rockhopper PIMETA, sounds great! :)

Hmm.....why is that not covered under the warrenty?

cw42

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
reply from Senn...

You're covered by a 2-year warranty, but it sounds like the problem is just the cable, which is covered by a 6-month accessory warranty. If you're within the 6 month period, you can simply fax or email us a copy of your receipt (or other dated material from Ecost), and we'll send you a new cable under warranty. If you're out of that period, you can contact our sales department at (877)736-6434, ext. 3, to purchase another cable, or you can purchase one online at http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail2002/SECPartsFinder.aspx?direct_catlg=Parts

Well, looks like i'm under warranty :] I'll just have to figure out how to replace this cord.

Skiguy411

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: cw42
reply from Senn...

You're covered by a 2-year warranty, but it sounds like the problem is just the cable, which is covered by a 6-month accessory warranty. If you're within the 6 month period, you can simply fax or email us a copy of your receipt (or other dated material from Ecost), and we'll send you a new cable under warranty. If you're out of that period, you can contact our sales department at (877)736-6434, ext. 3, to purchase another cable, or you can purchase one online at http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail2002/SECPartsFinder.aspx?direct_catlg=Parts

Well, looks like i'm under warranty :] I'll just have to figure out how to replace this cord.

Excellent :) Glad I could help. As far as I know you'll have to break out the soldering iron to replace the cable.

Skiguy411

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: sniperruff
IIRC amazon also has refurb senns. i'd buy it from amazon than ecost.

Yeah I looked on there. They had refurb HD590s for 149.88.

Oh well. I'll take the risk from ecost **crosses fingers**