would you buy an oled with "slight" burn in?

Mar 15, 2003
Looking to upgrade my living room tv and found a 2018 oled with "slight" burn in (used, local marketplace). Seller included pictures on various backgrounds and it's not visible on anything but red (slight menu burn in). I love the idea of oled but not the price (I'd spend up to $1,000, not $1600+) and a big fear is that the kids would leave a menu on ruining my shiny new investment. Basically is burn in a sign of things about to get worse (does it get worse in time) or is it a valid way to save a grand if I'm ok with a slight outline on all red scenes? Asking price for a 55" lg from 2018 is 700, I figure I can get it for closer to 600 with some haggling. Or I can just get a new TCL for that

Moved from OT.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: killster1

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
As I understand it, once the burn-in starts, it will only get worse over time. You MIGHT be able to reverse SOME of it...The Disney World of Wonder disk has some decent tech for clearing stuck pixels.
https://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-World-Wonder-n/dp/B0045ASBUC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I used it for a plasma screen that was developing some serious image retention courtesy of the Dish network logo that was in every guide and dvr menu for a while.

BUT, ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances on something like this.

TheOnlySuperdog

Oct 20, 2006
... You MIGHT be able to reverse SOME of it...

Nope, won't work with OLED. Burn in is due to uneven wearing (use) of the pixels. It can't and won't get better.

You will see the burn in, and you will regret the purchase.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Captante

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Nope, won't work with OLED. Burn in is due to uneven wearing (use) of the pixels. It can't and won't get better.

You will see the burn in, and you will regret the purchase.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

It depends on how bad it is. If it's full-on burn-in, then, no, it will never be fixed...if it's just "image retention," then maybe.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Guess it could be ok but why not get a hdmi2.1 tv!! What are your uses 55" would be for computer monitor not watching movies id hope

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I wasn't even willing to buy a brand new OLED TV last year, despite claims from manufacturers that their new OLED sets wouldn't be susceptible to burn-in.
Guess it could be ok but why not get a hdmi2.1 tv!! What are your uses 55" would be for computer monitor not watching movies id hope
Why is that? Do you you think it's too small or too large?

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Maybe for 50 bucks.

Actually not even for 50 bucks. What the fuck would I need another tv for.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

this. You would go mad with burn-in. As much as I miss my beloved 780p Plasma from years ago, and I still think it has way better IQ than my current stupid 4K LCD, the IR was pretty bad at times. I was pretty much able to fix it every time, but it would linger for days in some cases. If that ever became burn-in, I would have gone nuts.

The worst culprit was when just after moving to CA, jobless and with not much else to do for a month or two in a mostly-empty apartment, we spent most of those days watching the 2008 olympics. It was a great year, of course (Phelps), and we were hooked. ...of course, after about the 3rd or 4th day, the damn NBC logo in the corner was pretty severely retained. I was afraid it would never go away. I did do the pixel wipe as often as I could, but it really wasn't until several days after the Olympics were over that it eventually cleared out.

Anyway: no on the burn-in.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It depends on how bad it is. If it's full-on burn-in, then, no, it will never be fixed...if it's just "image retention," then maybe.

well, but burn-in is burn-in, and IR is IR. They are recognized as different. IR can be fixed. I'm not sure how bad that is with OLED, though.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I just had a thought. It'd be funny if you got a second hand TV with pr0n burn-in on the screen...

Mar 15, 2003
I just had a thought. It'd be funny if you got a second hand TV with pr0n burn-in on the screen...
Ha, especially since it'll be mostly for kids toons! Ok guys, I'll move on and just wait for a sale on a certified refurb or last years model

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Depends what it's for I guess, but as my main TV/monitor, and at that price, no. If I just wanted a cheap TV in my home gym or something and it's not my main one and it was going for like $50 then maybe. You can get a 4k TV brand new for a couple hundred these days especially if you wait for a sale like Black Friday. LCD tech has come such a long way there is hardly a need to go oled or plasma either.

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I certainly wouldn't ... sounds like a very bad idea.

Display's are the last component you should skimp on with a PC or home-theater.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Looking to upgrade my living room tv and found a 2018 oled with "slight" burn in (used, local marketplace). Seller included pictures on various backgrounds and it's not visible on anything but red (slight menu burn in). I love the idea of oled but not the price (I'd spend up to $1,000, not $1600+) and a big fear is that the kids would leave a menu on ruining my shiny new investment. Basically is burn in a sign of things about to get worse (does it get worse in time) or is it a valid way to save a grand if I'm ok with a slight outline on all red scenes? Asking price for a 55" lg from 2018 is 700, I figure I can get it for closer to 600 with some haggling. Or I can just get a new TCL for that

We have 4 TCL 8 series Tvs - 55" for our bedroom, both kids room and a 65" in the living room (with a motorized 120" for movies). Never had a single problem and the image quality is great. Can't complain.