Would you buy a Pontiac for $200 that won't start?

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Everyday on the way to school, I have driven by a ~ 93-95 Ponitac Grand Prix or Grand Am. The car is parked in front of a crowded transmission shop. Whenever I would see the car, I always thought to myself that exteriorly it looked really good and always wondered why it has been sitting there for probaly a year. Today on the way to Midas to get my muffler fixed and car inspected, I saw a sign on the car that said " $200, WONT START" : / Do you guys think it would be worth it to buy the car and then tow it to my shop and see if we could get it started? I am sure there are many things that could be wrong with it, but if it only needed a battery, I thought for 200 bucks + battery would be a steal. I have yet to see how many miles are on it, but judging from the exterior it looks like the car was rarely used.

-Bubbadu

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
If it appears to be in good shape, I don't see why not...if you have room for it, anyways. Do you know if it turns over? If the engine is seized, you might not want to bother..

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
$40 Maaco special paint job. 203,397 miles. Bad rings, valve guides and a head gasket that's about to bust. Oh...no tranny. ;)

*shrug* Go and ask them bluntly "WTF is wrong w/it that's it's $200?"

Nobody gives anything away these days...it's probably not worth $200. One way to find out though.

If you buy it, run the VIN thru CARFAX...it might be stolen.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Is it a Grand Am or Grand Prix? Grand Prix is of course much nicer. But if a transmission shop can't get that car working, what makes you think you can? Personally, i wouldn't.

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: TJN23
open up the hood and check to see there's an engine inside

LOL... that will definilty be on the top of my list.

I have about 2K saved up to put towards a car.... this is probaly my 5th YACT thread. I was looking at a 95 volvo for 3,500, but have determined that it will take me sometime to save up and would rather just buy something super cheap to get me through the summer and fall. $200 bucks really isnt that much money, if I could get the car started and I could drive it away I would be quiet happy.

-Bubbadu

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
Originally posted by: MichaelD
$40 Maaco special paint job.

Geeze...where can i get a $40 Maaco paint job?

I dont even think the cheapest Maaco paint job would turn out to be less than $200.

Think before you speak.

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD
$40 Maaco special paint job. 203,397 miles. Bad rings, valve guides and a head gasket that's about to bust. Oh...no tranny. ;)

*shrug* Go and ask them bluntly "WTF is wrong w/it that's it's $200?"

Nobody gives anything away these days...it's probably not worth $200. One way to find out though.

If you buy it, run the VIN thru CARFAX...it might be stolen.

I am not postive that it is acuatly owned by the transmission place... this place has tons of cars parked on its grass and this car has just sat there for a pretty long time. There is a good chance that it could be stolen though, considering what part of the city its located in : P... i'll probaly go down there and find out WTF is wrong with it.

-Bubbadu

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
I have helped many a poor student or pizza driver get a sub $1000 car.

What you want to do first is take the Rad cap off, is there chunks of oil? If so engine is Prob. blown. Next pull off oil cap and pull oil stick out. Is it milky or chunky? If so engine is Prob. blown. Next look at trans fluid, pull stick out. Is it milky, or pure black? might be a bad trans, but that should not keep it from starting.

Now that you have looked to see if there is anything major wrong, try and jump the car. It just might have a bad battery, alt, starter, etc...

When you put the cables on does it power up? What sounds or lack there of does it make?

Now don't expect a car that will last forever, and also look into getting a repair manual, even if you don't make repairs it might help you deside how long keeping it is worth it.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
The car is parked in front of a crowded transmission shop.
Meaning that whoever is selling it probably knows a thing or two about cars and they still believe that this is worth no more than $200. My guess is it's a flaming piece of crap with at the very least a dead tranny and probably a fried motor as well.

Take your $2k and put it towards something that runs. If a new battery and starter was all this needed it wouldn't be for sale for $200!

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
The car is parked in front of a crowded transmission shop.
Meaning that whoever is selling it probably knows a thing or two about cars and they still believe that this is worth no more than $200. My guess is it's a flaming piece of crap with at the very least a dead tranny and probably a fried motor as well.

Take your $2k and put it towards something that runs. If a new battery and starter was all this needed it wouldn't be for sale for $200!

Thats probably good advice... I will take a good look at it tomorrow and see what the hell is horribly wrong with it : P My dad is a car salesman @ Toyota is has been on the hunt for cars for the past month or so. He just got his 93 Lumina for $200... the car has been perfect so far, although the speedometer is in KHM :p i consider him the ulimate RossMAN when it comes to cars. I am also looking at a 92 civic and a couple of other cars at Toyota that can be obtained for cost :)

-Bubbadu