Would you buy a DIY Linux Laptop?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
For a laptop, as much as I like the DIY idea, I wouldn't buy one, I would want at least a minimum of support from the vendor.

I'm not a full-time Linux user. More and more, I'm preferring Win10. Although, the privacy issues are fairly concerning.

When they get full Linux support for the Ryzen 2200G/2400G APUs, I might switch to Mint.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
For a laptop, as much as I like the DIY idea, I wouldn't buy one, I would want at least a minimum of support from the vendor.

I'm not a full-time Linux user. More and more, I'm preferring Win10. Although, the privacy issues are fairly concerning.

When they get full Linux support for the Ryzen 2200G/2400G APUs, I might switch to Mint.
Bummer to hear that you are preferring Win10 over Linux these days. Have you considered Manjaro Linux? It is a rolling release based off of Arch. It is very easy to change kernels. The 4.19 RC kernel works on the Ryzen 2200G/2400G APUs.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've just had so many incompatibilities with Linux lately, the last year or two, with modern PC hardware, and even, some older stuff. Some of it started with the Bay Trail incompatibility issues, and then went on to the Ryzen APUs, and my friend's A10-5800K APU, Linux Mint no longer worked with it. Was basically forced to get an NVidia dGPU.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I've just had so many incompatibilities with Linux lately, the last year or two, with modern PC hardware, and even, some older stuff. Some of it started with the Bay Trail incompatibility issues, and then went on to the Ryzen APUs, and my friend's A10-5800K APU, Linux Mint no longer worked with it. Was basically forced to get an NVidia dGPU.
I see. Yeah that would be a problem. I moved from Linux Mint back when they went to the yearly release model and at the time they didn't do in place upgrades. Also I gotten tired of dealing with PPAs after using serval Ubuntu distros... So when I discovered Manjaro and how well they do they the Rolling Release Model and their user friendly Forum, I jumped right over. Been using it since for about three years now with very few issues.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I would probably try Manjaro, but my buddy who dabbles in Linux, says that he tried it, and the installer won't complete.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I would probably try Manjaro, but my buddy who dabbles in Linux, says that he tried it, and the installer won't complete.
How long ago was this? I never had a problem with installing Manjaro or getting it to boot. I recently installed Manjaro Architect on my laptop a few weeks ago without any issues.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Linux is all fine and dandy...until it isn't. Then you must google fu your solution and then command line your fix, and that works only if you got a big distro. That's why Android is the only thing to come out of it that is even consistently usable. Because you don't do that.

Linux is about principles, not utility. The non-geek is better off with Apple or Windows because they're both better. End of story.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Linux is about principles, not utility. The non-geek is better off with Apple or Windows because they're both better. End of story.
Sigh. I begrudgingly have to agree, for the most part. That said, Linux IS usable, by the vast majority of people, and on the vast majority of existing hardware. It's the "fringe" that gets you in trouble, really trailing-edge hardware, that the kernel has dropped support for, or bleeding-edge hardware, that no-one has developed Libre drivers for.

I mean, usually, hardware gets supported, if it's not too obscure, and you're willing to be patient... like, on the order of YEARS, for it to be fully 100% supported. By then, the hardware is nearly obsolete.

Windows, much like NVidia GPU drivers, has support from DAY ONE, for commercially-produced hardware with the Windows Logo Certification on them, something that often, Linux does not.

Of course, Windows now SPIES ON YOU, something that (generally) Linux DOES NOT.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The clashing of principle vs utility. Simple as that. Video drivers will always be hit or miss.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Sigh. I begrudgingly have to agree, for the most part. That said, Linux IS usable, by the vast majority of people, and on the vast majority of existing hardware. It's the "fringe" that gets you in trouble, really trailing-edge hardware, that the kernel has dropped support for, or bleeding-edge hardware, that no-one has developed Libre drivers for.
Well, if it's internet browing, light office browsing, and social networking , it will do. But once you need prosumer software like Photoshop, it makes more sense to get real Windows instead of bothering with Wine.

Like this following recent web thread on askubuntu.com, in which the problem is solved with another application. Unelegant, requires an internet connection to ask a question, and then hope for a quality answer. It is these cases that relegates Linux as an operating system to avoid.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1045855/unable-to-install-photoshop-cs6-on-ubuntu-18-04

Being spied on is a pain, but if your living is at stake, there isn't much choice in that matter.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Linux is all fine and dandy...until it isn't. Then you must google fu your solution and then command line your fix, and that works only if you got a big distro. That's why Android is the only thing to come out of it that is even consistently usable. Because you don't do that.

That highly depends on the distro. I usually don't have to touch the command line at all unless I want to. Linux has come a long way since I started using it.