Would you bend down for a penny? A nickel?...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Total Refected Power

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
konchi:

Yea, they did the same analysis on hotel bed sheets. All of the good stuff: fecal matter, mucus, semen, urine, saliva, bacteria (from the poop it seems), blood. Just about everything. This was at the low-end and high-end hotels. GROSS!!!!!!!!!!

Wangel

Banned
Mar 30, 2000
I will pick up a quarter, but nothing less. Sometimes when a drive through window will hand me a handfull of coins, I'll take out the quarter, and just throw the rest out the window. Who needs pennies?! The copper came from the ground and I'm just returned it back to the ground. Thats just my little contribution to ecology.

snow patrol

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2000
Koni - yuck. :p I guess some people must get very excited at the site and feel of money then...:disgust:

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Konichiwa, thank you for confirming that for me. I'm plastic and proud of it when it comes to buying things. ;)

TRP great, now I can never stay at another hotel unless I bring my own sheets!

eeeeeeewwwwwwwww!

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
mday: my aim sucks, so I've never actually been able to hit it. Does anything happen when the penny hits the 3rd rail?

Namuna

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2000
I remember there being a skit from either 'The Frantics' or that other show with 4 guys that I damned can't remember. Anyway...

It was a skit about this guy that didn't interact well with people, basically he was always get rude service from people he bought things from. Then one day he has a revelation...He's going to pay with coins from rolls that he had shoved up his BUTT!

And the whole premise was if anybody was giving him grief, his saving grace was in knowing that they were handling money he had had up his butt.

DaBoneHead

Sep 1, 2000

Before I bend over to pick up anything I always look behind me, and if you were behind me Namuna, I'm definitely not picking anything up... no siree, not even a $20. Nope, you aren't gonna get me on that one. You've got get up pureettyyy early in the morning to pull that one off...

;)

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'll pick up pennies. There are some 1972 pennies that are worth over $100, some 1983 pennies worth $50. You never know, I might get lucky.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
I have been picking up pennies since I was a 3 year old kid (still do) and when I was going to buy my first car (in 1989) I saved $850 in pennies (all from the street).

So everyone keep on tossing your pennies & I'll keep on picking them up.......... I need a new car soon anyhow ;)

Cheers,
Aquaman

ratkil

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2000
Kranky, why are they worth more then normal?

I always pick up change, of any type, money is money

Optimus

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2000
Pennies, no... not usually.
Nickles and up, yeah, depending on where they are.

I once didn't pickup a toonie ($2 Canadian coin) because of what it looked like it was sitting in a puddle of! :(

Nick Stone

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
We need to change this threads title to --

"Would you pick up a Susan B. Anthony if Al gore was standing behind you?"

I'm kidding !!! I'm Kidding!!! Can't you tell !!!

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
ratkil, there are some 1972 pennies made from a doubled die. See it here. It's not the greatest photo, but all the lettering on the obverse (front) including the date has a doubled image. Maybe the easiest thing to notice in the photo is the "L" in LIBERTY on the left side - notice it looks like it has an extra line under the L. That photo shows one in nearly-perfect condition, and sells for $665. If I found one on the street, even though it was worn, it would still be valuable. I know of a couple in Pennslyvania who look through rolls of coins (from the bank) for coins like this and they've found three of these in recent years.

A similar thing happened in 1983, but on the reverse side, and it wasn't as boldly doubled. Those aren't quite so valuable, but I'd still be happy to find one in the street.