Would you be wary of buying from this guy?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I've got this guy who says he's selling about $600 worth of car parts for $250, "slightly used". If it's for real, it's definitely a steal, but I'm having trouble believing that he'd really be selling that stuff for that price.

Here's his original ad:
36lb FMS INJ/W Calibrated 75mm

These injectors have about 250 miles on them,they were used on my motor for the brake in period,now i must upgrade to 50lb 'ers.The meter is a pro-m 75 calibrated for these injectors.Must sell these asap for 250.00 I will pay shipping on them.If you want you can call me at 1-863-XXX-XXXX.

So, last night I emailed him this message:
I'm interested in the 36lb injectors you're selling with a 75MM Pro-M MAF. They're in like-new condition with only a few hundred miles on them, correct? Do you have any references on ebay or any similar sites?

Please let me know ASAP, I can pay you right away. I'm in California, feel free to email me back or call (916)XXX-XXXX during the day. My name is Tyler.

Thanks!

This morning I got a reply from him:
if you are really interested are you willing to beat 265.00 or what?If not then thanks for the interest but if you do let me know because otherwise i am selling them on monday.You can call me at 1-863-XXX-XXXX thanks [signed]

He also left me voicemail this morning.

I can definitely see someone offering $265 for the parts, and I'd be willing to offer $275 if I was confident I'd actually be getting the correct parts in proper working order, but at this price I keep thinking that they're either the wrong parts, they're damaged, or they're off a stolen car. The only thing that this guy has giving him credibility is his willingness to talk over the phone.

What would you do?

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
I have found that unless one lists questions in the following format:

Question 1?
Question 2?
Question 3?

Instead of Question 1? Question 2? Question 3?

not all of the questions get answered. Some people just don't have very good reading comprehension.

He may have just not noticed your question about selling references. Ask him again.

TubStain

Apr 19, 2001
Ask him for a photograph with a newspaper showing the date or something to verify if it is correct. Or a pic of the serial number if it is on it.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: TubStain
Ask him for a photograph with a newspaper showing the date or something to verify if it is correct. Or a pic of the serial number if it is on it.

He's not holding his first-born hostage or anything!

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's a scam if he calls you on Tuesday to tell you his other buyer fell through and that he wants to make a deal.

prvteye2003

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003

you've been watching too much TV

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
Originally posted by: prvteye2003

you've been watching too much TV

fenrir

Apr 6, 2001
I would forget about this deal. First we have and ad for $250, and then suddenly he is coming back with $265. What happened that the price went up? Only thing I can think of is that someone offered the $250 and he agreed. Someone else called up and wanted to buy them, but he informs that person someone already offered the $250. So the new guy offers $265 instead so he will forget about the first guy. Now he is trying to get you to offer even more.

If the above scenario is right, this guy is not to be trusted. He should have said he is auctioning them off instead. Of course, the other scenario is that he is just trying to get more money for the items by saying there is another buyer who offered him more than he was asking (out of the kindness of his heart no less), so he is still not to be trusted.

Matt