Would X2 be faster than a higher clocked Sempron single core?

Dec 30, 2004
Shorter version:

Want a video card upgrade; but don't want to give up CPU snappiness in day to day applications. I'm afraid a lower Ghz, even though dual core, processor would feel slower in Firefox, alt-tabbing, single threaded performance where Ghz matters.

2.3Ghz Sempron with 256KB cache vs. Lower Ghz X2.

Thanks for the help.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
If what you have isn't lacking, why spend all the money required to upgrade? To get a cheap X2, you'd need a new mobo, new RAM, probably a new video card, and possibly a new PSU.

If you were looking at a 4800+ or higher, I'd say go for it (or go with a low-end Intel, depending on how penny-pinching you wanted to be), but for a 3600+, I don't see it being worth the trouble.

Dec 30, 2004
For the video card mainly; it can't keep up in some spots. Also it sucks for UT3.

Thanks for the recommendation about the 3600/4800 etc.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Is yours socket 939 ? I thought the Sempron 3100 was socket 754

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
3600+ AM2 models are notoriously overclockable...I've got a pretty bad one and even it clocks to 5000+ levels without issue.

However, to the OP, if you plan to upgrade, go for C2D E4xxx or E2xxx series and OC it on something like an IP-35-E. Much better performance than an equivalent X2 and you can upgrade to Penryn later on if you so feel the need to.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: soccerballtux
Shorter version:

Want a video card upgrade; but don't want to give up CPU snappiness in day to day applications. I'm afraid a lower Ghz, even though dual core, processor would feel slower in Firefox, alt-tabbing, single threaded performance where Ghz matters.

Thanks for the help.

In this case I would have to recommend going with the X2 if you can find a cheap one. When I replaced my A64 3200 (I had it overclocked @ 2.8 ghz) with a X2 4400 (I run it stock @ 2.2 ghz) I noticed a huge difference in overall performance of the system. Even though I am running stock, I noticed the system was much snappier and programs opened faster. I also noticed a slight performance increase when gaming. A cheap X2 is a great way to extend the life of an aging 939 system.

If you are using a 754 socket Sempron, you are out of luck. You will need either a AM2 or 939 motherboard to make this upgrade. I found a X2 4200 socket 939 for 65.99 @ newegg just now.

X2 4200 Socket 939 newegg

If a mobo/mem/cpu upgrade is needed to go dual core then I agree with Cerb on his recommendation of moving to a cheap Core2Duo.

obeseotron

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: soccerballtux
Shorter version:

Thanks for the help.

If you're concerned about "snappiness" I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by dual core. Switching between multiple single-threaded apps feels a lot better with an extra cores than it does with more clock speed. You never get hung up by a single process and I don't think you'll have a problem with firefox's rending speed on any modern pc (firefox's memory usage is another story).