Would using SoftMac allow one to transfer songs onto an iPod using iTunes?

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
I'm considering buying an iPod and got to thinking. iTunes is still better and easier to use than xPlay, Ephpod, etc. with the iPod. Would it be possible to use an OSX emulator like SoftMac 2002 to use iTunes to update/use the iPod? :) Maybe it is excessive, but I wonder if it would work.

Thanks.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
SoftMac, and all other Mac emulators, emulate the Motorola 68K series of chips. This limits these emulators to OS 8.1 or earlier, and applications that support the 68K processor. OS X, iTunes, etc, are all designed for the PowerPC processor, and in the case of OS X, it's a bit further, and requires a G3(PPC750) or higher. And don't expect a PPC emulator to come out any time soon. PPC chips have more registers than x86 chips; and when you're behind on registers, emulation is next to impossible(it can be done, but it's the digital equivilent of a root canal). Stick with something like Xpod if you want to transfer songs to an iPod, or get a Windows compatible iPod.

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
Originally posted by: ViRGE
SoftMac, and all other Mac emulators, emulate the Motorola 68K series of chips. This limits these emulators to OS 8.1 or earlier, and applications that support the 68K processor. OS X, iTunes, etc, are all designed for the PowerPC processor, and in the case of OS X, it's a bit further, and requires a G3(PPC750) or higher. And don't expect a PPC emulator to come out any time soon. PPC chips have more registers than x86 chips; and when you're behind on registers, emulation is next to impossible(it can be done, but it's the digital equivilent of a root canal). Stick with something like Xpod if you want to transfer songs to an iPod, or get a Windows compatible iPod.
Hrm, good point. For some reason I thought Softmac 2002 emulated OSX. My mistake.

Thanks.