would u rather suffer through college to learn

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
well, first off ill just make mention how ignorant this question is, not everyone suffers through college, and not everyone who doesnt go to college is stupid.

Ive worked at my job since i was 15, im 24 now. because of the length of time being here, and the knowledge ive gained, i make more then any new higher with a masters. and obviously they wouldnt keep me employed here if i was stupid.

different strokes for different folks.

i hate school, but im a damn hard worker. i choose to work.

btw i had a full ride academic scholarship to the U of U and turned it down.
im not saying that makes me a genius, but im obviously not stupid
if they offered it to me

Feb 10, 2000
Jeez, if you think college is suffering you'll REALLY hate adult life! College was one of the most fun periods of my life (though law school was one of the worst).

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: DCFife
I'm stupid and have a high paying job. I'm really tired of working with computers and the government so I have decided to go to school, look at girls half my age, and probably learn very little. After I do that, I'm going to get a job not working on computers and outside of the government. I will probably still be stupid, but at least I'll be happier than I am now!

word!

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
College is more than just classess. It's learning how to manage your time and how to live on your own. It's a maturity phase with education a secondary purpose IMHO.

Yes, you do learn stuff that you *might* use later in a career or life, but it's more about the whole package than individual classes and lessons.

Kinslayer777

Sep 16, 2006
This is silly, be stupid with a good job of course. I wouldn't realize i'm stupid and still enjoy it. What good is intelligence? It doesn't make you happier

CollectiveUnconscious

Jan 27, 2006
I would rather go to college, apply myself to learning, and then end up with a low paying job. Knowledge is infinitely more important than money.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
If you're suffering through college you're stupid anyway, so you may as well quit and get a job. I've met too many people with college degrees that are dumb as stumps, and many people without any degree that are pretty sharp. Higher education is a path to greater learning but it doesn't guarantee the intelligence of the people that walk that path, and foregoing the pursuit of a college education does not by itself limit a person's ability to be intelligent.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Duh...I didn go too kollege, but I ain't stoopid...and I jeneraly make beetween $80K and $100K per year...knot too bad fer a dumb hi-skool drop-out with a GED...

However, I DID spend 4 years in a USDOL approved apprenticeship learning my trade, and have picked up several college courses over the years, some for my own enjoyment, others to help better me in my trade.

Only a dumb-ass considers someone who doesn't go to college as "stupid"...as if edumacation has sumthin to do with bein' intiligint...

some of the stoopidist people I've known in my life had college degrees...many of them engineering degrees...Book smart, yes, intelligent? nope...

Estrella

Jan 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Jack Ryan
Originally posted by: Balt
"For in much wisdom is much grief; and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow."

-Ecclesiastes 1:18

This is one of the more true statements I have ever heard.

If you believe this quote to be true go read Thus Spoke Zarathustra and it might change your mind.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I don't care about the salary as much as I care that the job is enjoyable and provides some degree of challenge to keep me from getting bored.

Estrella

Jan 29, 2006
It will always amaze me in how some hold ignorance as a blissful state. I say grow up.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: pontifex
college does not make you smart, but i'm not surprised you said that, since thats pretty much how ATOT thinks. If you didn't go to college you are dumb and poor.

:thumbsup: