Would this have been a good shoot?

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2ae_1364236524

Sorry if repost. Just saw this a life leak. Road rage guy pulls over kids in truck, throws first punch, kid and buddy gets out pounds the guy for a couple seconds, looks like they are retreating, wife gets out hand him a gun...

Had he started shooting would it be justified? Was his life in danger? Can you just start fights and when you start getting your ass handed to you, fair or otherwise start shooting? I think he made the right choice not to shoot here. I carry and I don't let my emotions get the best of me and never, ever start altercations with people on the road. Mine and someone else's life isn't worth it. Ever. But to me it seems this guy grows a bigger set when he carries/or his old lady carries and thinks he can start shit and finish it with a gun if need be. Not the right attitude to be driving around with imho.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Going to get nailed with all kinds of felonies, aggrivated battery with a deadly weapon, etc. The wife will as well.

A good shoot would have been the other guys in the car shoot him as he was aggressively approaching the vehicle. Once his hand entered the vehicle and/or attempted to remove the people in their occupied vehicle, the occupants were OK to shoot. Their reaction with force to him attempting to remove them from occupied vehicle was appropriate and justified.

Notice they stopped when he was no longer a threat and on the ground. This is an example of justified force.

Last edited:

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Was coming to post this video only the question I would have is should this person retain his right to be able to possess a firearm?

Edit. Man and his wife now charged with multiple firearm related offences.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/...s-Fired-199787001.html?mobile=yes&device=ipad

I have my sound way down and didn't hear it discharge? So he did shoot. Fortunately they HAVE A VIDEO or it would just be his and her word against the kids/thugs that beat him up so bad. Too bad we don't always have a video.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

AHamick

Nov 3, 2008
Assault with a firearm no matter where you are. The teens displayed restraint once the man was on the ground then they retreated. Had the man shot it would be murder/battery with a firearm.

He went far enough to point it at the teens when he was in no danger. Easily agg assault with a firearm.

He belongs in jail and have his guns stripped from him

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
I have my sound way down and didn't hear it discharge? So he did shoot. Fortunately they HAVE A VIDEO or it would just be his and her word against the kids/thugs that beat him up so bad. Too bad we don't always have a video.

doesn't look like he shot at them just pointed it after they retreated back to the car.

Guy got the ass whipping he deserved for sure. had the wife comes out 3 seconds earlier and shot one of them what then?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
  1. He followed them and instigated violence. This is recorded.
  2. They did not mount him, nor continue their assault.
  3. Killing them would have been justified if they continued, but the recording would have proven him culpable. I'm not sure how all that could legally play out.
My own personal option - he started violence, they met him with seemingly equal force. Ergo the guy appears to have gotten exactly what he deserved. I'm happy to see that they showed restraint once they had clear superiority. Whether that was due to the gun being taken out or not... I do not know.

Once he had the gun he moved towards them - showed aggression. That is clearly wrong. If he had acted on that then he should be guilty of murder.

In the case of a shooting, whether or not I support one side or the other depends on split second decisions made by both parties. We thankfully have a video in this case to make such determinations clearer than they often are. Imagine if he did fire the weapon, but there wasn't a video. I'd have to rely on forensic evidence of where each person was at the time the gun was used to hopefully sort out the fatal moment.

Distance, position, and aggression are the key factors I'd want to use to determine it. Weapons and injuries are also important to me.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
doesn't look like he shot at them just pointed it after they retreated back to the car.

Guy got the ass whipping he deserved for sure. had the wife comes out 3 seconds earlier and shot one of them what then?

Depends on state and their laws on defense of 3rd party.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Good thing there was a recording. I imagine there would've been two very different stories without it.

Right after I got my license I accidentally cut someone off. He got out at the next light and punched my driver side window. It looked like it hurt.

Sep 7, 2009
Going to get nailed with all kinds of felonies, aggrivated battery with a deadly weapon, etc. The wife will as well.

A good shoot would have been the other guys in the car shoot him as he was aggressively approaching the vehicle. Once his hand entered the vehicle and/or attempted to remove the people in their occupied vehicle, the occupants were OK to shoot. Their reaction with force to him attempting to remove them from occupied vehicle was appropriate and justified.

Notice they stopped when he was no longer a threat and on the ground. This is an example of justified force.

Yup, agree with all of this.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2ae_1364236524

Sorry if repost. Just saw this a life leak. Road rage guy pulls over kids in truck, throws first punch, kid and buddy gets out pounds the guy for a couple seconds, looks like they are retreating, wife gets out hand him a gun...

Had he started shooting would it be justified?

No, not from what I can tell.

Was his life in danger?

No, not IMO.

Can you just start fights and when you start getting your ass handed to you, fair or otherwise start shooting?

No, not even in a SYG state.

This guy is in big trouble and deserves to be.

Fern

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
the fact that he started it is a big point, but had he been the victim i would be 100% okay with it until the threat was GONE. If they retreated fine. .

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

Theoretically, they two kids get out of the car after he through that punch, and both start wailing away on him. He then pulls the gun he had on him (rather than his wife handing it to him), and he shoots? Good shoot yet?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Theoretically, they two kids get out of the car after he through that punch, and both start wailing away on him. He then pulls the gun he had on him (rather than his wife handing it to him), and he shoots? Good shoot yet?

If he could not retreat, he was restrained in some way, and was being injured - then yes.

I'd still want the law to nail him for starting a violent altercation that turned fatal.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

No as he's initial aggressor, at that point he has a duty to retreat from any force used against him. The argument could be made he committed felony agg battery and is not allowed to use justified force. Occupied vehicles get special treatment in many/most states as they are treated like your home and fall under castle doctrine.

He could only use deadly force if it was his last and only option. What state is this in? That plays a big part as well.

Last edited:

sourn

Dec 26, 2012
I agree with a lot of the others.

Guy starts fight, boys simply beat him till he falls and then go to leave. That's when the wife hands him the gun and he points it at them. The only situation like this were it might be considered justified is if the kids kept beating him while he was on the ground and his wife took the shot.