Would this be "legal" in NHL hockey?

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
I don't follow hockey in the least, but I made notice how a lot of guys come up and hit guys in the back when they are around the boards.

Would it be legal to--at the very last moment before someone hits you--to plant your stick firmly between the ice and the boards and angle it so that they impale themselves on it, under their own fault?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
To point of hitting isn't to injure, it's to delay or tire people out. So no, that wouldn't be legal. Roughing or possibly spearing would be the call, and if it was egregious enough, it'd be a suspension.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Illegal use of equipment and 10-minute misconduct for retardation.

You are banished to the special olympic team.

FWIW, I don't think it could be done anyway. That, or you'd spend an awful lot of time trying and look like an idiot to boot.

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
Originally posted by: yllus
To point of hitting isn't to injure, it's to delay or tire people out. So no, that wouldn't be legal. Roughing or possibly spearing would be the call, and if it was egregious enough, it'd be a suspension.

Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Um, then the guy would be charged with some kind of assault with a weapon. :roll:

Spearing or assault if they ran into it?

I'm not advocating it--obviously unsportsman-like. Just curious what hockey rules are like for that kind of thing. (I don't follow hockey.)

Aug 23, 2000
Brendan Morrow of the Dallas Stars already has a defense for this. He has a move where he "acts" like he is turning one way then turns back and elbows the other guy in the face.

What you are suggesting would result in a spearing major/ game misconduct. Though the NHL probably wouldn't suspend you unless you really hurt the guy.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
You move out of the way when a guy is going to hit you and "hold" your stick so they "impale" themselves on it.

yep spearing

/thread

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Legal or not, if anyone saw you attempt that you'd have more coming to you than a hit later in the game.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Um, then the guy would be charged with some kind of assault with a weapon. :roll:

They do that? Over here if there's a punch up in a football game the players are given red cards or whatever and that's the end of it.

Aug 23, 2000
You can't be charged for a crime during a sport unless you blatently intended to cause greveous bodily harm. It's hockey for christs sake, they fight all the time and aren't charged with anything other than a 5 minute break in the box.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
It is illegal in the NHL to use any piece of equipment as a weapon.

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004
Originally posted by: Atheus

They do that? Over here if there's a punch up in a football game the players are given red cards or whatever and that's the end of it.

A hockey stick to the face or neck is much more dangerous than that. In one of minor leagues around here a player went to prison for assault. I can't remember what happened to the victim, but he was badly injured, and may have lost sight in one eye.

TreyRandom

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Flyback
Originally posted by: yllus

Spearing or assault if they ran into it?

I'm not advocating it--obviously unsportsman-like. Just curious what hockey rules are like for that kind of thing. (I don't follow hockey.)

You must always have control of your stick at all times. If you angle it and someone spears themself on it, you're to blame... similarly, if you stick your foot out, even accidentally, and someone skates into your foot and trips, you get called for tripping.

VTHodge

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
I remember they talked about charging McSorley with assult after his slash to Brashear.

Any intent to injure is a game misconduct and will usually include a suspension, in addition to the on-ice penelty (probably a 5-minute major).

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
All the fighting just takes away from the real Hockey playing. It should be banned like it is in all other major sports.

Unheard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
All the fighting just takes away from the real Hockey playing. It should be banned like it is in all other major sports.

Can we not get this debate started again?

Mar 8, 2005
Intent to injure or deliberate injury actually falls under a Match penalty, which is an ejection, automatic suspension pending hearing and 10 minute misconduct.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Fighting is part of the game. Apparently you know nothing about the history of the sport. What would you take away next, the hitting or bodychecking? Fighting IS real "hockey playing".

JohnAn2112

Diamond Member
May 8, 2003
Originally posted by: meltdown75
Fighting is part of the game. Apparently you know nothing about the history of the sport. What would you take away next, the hitting or bodychecking? Fighting IS real "hockey playing".

Don't piss off Melty or he'll take you out Chris Simon style. ;)

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Originally posted by: JohnAn2112

I guess that's better than Dany Heatley style. :Q

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Originally posted by: jiggahertz
ice is stupid, people who walk on ice are even more stupid

that's why people who skate on ice are geniuses, right?

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Atheus

Well if we want to make a fair comparison, a regular fist fight in hockey would put the player in the penalty box for several minutes and be allowed to play again once the penalty is over.

kstu

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2004
Originally posted by: JujuFish
Originally posted by: JohnAn2112

I guess that's better than Dany Heatley style. :Q

:Q