Would the world be a BETTER place without religion?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: PingSpike
It'd be a better place if people just respected other people's choices regarding religions and shut the fvck up about it already.

Yeah, right. Look at this board. People here cannot even respect people's choices regarding cars, women and computer parts... and you expect them to do so with religion?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: His Lord Uberdude
Originally posted by: EngenZerO
my history teachers always said religion was created as an beacon of hope for the people in the dark ages...

You should sue your history teachers

The dark ages came after the age of the apostle, so the dark ages came when man turned away from God, not when they created him.:disgust:

Not to mention the fact that there were probably 1000s of other religions in existence before that time period.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Amused
It'd be a better place if people just respected other people's choices regarding religions and shut the fvck up about it already.

Yeah, right. Look at this board. People here cannot even respect people's choices regarding cars, women and computer parts... and you expect them to do so with religion?

No, I don't. Thats why I voted yes on the poll.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

But that's not an honest answer. The world would be quite the same because we would find something else to divide ourselves with. So to say the world would be a better place is illogical given our nature.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

But that's not an honest answer. The world would be quite the same because we would find something else to divide ourselves with. So to say the world would be a better place is illogical given our nature.

Religion allows people a moral justification for hate, and worse, it unifies large numbers of people who when really worked up go out and try to kill those people. In short, it gives large numbers of stupid people a focal point.

I agree that something else would surely fill the void because those stupid people would just sit around all day until they came up with something. But, meh...at least they might not be able to talk themselves into thinking they'll go to heaven for dragging a gay guy behind their truck.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
if there wasn't religion, people who are those exremeists would just ifnd something else to be crazy about, taking away religion wouldn't stop crazy religous people from acting crazy.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: YetioDoom
Imagine...

...Communism.

I forgot about that...if religion went away would could always go back to focusing on the red menace.

Seriously, religion has its place. I'm just bitter that its so often twisted and distorted to meet purposes that it was never intended for. But isn't everything like that?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Religion allows people a moral justification for hate, and worse, it unifies large numbers of people who when really worked up go out and try to kill those people. In short, it gives large numbers of stupid people a focal point.

I agree that something else would surely fill the void because those stupid people would just sit around all day until they came up with something. But, meh...at least they might not be able to talk themselves into thinking they'll go to heaven for dragging a gay guy behind their truck.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

It wasn't a promise of heaven that led Germany to murder 11 million people in camps and ovens. It wasn't promise of heaven that lead the communists around the world to murder tens of millions.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

And so does a professional basketball team winning (or losing) a championship game. And so does a hugely publicised trial not going the way a particular group wants. And so does trade confererences.

On so on and so forth.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Yep. The only solution is for to blow up the entire planet. I'm sure that'll happen on its own anyway. :p

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: The Lord
Originally posted by: hevnsnt
I wonder, would the world be a better place without religion. Take a look at the past, a lot of wars happened due to religious differences, look at the present.. The terrorists hate Americans due to religous differences..

Do you think that religion causes as much war/crime as it "prevents" I think so.
Man is the cause of that not religion. They pervert religion to suit their needs.
You are correct, oh Lord.

Mathlete

Aug 23, 2004
Wow. I can't believe this has not been said yet.

WRONG FORUM.

Keep this flamebait, anti-religous crap in P&N.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Yep. The only solution is for to blow up the entire planet. I'm sure that'll happen on its own anyway. :p

From wishful thinking to FUD in 7 minutes flat.

I'm impressed. :p

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Mathlete
Wow. I can't believe this has not been said yet.

WRONG FORUM.

Keep this flamebait, anti-religous crap in P&N.

Actually, we're having a civil discussion here. The kind that just doesn't exist in that other place.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

From wishful thinking to FUD in 6 minutes flat.

What? You're right ok. The whole world is horsesh|t and there's always going to be hate as long as people are in different classes. And even if we got to a point where everyone is equal, I'm sure we'd think of something. My comments were just sort of off the cuff, I didn't think I would have to be so serious in an Off Topic Poll who's third option is 'Gasoline'. (Which is starting to look like the correct answer...)

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

What? You're right ok. The whole world is horsesh|t and there's always going to be hate as long as people are in different classes. And even if we got to a point where everyone is equal, I'm sure we'd think of something. My comments were just sort of off the cuff, I didn't think I would have to be so serious in an Off Topic Poll who's third option is 'Gasoline'. (Which is starting to look like the correct answer...)

:laugh:

hevnsnt

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000

hahaha

Karsten

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you argue we would be better of without Religion than you are missing the basic fundamentals of life they have created. I dare to say Civilization would not be possible without it.

Ask your self where our laws originated...

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
If it wasn't religious belief causing fights, it would be families, social classes, or political classes. We are passionate about what we consider "ours." Power struggles and beliefs (based on religion or not) will cause problems, because people aren't naturally accepting of things which are different.

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
No. While religion can spure hatred or violence, it also brings people together under common ground. While Christmas can be argued as a now non-religious holiday, for many it still brings familys together to celebrate something they all take part in. There is also a bad and a good to everything. As as always, religion is a dangerous weapon in the hands of people with an agenda.