Would society's response to covid19 be any better if it affected the young more?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Malaria is so different. Anopheles mosquito bite spread. Human asymptomatic aerosol spread is kind of a nightmare scenario. Somehow a vaccine against malaria, at least an effective one seems to have eluded us.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'm just saying 3000 kids a day die from it. Not a peep from Americans. A transgender wants to use the women's room. OH MY GOD THE CHILDREN! We're stupid when it comes to *our* kids.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
We only care about kids to a certain point though.
Long before Covid...

Malaria kills one child every 30 seconds, about 3000 children every day. Over one million people die from malaria each year, mostly children under five years of age, with 90 per cent of malaria cases occurring in Sub-Saharan Africa

But it's not cute, white American kids. So..thoughts and prayers.
They also aren't American kids.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
no, the culture of fygm is entrenched in their mindset, bad shit never happens to the 'chosen people'

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I suspect it would. I've heard anecdotes of 20-somethings mocking people with masks, saying "it's not that bad, bro" and otherwise pretending it's just another year. They do that because they think the worst they'll get is a fever.

If younger adults were just as likely as seniors to be hospitalized or suffer long-term effects, you probably wouldn't hear about nearly as many house parties or pub crawls. The feeling of invincibility when you're young is real, but that fades pretty quickly if your friends end up on ventilators.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Hard to say. As younger people would be more cautious, they wouldn't transmit it to older people as often. But this would be offset by more deaths among younger people.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I suspect it would. I've heard anecdotes of 20-somethings mocking people with masks, saying "it's not that bad, bro" and otherwise pretending it's just another year. They do that because they think the worst they'll get is a fever.

If younger adults were just as likely as seniors to be hospitalized or suffer long-term effects, you probably wouldn't hear about nearly as many house parties or pub crawls. The feeling of invincibility when you're young is real, but that fades pretty quickly if your friends end up on ventilators.
I mean you'd see major hits to the workflow. Imagine if 200,000 American workers just dropped dead over the next 6 months what would happen to the economy.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I mean you'd see major hits to the workflow. Imagine if 200,000 American workers just dropped dead over the next 6 months what would happen to the economy.

Unfortunately, that might just happen regardless! Although I suspect you'd see swifter action if companies realized that many of the staff getting sick will never come back...

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
100% yes

people are selfish and will do what they want unless it directly impacts them

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
The Republicans would do their best to get any vaccines and any medical treatments to people in their supporters' states first.

I bet there would be one, two and three-tiered vaccines. One for reliably Red States and a second for states who have a majority of Republicans and a third-tier treatment for those Blue States.

The lives of Democrats do not matter much to racist Republicans.