Would she accept this excuse from someone in her courtroom?

Nov 17, 2019
The video consists exclusively of security camera footage of the break-in attempt. In the video, a couple of voices can be heard using a racial slur while reacting to the footage. None of the people heard speaking can be seen in the video.

In a response to criticism over the recording of racist language, Odinet said: “I was given a sedative at the time of the video. I have zero recollection of the video and the disturbing language used during it.”

“Anyone who knows me and my husband, knows this is contrary to the way we live our lives,” she continued. “I am deeply sorry and ask for your forgiveness and understanding as my family and I deal with the emotional aftermath of this armed burglary.”

On Friday, several officials blasted the video, with some calling on Odinet to step down.

I'm guessing not.

Nov 17, 2019
"Lafayette citizens and community organizers are filing complaints against Judge Michelle Odinet, and criminal defense attorneys are asking her to recuse herself from the cases of their defendants after racial slurs were captured in a video recorded inside the judge’s home was circulated on Monday.

“The community has no faith in her being able to deliberate justice fairly,” said Ravis Martinez, a Lafayette small-business owner who filed a complaint to the Judiciary Commission of Louisiana to investigate Odinet’s behavior. “We need to hold our leaders accountable when they make serious missteps like that. If I had to go to court this morning, and I were Black, how would I feel to be judged by her?”

On the video, Odinet’s family gathered to watch home security footage of an attempted burglary that took place Saturday in their driveway. Family members shout the N-word multiple times and make other racial comments toward the man accused of breaking into a car."

Past cases need to be reviewed too.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
The Ambien defense? Yikes.

She may certainly not be racist, post trauma effects, sedatives, stress may all have played a role but (even giving her the benefit of the doubt) you don't get to fuck up like this in her position.

I think it's the "Rosanne Defense"

This lady needs to step down and/or be impeached/disbarred... whatever it is when a judge gets fired.
At least the public and the defense attorneys are fighting against this.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
That video is bad. Holy shit. She needs to resign immediately. If not, I'm not sure what the process is to remove her but she needs to be removed! Oh yeah... there is no more racism and oh yeah there is no systemic racism.

This is also a perfect video example of how racism is spread through the generations. The family just having a family chuckle about the great person err roach.

Edit.. So. Anandtech "autocorrects" "n__ger" to "great person". Didn't know

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Have you ever had the experience of doing something that just wasn’t you? Isn’t it just a form of denial we are unwilling to extend to others because we recognize in others the lie they tell themselves we won’t allow ourselves to see about us? That person that wasn’t me I momentarily became, terrifying. Get thee behind me!!!

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Have you ever had the experience of doing something that just wasn’t you? Isn’t it just a form of denial we are unwilling to extend to others because we recognize in others the lie they tell themselves we won’t allow ourselves to see about us? That person that wasn’t me I momentarily became, terrifying. Get the behind me!!!
Yes, but I don't have a job effecting the public that could be influenced by my biases. Considering inequitable treatment to people of color by the CJS, standards must be higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
The Ambien defense? Yikes.

She may certainly not be racist, post trauma effects, sedatives, stress may all have played a role but (even giving her the benefit of the doubt) you don't get to fuck up like this in her position.

I actually believe using the Ambien defense is worse than what she said in the video. Basically she wants to get away with a non-apology. That might work for a private citizen but not for someone in her position.

Question: How did a compromising video from *inside her home* leak out?

Answer: Her kids.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I actually believe using the Ambien defense is worse than what she said in the video. Basically she wants to get away with a non-apology. That might work for a private citizen but not for someone in her position.

Question: How did a compromising video from *inside her home* leak out?

Answer: Her kids.
Whoever released it, did they think it was funny or were they trying to out the racism in their family?

Nov 17, 2019
I actually believe using the Ambien defense is worse than what she said in the video.
Hence the thread title. She (or any Judge) would not accept this as a defense in most any case.

It might have a bearing on mitigating a sentence, but not the verdict.

We can't have judges that are so two faced.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Just for my understanding, did she use the racial slurs or was she around when they were being used ?

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
At least some states have rules where the state supreme court can expel a judge for "Removal for Cause."
At least some states also have rules where State Legislature can can expel a judge for "Removal by Address."

This clear lack of impartiality should have both the State Supreme Court and the State Legislature working to remove the Judge, if she doesn't resign first.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Just for my understanding, did she use the racial slurs or was she around when they were being used ?
If it wasn't her she could have said so. She just claimed stoned.

I listened to the video. She sounded lucid and coherent. No slurred speech. Anyone disagree?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pohemi

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Hence the thread title. She (or any Judge) would not accept this as a defense in most any case.

It might have a bearing on mitigating a sentence, but not the verdict.

We can't have judges that are so two faced.
You say that as if there were some alternative. Personally I would want a judge that says, I'm a racist all right, but I don't like it and will do everything I know how to do to keep it out of my court. Racism has its roots in our capacity to think, to differentiate and compare, to name things. When those names become attached to painful experiences we all become bigots. Thought is a form of bigotry. You won't find an unbiased judge who would be willing to judge. There is only love. Of course this is just my opinion judgmental as it may be.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You say that as if there were some alternative. Personally I would want a judge that says, I'm a racist all right, but I don't like it and will do everything I know how to do to keep it out of my court. Racism has its roots in our capacity to think, to differentiate and compare, to name things. When those names become attached to painful experiences we all become bigots. Thought is a form of bigotry. You won't find an unbiased judge who would be willing to judge. There is only love. Of course this is just my opinion judgmental as it may be.
Same answer. As long as minorities get unequal treatment by the CJS standards for judges need to be higher.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah drugs don't make you say things. They kill your higher brain function and your inhibition drops. You're more likely to be honest because you can't formulate a good lie.

Nov 17, 2019
We all have our opinions and biases. We choose our frinds and where we live, what music we listen to, what shows we watch are all based in part on our biases. How we act at home is often completely different than how we act at work or in public.

What she said in the privacy of her own home is one thing. That may affect her impartiality.

Her 'excuse' is what affects her credibility.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
We all have our opinions and biases. We choose our frinds and where we live, what music we listen to, what shows we watch are all based in part on our biases. How we act at home is often completely different than how we act at work or in public.

What she said in the privacy of her own home is one thing. That may affect her impartiality.

Her 'excuse' is what affects her credibility.
Yes it affects her credibility in your mind. That is a judgment that you have the capacity to judge what is credible. I have no problem that you make the judgement, I only have a problem with how automatically you do that without, it would seem, recognizing the truth of what I am saying here. I smell assumed credibility to judge on your part. I would like to say to myself I'm not myself when I do that, but I am myself when I say both I would not like to be that me.and that IS me alright.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Yeah drugs don't make you say things. They kill your higher brain function and your inhibition drops. You're more likely to be honest because you can't formulate a good lie.
Honest only about what you really feel, not that there is any honesty in what you actually do feel. What you honestly feel is a lie.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi