Would Pro Farmville Gamers Make Better Farmers Than Non-Gamers?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I think that your typical Farmville player would pass out from exhaustion attempting to harvest their first farm sized crop with hand tools.

I guess that you could give them something like a combine, but they would probably kill themselves trying to operate it. Besides, items like that cost premium currency in most farming games:)

Reactions: waffleironhead

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Absolutely, just knowing that Farmville exists without ever even playing it, gives me a leg up on real farmers.

Reactions: zinfamous

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I guess that you could give them something like a combine, but they would probably kill themselves trying to operate it.

those things are dangerous even when you're not operating it - my kid cousin ran headfirst into the corn header when it was sitting in the shop. he was too intent on finding a good spot for hide and seek to look where he was going.

he ended up being OK and also got one of those cool scars that last a lifetime

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
When my calf is scouring, I always look back to my days playing farmville and think: boy was that way more easy than keeping this calf alive,

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It's easy to murder your neighbor and salt their earth when they steal your celery in Farmville; I'm not sure if such a gamer would so easily carry that strategy over to the real world.

see: Rand Paul.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Farmers are educated.

If you are an outsider who wants to get into the dance, go to college and go to the Agricultural and Natural Resources department or equivalent. (I think the name I know is for the University of Maryland.)

So yeah, despite the contempt that they are backwards, agricultural knowledge is indeed on the same level as others....it's "higher education".

Now, farmers share quite a bit with lawyers and other businessmen too. They also possess skills to break into cars and steal from people. They are essential for society because food is necessary but can be ethically bankrupt on a personal, local level. The honest farmer is a myth to hide how disgusting they can be morally.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi
Feb 4, 2009
Farmers are educated.

If you are an outsider who wants to get into the dance, go to college and go to the Agricultural and Natural Resources department or equivalent. (I think the name I know is for the University of Maryland.)

So yeah, despite the contempt that they are backwards, agricultural knowledge is indeed on the same level as others....it's "higher education".

Now, farmers share quite a bit with lawyers and other businessmen too. They also possess skills to break into cars and steal from people. They are essential for society because food is necessary but can be ethically bankrupt on a personal, local level. The honest farmer is a myth to hide how disgusting they can be morally.

Who said farmers are dumb?

well I have said their voting practices are dumb and their resistance to change is dumb but those are personality things and they didn’t happen here unless you view the spoiler

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
No, you don't get any real skills from playing mobile games. How do you be a pro Farmville player anyway?

Farming simulator on the other hand... though you will still be missing some of the basics, like how to manually hook up the various bits of equipment you need.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Maybe. Never played it, but I suspect it at least has vague references to certain things that could be useful to some. Only in a Survival/Civ Rebuild scenario anyway, assuming no Ag Workers survived. Everyone is probably doomed if that is the deciding factor.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Someone looking for a way into farmersonly.com?
jZGgghi.png

ItsFlybye

Apr 30, 2018
I seriously doubt it. Once a gamer realizes the actual phyisical work involved, things could go very wrong.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Buddy of mine that lives on a smaller farm and raises just a handful of beef cattle laughed when I asked him if he was a Farmville gamer. He commented that he'd like to witness players of the game trying to equate it into any type of physical work, haha.

I think a farm sim could possibly give some more generalized knowledge that a non-farmer might not have previously known, but far too many details and little ins-n-outs for it to be "transferrable" knowledge, in my opinion.

It's a more ridiculous notion than the idea of someone learning how to be a (Pro) Bass fisherman simply by spending countless hours playing Bassmaster. It might give you some useable info, but it's not going to translate to realworld, hands-on activity.