Would my Memory be Compatible with these Boards even if its not Listed? HELP

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
So I have this memory on my current rig (Signature) G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2X8GB)
MODEL: F4-2400C15D-16GVR
Link
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231888

I am concidering buying one of these 2 motherboards.
ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING Intel LGA 1151
https://www.amazon.com/Asus-LGA1151-Motherboard-Z170-PRO/dp/B0126R3QPA

ASUS Z170-AR LGA1151 Z170
https://www.amazon.com/Z170-AR-Motherboard-unlock-superb-performance/dp/B013KS5TAE

But according to the Asus website my memory is not on the list for either board so it doesn't seem to be compatible. To be on the safe side does anyone know if I would run into any issues running memory not listed on their website with any of these two boards? I want to be on the safe side.

Thanks

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Why are deciding on buying boards that old? Get a B360 or Z370 board instead with a Coffee Lake CPU. instead.

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
I can't imagine any board having trouble running that RAM.

I checked GSkill's site, and according to them both those boards work with that memory. https://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=29&chip=2484&model=2534

When memory is clocked that low I don't even check QVL lists when building, because if a board can't run bog standard memory speeds there's something wrong with the board. Memory is memory, as long as it conforms to the standards of the industry it should work fine. Of course that doesn't mean you can stick 4000MHz memory in your build and expect it to run at those speeds, but that too should be able to run with practically any board at a lower speed.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
When memory is clocked that low I don't even check QVL lists when building, because if a board can't run bog standard memory speeds there's something wrong with the board. Memory is memory, as long as it conforms to the standards of the industry it should work fine.

There's more to memory than speed. Sometimes memory is simply incompatible. When both Skylake and Ryzen launched, there were people whose system wouldn't boot at all because they didn't buy RAM on the QVL lists. Sometimes the motherboard needed a BIOS update for it to work. It's not that common, but it can happen.

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
There's more to memory than speed. Sometimes memory is simply incompatible. When both Skylake and Ryzen launched, there were people whose system wouldn't boot at all because they didn't buy RAM on the QVL lists. Sometimes the motherboard needed a BIOS update for it to work. It's not that common, but it can happen.

Wasn't this just "growing pains" for Ryzen since it was a completely new architecture/platform? Like you said, all it took was BIOS updates to get the board to recognize the memory and set the correct settings. I haven't heard of the Skylake issues but I wasn't really paying attention to tech at the time of its release, but I guess it makes sense since it was Intels first desktop arch with DDR4 too.

edit: My overarching point being that I think these issues are ironed out by now.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
You just confirmed my doubts. I guess I won't be buying any of those 2 boards since my memory is not on the QVL.
Why are deciding on buying boards that old? Get a B360 or Z370 board instead with a Coffee Lake CPU. instead.
Why? because I don't have money, I just want a new Board that I won't have issues running my 6700K. I do have a little extra cash saved but I am buying a GTX 1070 ti with that.

Thanks.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
You just confirmed my doubts. I guess I won't be buying any of those 2 boards since my memory is not on the QVL.

Why? because I don't have money, I just want a new Board that I won't have issues running my 6700K. I do have a little extra cash saved but I am buying a GTX 1070 ti with that.

Thanks.

Campy said that G Skill's website said that memory is compatible with your motherboard. The motherboard manufacturers and the memory manufacturers both maintain QVL lists. As long as it's on it, you won't have any problems.

In fact, outside of Asus, the memory manufacturers don't update their QVL very much after they publish their first QVL.

Edit

I just checked G Skill's website, and the RAM you listed is compatible with the motherboard you listed (just click the QVL tab).

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2400c15d-16gvr

Last edited:

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Campy said that G Skill's website said that memory is compatible with your motherboard. The motherboard manufacturers and the memory manufacturers both maintain QVL lists. As long as it's on it, you won't have any problems.

In fact, outside of Asus, the memory manufacturers don't update their QVL very much after they publish their first QVL.

Edit

I just checked G Skill's website, and the RAM you listed is compatible with the motherboard you listed.

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2400c15d-16gvr
DID NOT read that for some reason! Sorry about that. One minute.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I can't imagine any board having trouble running that RAM.

I checked GSkill's site, and according to them both those boards work with that memory. https://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=29&chip=2484&model=2534

When memory is clocked that low I don't even check QVL lists when building, because if a board can't run bog standard memory speeds there's something wrong with the board. Memory is memory, as long as it conforms to the standards of the industry it should work fine. Of course that doesn't mean you can stick 4000MHz memory in your build and expect it to run at those speeds, but that too should be able to run with practically any board at a lower speed.

Wow! thank you so much man! That's so cool, I didn't know you can do it on the Memory website too! I thought it was just on the Motherboards Site and their QVL.

That just boosted my confidence a lot more in regards to buying either of those 2 boards which are great due to their price which is within my budget at the moment. Just to clarify however, do you have any idea why its on the G.Skill website but not on the Asus QVL? like whose word should you really take for it? I just checked the link you posted and you are 100% right it does say that my memory is compatible. But on the Asus site for each board it doesn't list it.

You know when you buy something tech and you want it to work right the first time? That's the boat I am in right now. As soon as I figure this out and the seller sends me the Serial Number so I can ask Asus about the warranty I am going to go ahead and buy one of those 2 boards, they are the ones I liked the most.

But honestly big thank you, that's something good to know about Memory compatibility. Never knew you can look it up on their website also.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Wow! thank you so much man! That's so cool, I didn't know you can do it on the Memory website too! I thought it was just on the Motherboards Site and their QVL List.

That just boosted my confidence a lot more in regards to buying either of those 2 boards which are great due to their price which is within my budget at the moment. Just to clarify however, do you have any idea why its on the G.Skill website but not on the Asus QVL List? like whose word should you really take for it?

But honestly big thank you, that's something good to know.

Like I said, the motherboard companies don't have any need to test every RAM module made. They test some, and the list largely stays the same. The RAM manufacturers who keep making new modules all the time, have a big interest in their RAM working correctly with motherboards, so people will keep buying their products in the future.

As long as it's on one of the QVL lists, you will be good to go.

Reactions: EpicSurvivor

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Like I said, the motherboard companies don't have any need to test every RAM module made. They test some, and the list largely stays the same. The RAM manufacturers who keep making new modules all the time, have a big interest in their RAM working correctly with motherboards, so people will keep buying their products in the future.

As long as it's on one of the QVL lists, you will be good to go.
Right on! Great answer. And sorry for not paying attention to earlier replies, was distracted.

I am so excited now!! Just waiting on the sellers reply tomorrow.

Thank you all and Thanks Admin.

By the way just for other options, Admin. I noticed you're running a 6700K as well. Do you (Or anyone else) have any Good recommendations for a Good board for that CPU? I am buying Used on eBay so its Cheaper, but my Budget is to find something really cheap below $70. More options the better, all though I have looked for almost 6 hours and these are the 2 (Listed above) That I liked the most, budget is also important has to be below $70

Both the Motherboards I listed above are selling at around $65 where I found them. Got any suggestions or recommendations you could make? I am keeping everything on my Signature except the Motherboard (Of course) and the GTX 970 going to a GTX 1070 or 1070ti.

Also sorry for making this so long. I have spoken to Asus on the phone and they have confirmed that Warranties do transfer and that they can check with the Serial Number. Not sure if its the same with MSI or ASrock, want to Avoid Gigabyte though. I will call MSI and ASrock tomorrow to confirm.

Many thanks.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016

Thanks.
It has nothing to with lack of money. But what is wrong with your old board that you want to replace it?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
By the way just for other options, Admin. I noticed you're running a 6700K as well. Do you (Or anyone else) have any Good recommendations for a Good board for that CPU? I am buying Used on eBay so its Cheaper, but my Budget is to find something really cheap below $70. More options the better, all though I have looked for almost 6 hours and these are the 2 (Listed above) That I liked the most, budget is also important has to be below $70

I have been very happy with my Asrock board in my sig, but it likely won't be that low. I'd say picking out an Asus or Asrock board would be a good choice, but there are also quite a few people who like MSI boards here, but I haven't used one in close to 18 years now.

If you watch for a sale on a place like Newegg, you might be able to grab a new Z170/Z270 motherboard in your price range.

This one would be a good choice, and is only $90 right now:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157629&ignorebbr=1

But I also imagine you can grab one of those boards at a good price here from the people upgrading to Ryzen / Coffee Lake. Prices on the "old" CPUs and motherboards are pretty low since the "MOAR!!!" core CPUs came out. :)

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
It has nothing to with lack of money. But what is wrong with your old board that you want to replace it?
What do you mean it has nothing to do with lack of money? haha? o_O I am broke right now. With my Old Board? well, Two things. #1 Audio issues many are reporting on Newegg reviews, I have this and have had it since I've owned this board, and frankly its quiet annoying. #2 Also a known issue confirmed by a friend of mine "Some" of these boards have temperature issues. Not sure if its related to Skylake or just the 6700k but temperatures are way too high, I forcefully have to Undervolt to a negative offset of -0.65 in BIOS so my temperatures stay cooler. If I were to run the Computer with Stock Vcore Voltage and everything at default (Well everything is practically at the default anyway) my temperatures just from playing a Match or two of R6 Siege would go upwards of 75c or possibly slightly higher not even Overclocked and it has nothing to do with Cooling.

That to me is uncomfortable, I don't even have room to start learning how to Overclock due to this limitation.

However if I Undervolt as I stated above to a stable negative offset of -0.65 in BIOS my Temperatures tend to be around 69c-70c from a match or 2 on Siege. My Cooler isn't made for overclocking I know that, trust me but there is no reason why my CPU should be reaching 75 or even 76c from just 30 minutes of Gaming at Stock Voltages.

Also if I undervolt and run RealBench or PRIME 95 26.6 My temperatures Do not go Over 72c after 15-25 minutes. But If I were to run any of these on Stock Voltage My Temperatures would reach close to 80c. Those are temperatures people reach on Overlcock Not from running the CPU at default stock Voltage.

I've had other people argue that this is normal for my CPU and sure even though its not in danger its a bit too high for me and tends to make me uncomfortable.

Cryorig M9i with 6700K Stock and OC
https://www.hardwareslave.com/reviews/cooling/cryorig-m9i-intel-cpu-cooler-review/4/

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I have been very happy with my Asrock board in my sig, but it likely won't be that low. I'd say picking out an Asus or Asrock board would be a good choice, but there are also quite a few people who like MSI boards here, but I haven't used one in close to 18 years now.

If you watch for a sale on a place like Newegg, you might be able to grab a new Z170/Z270 motherboard in your price range.

This one would be a good choice, and is only $90 right now:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157629&ignorebbr=1

But I also imagine you can grab one of those boards at a good price here from the people upgrading to Ryzen / Coffee Lake. Prices on the "old" CPUs and motherboards are pretty low since the "MOAR!!!" core CPUs came out. :)
Awesome! I actually have that very same AsRock Board saved in my Bookmarks, its one of my options, that one and its cheaper cousin. I did look for GPU's on the FS/FT Forums, have not checked for Motherboards yet, not accustomed to looking there at all actually ever since I've being a Member here.

Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
What do you mean it has nothing to do with lack of money? haha? o_O I am broke right now. With my Old Board? well, Two things. #1 Audio issues many are reporting on Newegg reviews, I have this and have had it since I've owned this board, and frankly its quiet annoying. #2 Also a known issue confirmed by a friend of mine "Some" of these boards have temperature issues. Not sure if its related to Skylake or just the 6700k but temperatures are way too high, I forcefully have to Undervolt to a negative offset of -0.65 in BIOS so my temperatures stay cooler. If I were to run the Computer with Stock Vcore Voltage and everything at default (Well everything is practically at the default anyway) my temperatures just from playing a Match or two of R6 Siege would go upwards of 75c or possibly slightly higher not even Overclocked and it has nothing to do with Cooling.

That to me is uncomfortable, I don't even have room to start learning how to Overclock due to this limitation.

However if I Undervolt as I stated above to a stable negative offset of -0.65 in BIOS my Temperatures tend to be around 69c-70c from a match or 2 on Siege. My Cooler isn't made for overclocking I know that, trust me but there is no reason why my CPU should be reaching 75 or even 76c from just 30 minutes of Gaming at Stock Voltages.

Also if I undervolt and run RealBench or PRIME 95 26.6 My temperatures Do not go Over 72c after 15-25 minutes. But If I were to run any of these on Stock Voltage My Temperatures would reach close to 80c. Those are temperatures people reach on Overlcock Not from running the CPU at default stock Voltage.

I've had other people argue that this is normal for my CPU and sure even though its not in danger its a bit too high for me and tends to make me uncomfortable.

Cryorig M9i with 6700K Stock and OC
https://www.hardwareslave.com/reviews/cooling/cryorig-m9i-intel-cpu-cooler-review/4/
In your case would get a Z270 board instead as they are newer and may fixed your issues. Have you tried a BIOS update?

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
In your case would get a Z270 board instead as they are newer and may fixed your issues. Have you tried a BIOS update?
I have actually, I've read that older BIOS fixed the temperature issue for some people it only made it worse for me. Had to revert back to new BIOS.

I have my eye on 3 different Board at the moment and this is from spending 2 days searching and reading. 2 Asus Listed above on my Original Post are my main two choices as I know that Asus warranty does transfer because I spoke to the rep on the phone. The other one is an MSI which some highly regard as good motherboards but I will call them tomorrow and ask about Warranty transfer and Warranty Check.

Asus seems like a great alternative for buying used since they offer to check warranty according to the Serial Number and they can do it over the phone. Like I said going to call MSI tomorrow see if they offer the same results.

I am on a tight budget at the moment and don't want to spend more than $70 on a Used Motherboard. I have a lot of them on my eBay wish list that I am keeping an eye on. If not other opportunities will come up. I do want to buy it in the next 2 or 3 weeks for sure.

Tired of dealing with the issues this one has, just want something solid/stable I can game on and have no issues on. I do plan on building a whole new Intel system before next summer. That's why I want something cheap for now.

This is the first Computer I built on my own. I built it February 2016 with no help (Big deal for me haha) then took it apart to RMA The board October 2016 only to get a replacement with the same issues. Surprisingly it took me only 35 minutes to get everything back to together and have it running. So I am learning. However it would be amazing to have a Motherboard where I can start learning How to Overclock, I have the CPU For it just need something stable. Its not on my plans honestly and it scares me a little since it can damage the CPU if done incorrectly but at some point I do admit I'd like to learn and a new motherboard with none of these temperatures issues should provide a good platform to start learning. I't don't have to be anything crazy since I don't have a decent cooler, but I am sure I can get a small Overclock just to learn, test and see.

I did read in the article above about the Cryorig M9i that they managed to Overclock the 6700K 400Mhz, not sure what that's equivalent to. I assume maybe 4.2Ghz max?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I have actually, I've read that older BIOS fixed the temperature issue for some people it only made it worse for me. Had to revert back to new BIOS.

I have my eye on 3 different Board at the moment and this is from spending 2 days searching and reading. 2 Asus Listed above on my Original Post are my main two choices as I know that Asus warranty does transfer because I spoke to the rep on the phone. The other one is an MSI which some highly regard as good motherboards but I will call them tomorrow and ask about Warranty transfer and Warranty Check.

Asus seems like a great alternative for buying used since they offer to check warranty according to the Serial Number and they can do it over the phone. Like I said going to call MSI tomorrow see if they offer the same results.

I am on a tight budget at the moment and don't want to spend more than $70 on a Used Motherboard. I have a lot of them on my eBay wish list that I am keeping an eye on. If not other opportunities will come up. I do want to buy it in the next 2 or 3 weeks for sure.

Tired of dealing with the issues this one has, just want something solid/stable I can game on and have no issues on. I do plan on building a whole new Intel system before next summer. That's why I want something cheap for now.

This is the first Computer I built on my own. I built it February 2016 with no help (Big deal for me haha) then took it apart to RMA The board October 2016 only to get a replacement with the same issues. Surprisingly it took me only 35 minutes to get everything back to together and have it running. So I am learning. However it would be amazing to have a Motherboard where I can start learning How to Overclock, I have the CPU For it just need something stable. Its not on my plans honestly and it scares me a little since it can damage the CPU if done incorrectly but at some point I do admit I'd like to learn and a new motherboard with none of these temperatures issues should provide a good platform to start learning. I't don't have to be anything crazy since I don't have a decent cooler, but I am sure I can get a small Overclock just to learn, test and see.

I did read in the article above about the Cryorig M9i that they managed to Overclock the 6700K 400Mhz, not sure what that's equivalent to. I assume maybe 4.2Ghz max?
Well here are some z270 boards that are open box and refurbish that can be had for around your price range.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...24&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012