Would my cooling system be enough for the new CPU?

Locobox

Apr 17, 2014
Hi everyone.

I want to upgrade my laptop's CPU to a faster Processor.

The laptop in question is an HP CQ60-359LA (P/N: NN145LA#ABM)

My machine specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 (800MHz/ 35Watts TDP)
RAM: 4GBs DDR2 PC2-6400
DISK 1: SSD SATA3 Crucial M4 128GBs (Boot Disk)
DISK 2: HDD SATA2 Toshiba 500GBs
CHIPSET: Intel GM45

According to my laptop's manual the CPU is user upgradable.

On the website below this line is a full list of all the supported CPUs for this laptop.

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_%28chipsets%29/GM45_Express.html

I want to buy the Intel Core 2 Extreme Mobile QX9300 which has a compatible FSB and CPU Socket (Socket P 478) but what stops me from buying this wonderful CPU is that it has a higher TDP than my current CPU.

Core 2 Duo T6400 TDP = 35 WATTS

Core 2 Extreme QX9300 TDP = 45 WATTS

Is not clear if the cooling solution included with this laptop will be able to handle those 10 Extra Watts of heat and I could not find any info on the capacity of the cooling system.

I don't want to end up with an ultra hot/unstable machine on my lap.

Do you think my actual cooling system will be able to cool the new processor I want (The QX9300)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
"Maybe". Does your laptop support temperature monitoring from within Windows? Under stress testing / gaming / normal usage, how hot does it get?

I think a better question might be, "should I upgrade this laptop" though. Unless you're getting a screaming deal, the cheapest I see that chip on eBay is $150. If you were to sell your current laptop or part it out (keep the SSD), you would probably have close to a $300 budget, which will buy something with several times the battery life and similar speed to the Core2Quad you're looking to put into it. I could understand if it had a nice screen, fantastic discrete GPU, or something along those lines, but it appears it was a budget laptop close to 6 years ago.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Are you sure the laptop's bios will accept a 45 watt CPU? Even if the chipset supports it, the laptop may not. I searched around for a minute, the only CPU I see offered for that laptop is the one you have... you might want to do some research on that.

Locobox

Apr 17, 2014
@Yuriman
Yes the machine supports temperature monitoring from within Windows, I will stress it to see how hot it gets.

I also considered replacing the laptop but I can get the QX9300 for about $50 from a friend a very good price for a $150-$180 CPU. Apart from the CPU deal I already got several batteries (About 4 extended capacity batteries) for this model.

@
SlowSpyder
According to the laptop's manufacturer the machine supports all Core 2 Duo processors for Socket P. The service manual has even a T9900 CPU as a spare part for this same model. But I could not find any info on BIOS CPU limitations.

The BIOS is up to date.