Would generic memory be ok if I'm overclocking my CPU?

LoStZ

Feb 17, 2000
Hi, I'm planning on getting a 256MB PC-133 stick. I did a search and read previous posts regarding "generic" memory. The common statement is that "don't get generic if you're gonna overclock". I just like to ask and have someone clarify by overclocking, is this meant overclocking the memory itself? If I bought a generic 256 and I overclocked my CPU, would this be any of a problem? Does overclocking your CPU (FSB settings) have anything to do with the memory? Or do I have to get "decent" brand if I'm gonna overclock my CPU? Please let me know, thanks alot.

RedShirt

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2000
Hello,
First off, many people will tell you to not buy Generic Memory even if your planning on overclocking while others will tell you it's ok. Currently, I have 384 megs of Generic memory in my computer with a Duron 600 OC to 900 without any problems. However, I do not change my FSB in overclocking my processor. If you have a Tunderbird Class of CPU you can use the Pencil trick to unlock the multiplier and do not need to change the FSB. If you have an Intel CPU then the only way you can overclock is by the FSB. Changing the FSB of the processor does change the speed at which your RAM runs, but there are ways you can combat this.

If your processor runs at 133 mhz, depending on your shipset you may be able to SUBTRACT the PCI clock from the FSB. In essance, non-overclocked your RAM would run at 100 mhz. Overclocking the CPU would make the PCI bus and the FSB increase in MHz, however, with this setting you would not hit 133 mhz, you'd probably hit somewhere inbetween 100 to 110 or so, depending on how much you can overclock the CPU. Then again, the RAM might be able to take the increased bus speed and work perfectly fine at 140 mhz or however high you decide to overclock the processor...

I hope this helps... Name brand IS the way to go, but some of us don't have the money to spend, especially with these generic prices

LoStZ

Feb 17, 2000
Thanks for the helpful response. I was planning on getting this:

MULTIWAVE 32X64 PC133 256MB SDRAM DIMM (LIFETIME WARRANTY) $117.00

Anyone used mwave memory, and is it decent? I'm using a Abit KT7-Raid board and just wanna be sure it'll work on my board. Most likely it should, but I just wanna double check and get responses from those who used mwave memory. Thanks.

ChipNOW

May 8, 2000
Look... Generic memory may be substantially cheaper, but I wouldn't use it if I could help it. Memory is truly a part which you just cannot skimp on.

Tonec

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
Mwave sells basically every brand out there depending on whats availible. They don't have a single generic manufacturer like some other stores. Should be ok for your need though.