Would a HP or Gateway desktop (built in the US) be 220v compatible?

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Would a US built desktop work in Korea (220v) or not?

I know most power supplies say 100-240v but I'm not sure about HP/ Gateway desktops.

Anyone know for sure?

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
I saw some Dells from a LONG time ago (like 2003) with a switch for 120v vs 220v. I can't imagine that they, or anyone, stopped this practice. Here's a link to a similar question (and answer) from about 8 years ago: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/8238075/8361061.aspx#8361061

Edit: Upon more searching, it seems that some Dells (and thus other manufacturers) may use proprietary "auto-sensing" PSUs; all you need to do is get an adapter for the prongs. I would recommend checking out documentation for the exact computer you plan on getting.

Here's more support from HP: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...esId=96422&prodTypeId=12454&objectID=bph06788

Last edited:

esse09

Dec 10, 2012
Cheaper PSU intended for one market only may support only one tensions... so be careful because it wouldn't be nice to plug a 110v into a 220v outlet.
If you don't have a switch on the back that says 110 - 220, carefully check documentation.
If you could open up the system and report the model numbers and the info on the psu sticker it could help.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Edit: Upon more searching, it seems that some Dells (and thus other manufacturers) may use proprietary "auto-sensing" PSUs; all you need to do is get an adapter for the prongs.

There's nothing really proprietary about that. Most PSUs are auto-sensing these days. Most switchmode power supplies are auto-sensing these days (everything from your cell phone charger to your computer).

OP, as Sleepingforest said, it would very likely "just work" with a plug adapter. Post the exact model of the computer and we can look up the docs to confirm.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
It's probably easier for you to look at the computer itself. Look at the back of the PSU, if it makes any references to voltage. Open up the case, there should be a sticker with specs. If you can't find any of these, find the model number of the PSU printed on the sticker and post it here.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
These are all built in china anyway. Gateway is just a brand owned by acer nowadays.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Maybe not. Sometimes even the Cycles of the power is at a different frequency. There might be some transformers that can convert power or the power supply may be capable of both 220 and 110. South Korea has a lot of foreign interaction with other countries so they probably have some solutions for this. It probably depends where you live. I lived in town in one korean town near a large army base and I remember using a stereo and TV in the local community.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Maybe not. Sometimes even the Cycles of the power is at a different frequency. There might be some transformers that can convert power or the power supply may be capable of both 220 and 110. South Korea has a lot of foreign interaction with other countries so they probably have some solutions for this. It probably depends where you live. I lived in town in one korean town near a large army base and I remember using a stereo and TV in the local community.

Any PSU with a wide input voltage range is very likely to be dual-frequency (50Hz/60Hz) as well.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
If the model is made for export, it will likely have a voltage change switch. If all else fails, you can always run with an external xformer.