Would a bad cpu cause a system not to post?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Elvis2, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Elvis2

Elvis2 Platinum Member

i'm trying to help a young lady ( no $ ) get her system up and running. she got a bad keyboard error, shut it down, plugged in a new keyboard, hit the button and nada, nothing, zip, zero. no beeps, no lights, nothing.
    i've read that these cheapy p/s's spike and take out the mb when turned on sometimes. my dvm registerd no voltage from the p/s. i bought a new intel 845 mATX mb and plugged in a new 300w p/s and now i get a pulse but no post, no beeps, no video. i also noticed that eventhough the mb's a socket 478 w/845 chipset, it doesn't support a Celeron D 2.93 processor.
    i went on the b/s/t forum and might have a compatible cpu coming but shouldn't the thing even post?
    tia ;)

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - system post Forum Date
    Yet another "looking for system advice" post :D General Hardware May 30, 2012
    Posting from my new system! Questions: General Hardware May 25, 2012
    New Build Issue - System powers on and off and doesn't post General Hardware Jul 26, 2011
    Having trouble getting a system to post with PCIE card in it General Hardware Dec 8, 2010
    System will not POST General Hardware Jul 17, 2009

3. Zap

Zap Elite Member

The 845 chipset is pretty old while the Celeron D is a Prescott style chip, meaning a likely compatibility issue. And yes, incompatibilities between the CPU and motherboard (even if it is just a BIOS update) may cause a no-POST situation.

4. 0roo0roo

0roo0roo No Lifer

m/b is more likely to die than cpu.
    only real way of testing is to swap with a working system to eliminate the problem bit.
    did the system work with just psu upgrade?

5. Elvis2

Elvis2 Platinum Member

yep, that was it. just installed an older 2.4 northy/533/512 and it works fine.
    thanks,
    :D

6. Zap

Zap Elite Member

:thumbsup: Wunderbar!