Would a bad cpu cause a system not to post?

Elvis2

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2001
i'm trying to help a young lady ( no $ ) get her system up and running. she got a bad keyboard error, shut it down, plugged in a new keyboard, hit the button and nada, nothing, zip, zero. no beeps, no lights, nothing.
i've read that these cheapy p/s's spike and take out the mb when turned on sometimes. my dvm registerd no voltage from the p/s. i bought a new intel 845 mATX mb and plugged in a new 300w p/s and now i get a pulse but no post, no beeps, no video. i also noticed that eventhough the mb's a socket 478 w/845 chipset, it doesn't support a Celeron D 2.93 processor.
i went on the b/s/t forum and might have a compatible cpu coming but shouldn't the thing even post?
tia ;)

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
The 845 chipset is pretty old while the Celeron D is a Prescott style chip, meaning a likely compatibility issue. And yes, incompatibilities between the CPU and motherboard (even if it is just a BIOS update) may cause a no-POST situation.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
m/b is more likely to die than cpu.
only real way of testing is to swap with a working system to eliminate the problem bit.
did the system work with just psu upgrade?

Elvis2

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Zap
The 845 chipset is pretty old while the Celeron D is a Prescott style chip, meaning a likely compatibility issue. And yes, incompatibilities between the CPU and motherboard (even if it is just a BIOS update) may cause a no-POST situation.

yep, that was it. just installed an older 2.4 northy/533/512 and it works fine.
thanks,
:D

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Elvis2
yep, that was it. just installed an older 2.4 northy/533/512 and it works fine.

:thumbsup: Wunderbar!