worst possible choice for a funeral prayer.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Well, I came home to visit for veteran's day, and this morning, my mother went to the funeral of the son of one of her coworkers.

Preface: Turns out this guy was almost exactly my age and was in my (same school) graduating class. I never knew him, but it is still a sad event.

Apparrently, he died in a motorcycle accident on 11/6, the story that I'm told is that he was following his girlfriend somewhere and some guy cut him off. He got pissed, and sped up, but ended up t-boning some car that pulled out of a cross street. Supposedly he flew ~300 ft before face planting. Died a few hours later, I guess. Now, it is really sad, but I never met the guy, so I'm able to be a bit detached.

Anyway, my mother came back this afternoon, and she had a few papers from the funeral, which I found on the kitchen table. One of them was a laminated 'In memory of' card with his name, his picture, and a short prayer. I simply cannot imagine a worse choice for the prayer.

pic of card

I feel a bit evil posting it, but I cut his name and pic, so it's not too bad, I think.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
I've gotta wonder, did the family just let the funeral people make the card? Did they not know how he died?

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Most likely. Famous Irish poverb. I am not sure I agree it's the *worst* prayer you could have. It's actually a very nice prayer, just bad circumstances.

ThaPerculator

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
Yeah, if I was the family, I'd be pissed. That's just laziness on the part of the funeral home or whomever was responsible for the cards. The funeral home's number one responsibility is taking care of the family and honoring the lost in the best way possible.

Then again, maybe the kid just had a really good sense of humor.