Worst meat I have ever eaten

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Bar M Hot Links. These are good sized in the package, and were on sale for something like $3 for a pack of 12. My hope is that they don't damage the garbage disposal when I throw the rest of them out. Casing, skin, was tough, not an issue in itself, but the inside was wet and mushy, lots of hot, nothing like meat I could detect.

I understand all makers or just about all add water to a hot dog type thing, the water boiling and making steam is what makes them "plump" on the grill. I am also used to a fair amount of fat, and poke holes to let it drain out while cooking. These were just gross.

Weird, Bar M I think makes the chicken based corndogs I like.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Usually the typical hot dog flavor is a mix of garlic and paprika. No matter what meat they use, they need some kind of binder in the casing. Beef dogs are my favorite because it's fairly easy for them to gauge fat percentage and get a consistent product. I've never had those, but a search says they Louisiana "hot links".... I think the best sausage comes from Germany or descendants of immigrants... There are quite a few communities in Wisconsin that make really awesome sausage and perhaps that carried over to Chicago for their red hots and other manufacturers.

Were the hot links supposed to be spicy? It sounds like a creole thing.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Hot links in general are great, most of the time completely precooked, so you can just eat them, and yes they vary from kinda spicy to smoking hot from red pepper. Creole is a different type of spices.

Evergood makes the ones we like the best, but Farmer John isn't bad, just not as good. Best "hot dog" type thing I've had is the BEST brand sold as a all beef dinner frank.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
you really have the pulse on the meat products world. . .

we buy the teton waters ranch hotdogs at Costco. we eat them maybe once a month or less. They are tasty though.

@Scarpozzi get some of these... they are amazing. they also have maybe the best bacon on earth. https://www.nueskes.com/applewood-smoked-cheddar-bratwurst/
Looks good. I've been known to order from these guys:

The Nurnbergers are pretty good, but brats have to be cooked gently. Even if you don't like simmering them in sacraficial beer, you have to let them rest to room temp for a bit and grill them low over a wood or coal fire....serve with warm potato salad and red cabbage.

Reactions: herm0016

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We have a local sausage shop that makes some of the best sausages I've ever had. They make one called "Mulligan" that's chock-full of jalapeños and spices...most "hot li ks" are just not hot...and have too mich of a vinegary taste for my liking.

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
Worst meats I have eaten include alligator and Ostrich. Donkey was pretty good and guinea fowl was excellent one of the best meals of my life.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
We like Brazilian BBQ, Churrascaria, and a couple of the local places had some exotic meats from time to time. Alligator tasted to me like a tangy chicken, but not exactly bad.

The vinegar taste is I think part of "Louisiana hot link" thing, same for hot sauce in that area.

Brats I am kind of mixed on, got to be good ones, many in stores are not. My sister used to make kielbasa braised in wine that was really good.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Worst food I can remember having also happened to be fairly recent, less than a year ago.
I recalled Dairy Queen having decent hot dogs, went over, tried one, it was so terrible I damn near barfed.
Either my memory was wrong, or they decided to start buying the worst hot dogs available on the market. Made me angry. Made me sad.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Went into a gas station cause the pay at the pump wasn't working, noticed mold on the hot dogs cooking.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I have found that when it comes to hot links you really do get what you pay for!
anything labeled Bar M is lower than low....rock bottom!!

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
The basic reason spicy hot exists is to disguise nasty meat, which is more or less the origin of all intense spices.

OTOH "you get what you pay for" is backwards, bargains and ripoffs exist.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The basic reason spicy hot exists is to disguise nasty meat, which is more or less the origin of all intense spices.

OTOH "you get what you pay for" is backwards, bargains and ripoffs exist.
Yeah I noticed something we regards to food over the last few decades. Almost everything edible is slowly becoming a worse deal. Coke now costs 2.19 a bottle.
Almost all restaurant food is low quality and expensive. Pizza in particular is going downhill in quality.
Quality groceries are ridiculously overpriced. Even junk food is not a bargain anymore.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
?? Not necessarily, I love spicy hot food. I just buy it plain and add my homemade hot sauce which is not only delicious but also rich in antioxidants and low in sodium.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Origin, not current or even modern day common use. Before even ice was used to keep things fresh, hot spices made them edible.

Reactions: robphelan

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Bar M is the cheapest brand, but these were inedible almost. I cooked 3x and ate two and seemed to survive, but it was a bit nasty getting rid of them.

I don't believe anything as nasty as these were could be normal products, and that what I got is a bad batch.

No issue so far with the Bar M corndogs made with chicken, I like those fine, but never again on anything else Bar M.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Origin, not current or even modern day common use. Before even ice was used to keep things fresh, hot spices made them edible.

Doesn't seem that way to me. That's more about loads of salt curing. If bad meat is all you have, it still beats nothing, but really bad meat would have been about poverty (anywhere in the world including regions where hot peppers aren't native... even dirt poor farmers can raise cattle/chickens/etc), and hot spices (before modern transportation systems) would've been more about what grew native to that region. You eat what grows where you are, before mass shipping made importing food economical.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Doesn't seem that way to me. That's more about loads of salt curing. If bad meat is all you have, it still beats nothing, but really bad meat would have been about poverty (anywhere in the world including regions where hot peppers aren't native... even dirt poor farmers can raise cattle/chickens/etc), and hot spices (before modern transportation systems) would've been more about what grew native to that region. You eat what grows where you are, before mass shipping made importing food economical.

And yet, read some accurate history and that is the way it was, spices and sauces used to extend the edible time of meat.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ I'm pretty sure the edible time is constrained by spoilage and sauces and spices don't extend that unless you're talking about a liquid way to salt cure.

"Edible" otherwise isn't really a thing. Any animal has the better and worse cuts off it, not like people were historically forced to eat worse meat except for lack of refrigeration and spoilage.

I'm willing to read your "accurate history" if you have a good example?

Last edited: