Worst Dentist, oral surgery experience

JASANITY

Dec 10, 2000
My worst oral surgery experience was when i got my root canal. Stupid guy was all pissed off when I was thinking of not doing it(I was in elementary school so pretty scared). Then when I decided to get it done, he didnt give me enough novacaine and drilled my LIVE NERVE!!!! My whole body felt like an electric bolt shot through it as I screamed. Then he said something to the effect of "oops, looks like I didnt't give enought novacaine" and laughed. Then he decided to give me a bit more. I'm still thinking of taking down that bastard.

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
a hygienist poked a nerve giving me an injection.
i couldn't open my mouth more than about 1/2 inch for a couple of weeks,
which made eating interesting.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
My worst dentist experience: I had a meeting right after the appointment and I wanted to be able to talk. So I told my dentist I didn't want any novocaigne. Boy, did I regret that choice.

NissanGurl

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2003
My worst "dental" experience had nothing to do with a dentist. I know I posted it in another thread:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...hreadid=1501787&enterthread=y&arctab=y It's in there past the halfway point I believe.

Other than that, probably getting my wisdom teeth removed and waking up in a small recovery room with blood soaked cotton in my mouth. It didn't absorb everything so it also got on the pillow. The thing was my mom wasn't there when I woke up, so I actually got up and tried walking down the hallway trying to find her. I was still so groggy from the sleep juice (easier than trying to spell the real word ;)) I basically just bounced from one wall to the other before I slide down one wall mubbling "muuoooooommmm". Turns out my mom was in my brother's recovery room (simultaneous wisdom teeth surgery).

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
Originally posted by: NissanGurl
My worst "dental" experience had nothing to do with a dentist. I know I posted it in another thread:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...hreadid=1501787&enterthread=y&arctab=y It's in there past the halfway point I believe.

Other than that, probably getting my wisdom teeth removed and waking up in a small recovery room with blood soaked cotton in my mouth. It didn't absorb everything so it also got on the pillow. The thing was my mom wasn't there when I woke up, so I actually got up and tried walking down the hallway trying to find her. I was still so groggy from the sleep juice (easier than trying to spell the real word ;)) I basically just bounced from one wall to the other before I slide down one wall mubbling "muuoooooommmm". Turns out my mom was in my brother's recovery room (simultaneous wisdom teeth surgery).

I need to start hanging out at oral surgeons offices.. good place to pick up women maybe?

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: RegularK
I haven't been to the dentist in a pretty long time. :eek:

Its been a few years for me.......my teeth only hurt sometimes. :(

Landroval

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2005
Dentist told me he needed to replace old filling, accidentally poked through my dentin, causing EXTREME agony. Tried to cover up by asking me to wait 6 months to see if it would self-heal. Finally had to do a root canal because of it :| (btw he did not admit to screwing me up, later the dental hygenist said something to me because she felt bad). Then, he apparently did not get the roots all out, so they festered for years. When I was out of grad school I went to a new dentist who immediately sent me to an oral surgeon (another $800 after insurance). When my husband went to him (just after the first incident), he ended up in ER and had to go to an oral surgeon because his tooth got so infected that his facre swelled up on the right side, so much that his eye swelled shut. It was super-awkward because all of my dept went to him and RAVED about him, but once it was totally clear it was not just bad luck we fled. The clincher: name is Dr. Au.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
See, that's why you should floss and brush after each and every meal, so all the dentist bastard can do to you is teeth cleaning and nothing else.

Landroval

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Baked
See, that's why you should floss and brush after each and every meal, so all the dentist bastard can do to you is teeth cleaning and nothing else.

haha, that's how I motivate my husband now

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: chrisms
Originally posted by: NissanGurl

I need to start hanging out at oral surgeons offices.. good place to pick up women maybe?

Yep and they have nice teeth.:)

TonyG

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2000
Had a root canal and it wan't too bad, just long.
The worst I have had was getting a crown done. When he first ground the tooth down and shaped it for the crown he put a temporary on it and I had to go back to get the permanent one glued on. Well, he said that there was no reason to numb it up for the removal of the temp crown and glueing of the permanent one, so I said ok, big mistake. Turns out the cavity in that tooth left an exposed nerve, which they did not know about, and they proceeded to use a metal pick on it to clean the tooth. At that point he said it would just be easier to finish cleaning it and then he applied some medicine of some sort and put the temp crown back on, and it heeled fine, which I was glad for as I did not want another root canal.
Though I did get a bottle of darvocet out of the deal.

Metal picks and exposed nerve should never meet. period.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
this was just during a normal teeth cleaning, but half way through it, with my mouth all filled up with gunk and that stupid suction thing, the dentist got into a fight with his nurse -- his wife. I was sitting there in the chair agonizing while they fought in Russian for almost 15 minutes.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
when i was a kid in the early 70's they didnt numb your mouth when they drilled cavities.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
When I had braces they were trying to insert loo large a wire into a bracket. After 10 min of trying to push it in (and having the wire pop off several times and stab me in the cheek :frown: ) the pliers slipped off and gouged into my gum. That hurt quite a bit.

I swear I was about to rip the armrests off the chair and beat someone to death with them.

RegularK

Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: JASANITY
Originally posted by: RegularK
I haven't been to the dentist in a pretty long time. :eek:

you are scerwed

After reading the responses in this thread, I'm not so sure. ;)
Although I don't go to the dentist, I would have to say that I have pretty good oral hygeine habits.

tarheelmm

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2002
My mom offered me up to her boss's son who was in dental school. He did two fillings and I bunch of cleanings. Everytime I came out with my mouth bleeding.

JASANITY

Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: tarheelmm
My mom offered me up to her boss's son who was in dental school. He did two fillings and I bunch of cleanings. Everytime I came out with my mouth bleeding.

Yeah my old dentist let one of the new people fill one of my cavities. Took 3 hours and several drills and reseals till she got it right. A lot of "oops" and "oh come on" during the procedure...all this for 1 tooth! Now I think I need a root canal on it since it feels like my other tooth that got one.

blahblah99

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: JASANITY
My worst oral surgery experience was when i got my root canal. Stupid guy was all pissed off when I was thinking of not doing it(I was in elementary school so pretty scared). Then when I decided to get it done, he didnt give me enough novacaine and drilled my LIVE NERVE!!!! My whole body felt like an electric bolt shot through it as I screamed. Then he said something to the effect of "oops, looks like I didnt't give enought novacaine" and laughed. Then he decided to give me a bit more. I'm still thinking of taking down that bastard.

Post your review at the site in my sig!