World's first bionic eye.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Thats awesome! I'd love to have x-ray vision, night vision etc...

Only a matter of time before they start making games with it.

I suppose this is the birth of cybernetics?

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Awesome. Bout fscking time. Can't wait for all the stuff that follows with this technology. :D

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Fritzo
The problem is, everytime he uses it, it makes THIS sound. :Q

Oh, LMAOPIMPRL!!!! Nobody else finds this hilarious? Nice one, Fritzo! Where the hell'd you find this .wav anyway? I haven't heard this sound in YEARS, man! :cool:

*EDIT*
I just read the entire four-page article and I am both deeply moved and incredibly impressed. This is incredible news...especially for those who were born with sight and lost it due to accident or illness. I have known blind people that were born that way and they had no urge to "see" b/c they had no idea what it was like.

I couldn't imagine going blind now, after 34 years of sight...I'd want to die.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
That's pretty damn cool. But, of course, it's illegal in the US.
rolleye.gif

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
wow.. that is really cool.. and at the end where its saying the possibilities of this.. just upgrade the camera with zoom lenses, night vision, x-ray vision.. that would kcik ass.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Rallispec
just upgrade the camera with zoom lenses, night vision, x-ray vision.. that would kcik ass.
Just have Sony use their nightshot technology... you'd get all that as an unexpected side effect. ;)

Maverick2002

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2000
It's great and it blows.

Great for medical purposes.
Sucks because people will no doubt use this for other purposes.

Say hello to the borg!

*phew glad I won't be alive in 100 years*

no0b

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Wait a minute does the guy have to be hooked up to the laptop to see or what does he have to be hooked up to and how big and heavy is it.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: no0b
Wait a minute does the guy have to be hooked up to the laptop to see or what does he have to be hooked up to and how big and heavy is it.

The laptop was just for initially setting things up, and to calibrate it. The "production" device uses a small camera mounted to a pair of glasses. From the article it says that everything mounts onto his hips via a belt of some sort. I'd imagine that it would be something that fits in a medium sized fanny pack.

no0b

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Text Text well it just has to wait for better computing technologies for all that stuff to get smaller.

Hehe the process sounds like one of those Sci Fi movies where you have to go to a foreign country to get the bionics or cyonics or whatever its called....

Draco

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: notfred
That's pretty damn cool. But, of course, it's illegal in the US.
rolleye.gif

Why would this stuff be supressed in the US? What the hell is wrong with this country. I'm moving to Djibouti!

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Why would this stuff be supressed in the US? What the hell is wrong with this country. I'm moving to Djibouti!

US Regulations have problems with people sticking electrodes into a living humans brains not knowing if they'll survive the process. I understand where they are coming from with it, but if there is complete consent by the person receiving the procedure, then I fail to see the problem.

TomC25

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999
The test alpha patient has had bad luck with eyes, man I wonder what other accidents has happened to him.

That is great that he is willing to be an alpha patient to help progress the testing.

The first person ever to receive this bill was Patient Alpha. His given name is Jens ? pronounced "Yens." Twenty-two years ago, at age 17, while nailing down railroad ties, an errant splinter took his left eye. Then, three years later, this time fixing a snowmobile, a shiv of clutch metal broke free and took out his right.

JeremyJoe

Dec 8, 2000
This is some neat stuff, soon no more monitors just a hook up in the ear and we will be watching the tube

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: MichaelD

Oh, LMAOPIMPRL!!!! Nobody else finds this hilarious? Nice one, Fritzo! Where the hell'd you find this .wav anyway? I haven't heard this sound in YEARS, man! :cool:

*EDIT*
I just read the entire four-page article and I am both deeply moved and incredibly impressed. This is incredible news...especially for those who were born with sight and lost it due to accident or illness. I have known blind people that were born that way and they had no urge to "see" b/c they had no idea what it was like.

I couldn't imagine going blind now, after 34 years of sight...I'd want to die.

IIRC, people who were born without vision will not be able to use these types of devices since the part of the brain which processes signals is not developed.

btw, wheres that sound from?

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
sounds cool. but those wires going into the persons skull looks painful.. they need to go wireless..

hamburglar

Platinum Member
Feb 28, 2002
Originally posted by: dakata24
sounds cool. but those wires going into the persons skull looks painful.. they need to go wireless..

BAhahaha. Wireless. Wonder if your cordless phone will interfere then?

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Hmmmmm... When will we get first bionic women? Mmmmmm.... Women.....