World Trade Center current state

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&i...spn=0.003631,0.007778&t=k&om=1&iwloc=D

As you can see in this satellite photo, the progress on the WTC site is ZERO.

Keep in mind, it took less than 6 years to build the towers the first time, in the 1970s. THEY SHOULD BE DONE BY NOW.

So why is there no progress at all? Simple really. Our corrupt gov't needs the open pit to stay that way so they can point at it and stir up more emotions to keep the populace in fear. If they really wanted to rebuild to show "foreign" terrorists we won't be pushed around, the freedom tower would have been completed by the end of 2002.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: glugglug
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&i...spn=0.003631,0.007778&t=k&om=1&iwloc=D

Keep in mind, it took less than 6 years to build the towers the first time, in the 1970s. THEY SHOULD BE DONE BY NOW.

So why is there no progress at all? Simple really. Our corrupt gov't needs the open pit to stay that way so they can point at it and stir up more emotions to keep the populace in fear. If they really wanted to rebuild to show "foreign" terrorists we won't be pushed around, the freedom tower would have been completed by the end of 2002.
1. The photos are most likely a year or two old based on how their system works.

2. That six year time frame is from ground breaking to finish, we have not actually broke ground on the rebuilding due to many reasons. (time to clean site, fighting over memorial, fighting over plans for new towers, cost over runs etc etc etc)

3. If we followed your path and built the tower at the order of the government then the terrorist really would have won.

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004
Do you think that?s a live satellite feed or are you joking? The picture in Google maps of my house is more than 3 years old.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
I realize it isn't live, however, populated areas like that the photos update extremely often, and that really is the current state.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
1) It also took planning and design prior to actual erecting the steel the first time.

2) The second timearoundwill take longer. Why - design issues based on lessons learned.

3) At this point, few in the country are actually paying attention to the situation. It is an indicent that has come and gone. It is now good for the people that want their 15 minutes of fame in terms of getting recognition by
the Anyone But Bushcrowd.

Congratualations - you have gotten your 15 minutes.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
The Terrorist won as soon as the idiots in our congress voted to attack Iraq - They got what they wanted and more..

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://app.serviceengine.com/LP/Int3FaqDetails.cfm?C=%24%29%285%21R%26IZ%0A&Faq=1&Action=%274%5D8%3FGBIZR0%2C%29%0A&FaqID=%25%29H%2D%2AQFAZ%0A&Popup=No&TopTen=1&cfid=30220915&cftoken=45544792#Selected">The Empire State Building took only one year and 45 days to build, or 7 million man hours. This is still a record for a skyscraper of such a height.

</a>

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://app.serviceengine.com/LP/Int3FaqDetails.cfm?C=%24%29%285%21R%26IZ%0A&Faq=1&Action=%274%5D8%3FGBIZR0%2C%20%0A&FaqID=%25%29H%2D%2DSVQZ%0A&Popup=No&TopTen=1&cfid=30220915&cftoken=45544792#Selected">How many floors does the Empire State Building have and what year was it built?
Answer:
102 floors. 1930 and 1931</a>

It is still Amazing that with 1930's techniques and technology the current tallest building in New York City was built so quickly and it is most ironic that this happened during the worst economic time in America.

Maybe a Great Depression makes people work better together.;)

And if I remember correctly under budget too.:Q

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Its capitalism at its best.

It doesn't make financial sense to rebuild the WTC, so the owners are waiting and dragging out the time to break ground until prices are more feasible and there is an increased demand for office space in downtown New York City.

Also, theres that incident with the insurance battles that took a few years out of the rebuilding process. Add to the fact that everyone has a different opinion about what the World Trade Center should look like, and you get delays, delays, delays. Ow ya, the plans had to be redrawn due to security reasons because the buildings weren't placed further from the sidewalks.

ECUHITMAN

Jun 21, 2001
Even if the photos are old, there still is nothing going on there. I am not sure they have agreed on a design yet.

imported_Tango

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005
Originally posted by: ECUHITMAN
Even if the photos are old, there still is nothing going on there. I am not sure they have agreed on a design yet.

I was there today and there is nothing in the proper WTC site. They rebuilt the damaged buildings in the immediate surroundings and the train/subway HUD (designed by spanish enfant terible Santiago Calatrava) is almost done. They are still changing the project. Recently they approved a plan to make 4 architects from around the world design 4 different buildings and build them all.

http://www.realestatejournal.com/regionalnews/20060911-frangos.html

So tower 2 will be designed by Foster, Tower 3 by Rogers, and Tower 4 by Fumihiko Maki. They are scheduled to be completed by year 2012.

I agree it's taking a lot. But it's not technical incapacity, it's bureaucracy, marketing and politics.

Edit: Tower 1 is obviously David Child's Freedom Tower.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I guess you're saying that the federal government should also overrule the New York State Supreme Court in determining whether or not the insurers of the WTC should hasten the payout of as much as $3.5 billion to the owners of that land?

Or maybe you're saying that the federal government should straight out assume control of the land from its private owners, tender a contract for who is to build on it themselves and push for construction to occur ASAP?

That sounds absolutely brilliant! Things always go so smoothly when governments get involved in massive construction efforts.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
what he is saying is that it is Bush that is causing the stalling for political gain.

another Bash Bush scenario.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You can't approve a plan for the site because somebody won't like you and will vote against you.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
Who cares how long it takes to build them back? Is there a race I'm unaware of?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
It's taking a little while longer to design in the giant window, that when opened, will allow a 747 to pass through.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Todd33
Who cares how long it takes to build them back? Is there a race I'm unaware of?
Not a race, but show of determination.
Re-building the site quickly would show the terrorists we CAN get things done and just destroying a couple of buildings and a couple of thousand people was not the 'great victory' they think they won.
It is our failure to rebuild quickly that is giving them an even greater victory.

jrenz

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: glugglug

Actually, jackass, the initial planning for the towers took about 16 years, and from ground-breaking to ribbon-cutting was 7 years. Get your facts straight next time before you go into your adolescent rants.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'd rather take as long as it takes to come up with a good idea, than rush it.

Personally, I would have left some of the taller pieces that were still upright, in place, and incorporated them into whatever design is the final one.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I'm sure they'll be done by November 2008, just in time for a GOP photo-op with a "Mission Accomplished" banner in the background.