World Sympathy and Wisecracks for US Blackout

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Well well well...the almighty US down to its knees with the "outing"! The sad part is, I'm sure it's got some creative juices flowing amongst the true terrorists out there! *tsk*

World Sympathy and Wisecracks for US Blackout

By Jeremy Laurence

LONDON (Reuters) - Some people voiced admiration, others worried, and some could not help but poke fun at the world's self-confessed "superpower with a Third World grid." "Now we understand why they (Americans) have been unable to get the electricity running in Baghdad," said 47-year-old engineer Ghassan Tombin in the Gulf Arab country of Dubai.

Former U.S. energy secretary Bill Richardson described the United States as a "superpower with a Third World grid."

"I'm happy -- let them experience how bushmen live without power, even for just one minute," added Emma Nzau, a 28-year-old receptionist. "Americans are so used to electricity, they should be like the Chinese and ride bicycles to work."

:D

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Do third world's even have power grids? If so, do third worlds have 110 story buildings and 50 million or more people running off of them? I don't think so.

Jan 12, 2003
I agree with the quote--"they should be like the Chinese"--and we should MAKE people ride bikes to work :) ..but only those who live in the city of fatherly love.

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Oh NO! They're laughing at us, Dari! Time to warm up some smart bombs. :D

LOL... looks like there's plenty others who don't appreciate being mocked.

"What you're making fun of us!?? Oh yeah! Well... we can kick your country's ass! And we're better than you... and have more money... and bigger penises."

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
That would be an interesting study... Do you think that one country has, on average, larger penises than another?

Heck, maybe that would solve all of the world's problems:

"Dang, your penises are bigger than ours. It looks like you are the greatest country in the world, so, we'll do whatever you want."

LocutusX

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: daniel1113
That would be an interesting study... Do you think that one country has, on average, larger penises than another?

That study has already been conducted. Look hard for it on google and you may find it. I found it linked on a genetics website.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: calbear2000

LOL... looks like there's plenty others who don't appreciate being mocked.

"What you're making fun of us!?? Oh yeah! Well... we can kick your country's ass! And we're better than you... and have more money... and bigger penises."

Perhaps Fox will take the liberty in filing individual lawsuits against anyone criticizing us? I'm sure they can cite slander and 'moral damages'

NoVo

May 16, 2001
Originally posted by: phillyTIM
"Americans are so used to electricity, they should be like the Chinese and ride bicycles to work."

What does riding bicycles to work have to do with a power grid failure and our dependancy on electricity?

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002

Oh crap!! They're laughing at us? They definately supported the blackout. ;)

da loser

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: NoVo
"Americans are so used to electricity, they should be like the Chinese and ride bicycles to work."

What does riding bicycles to work have to do with a power grid failure and our dependancy on electricity?

well if you have bikes, you don't have to depend on the subway. of course, what'll happen is we will turn to cars not bikes :D

I think it's hilarious if iraqis are making fun of us. maybe they'll be more patient with us. of course when we fix our power in the matter of days, they might go back to conspiracy theories.

also richardson is a tool, pure politics. him, clinton, and davis went on every news show and were complaining about the deregulation/bush as if they know what the hell happened.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Come on, if the Bush Administration were like China, they'ld force us to drive SUVs, not bikes.

I'm ok with that.:D

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Do third world's even have power grids? If so, do third worlds have 110 story buildings and 50 million or more people running off of them? I don't think so.

Agreed.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
"Now we understand why they (Americans) have been unable to get the electricity running in Baghdad,"

you gotta admit, that's pretty funny. And before you attack me, I was in TO and didn't have power for about 10hrs.

amok

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
After spending 5 days without power last winter (anyone remember the ice storm?), I can definitely sympathize with those that lost their power. On the other hand, I DO think the joke about getting iraq's power going again is funny ;).

It took more than a week to get the power back to everybody here in Lexington last winter, and we even got help from other states to make repairs. One thing I can say though is that it woke up a lot of people around here to the frailty of our system. I have to admit to having a backup ps now just in case something like that ever happens again.

KAMAZON

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
www.alirazeghi.com
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
I agree with the quote--"they should be like the Chinese"--and we should MAKE people ride bikes to work :) ..but only those who live in the city of fatherly love.

Chinese don't force people to ride bikes to work, they can't afforde a car. Luckly unlike he USA they are close enough to ride to work atleast.

fell8

Nov 12, 2001

I'm kind of reminded of a retort Houlihan gave B.J. on M*A*S*H, "Maybe you do have the most to lose, but that's only because you have the most!"

KenGr

Aug 22, 2002

Really, nothing. However, what it says to me that if you don't have a power grid, it can't fail. Great solution.

The real story is that the US has had a massive failure in a basic infrastructure system and it resulted in almost no deaths, no riots, minimal public outrage (outside of the news media) and it will be all restored and fixed in about 2 days. Meanwhile, much of the world has unreliable power every day and thousands of people are dying in countries like France just because it's hot.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: KenGr

Really, nothing. However, what it says to me that if you don't have a power grid, it can't fail. Great solution.

The real story is that the US has had a massive failure in a basic infrastructure system and it resulted in almost no deaths, no riots, minimal public outrage (outside of the news media) and it will be all restored and fixed in about 2 days. Meanwhile, much of the world has unreliable power every day and thousands of people are dying in countries like France just because it's hot.

You people amaze me. No matter what happens, no matter what the topic, you always sneak in some statement indicating your hatred for the french and your ignorance.

FYI people are dying because normally summers there are not hot and very few people have ACs.

KenGr

Aug 22, 2002
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak<br
You people amaze me. No matter what happens, no matter what the topic, you always sneak in some statement indicating your hatred for the french and your ignorance.

FYI people are dying because normally summers there are not hot and very few people have ACs.

No, it's not hatred and it's not the French in particular, its just that they are a convenient example again this time. It is really reflection on the double standards applied to world events. The US usually handles things very well and is usually roundly criticized. Other countries fumble badly and get a pass. A big heat wave will always cause an increase in deaths due to stress. But why should it result in completely swamping the society's ability to cope - especially in a developed country?