World of Warcraft

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
What makes World of Warcraft so good? Asking those people out there who play World of Warcraft, why do you play it? Just asking, not trying to instigate things. Just wanted to know because my friends want to start playing instead of Dota.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
despite its issues its still really really fun, really good time sink, rewarding for both casual players and those that are hardcore

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Anubis
despite its issues its still really really fun, really good time sink, rewarding for both casual players and those that are hardcore

So many reasons and each differ per individual which makes this question tough to answer without writing you a book. Anubis answered the question in the best way possible to keep it short. The only other thing I can add is that it is very cheap when you consider the amount of fun your $15 per month can give you.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I never liked DOTA either but some of my friends are fanatics about it. WoW is fun overall as it's a "simpler" Murmorpurger that allows you to play by yourself or even with friends. Personally, the easy to play by yourself aspect I think really hurts you when you play with others, but that's my opinion. I do definitely like the fact that I can solo unlike FFXI, which was kind of bad when it came to finding groups.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
It's a social network of gamers. People go there to socialize. I was there because friends made me go, hehe. I actually find it quiet boring content wise. Boring quests, lots grinding over and over and over and over......

BZeto

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2002
Originally posted by: rchiu
It's a social network of gamers. People go there to socialize. I was there because friends made me go, hehe. I actually find it quiet boring content wise. Boring quests, lots grinding over and over and over and over......

Pretty much the only reason I continued playing after 2 years was this. The game was REALLY good those first couple years and for some time after BC. Now it's just boring as hell imo. While I do miss talking to some of my old wow buddies I certaintly dont regret quitting the game.

Vehemence

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
It's just a fun social RPG with timesinks to keep me busy. I used to be really hardcore into it from its beta through about mid '06, but since then I've been playing pretty casually.

I've yet to find an MMO that interested me more or had enough oomph to get me to switch. Conan is looking like it could be the one, especially with me loving the beta so much (rampant issues aside).

DarkRipper

Golden Member
Jun 29, 2000
I keep hoping for a game that will pull me away from WoW, but so far no luck. I was wooed away a few years ago for a couple of months by Farcry, but that didn't last as long as I'd hoped.

I'm an addict, help me, /sob

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I played WoW when it first came out. Played up until the BGs arrived. I enjoyed it very much. Why? Well, it was new and different which is always a good thing. Graphically it was very different. A lot of people poo-pooed the cartoonish look but it seemed to work well for WoW. I liked it despite my early apprehensions. The PvE was superior to anything DAoC had. The quests werent boring and the rewards were good. I liked how they handled stealth in the game. I love to play archers and the WoW hunter was so much more fun to play and I could actually kill people and other classes. At that time DAoC hunters were pretty gimp. My hunter could use a variety of pets effectively at all levels and the DAoC hunter could never do that. I didnt feel there was a class imbalance like DAoC has. Probably because each side had the same classes just different races. Some people argue this doesnt give very good uniqueness but as far as balance goes between the two sides it worked. The mounts were way better than DAoC had. I didnt like the ship transport but I always did like flying from zone to zone. I never tired of watching that for some reason. I loved my cat mount. It was cool to be able to pretty much ride it anywhere I wanted to go. Back then DAoC didnt have personal mounts.

The WoW dungeons were much more entertaining and fun to run through than the DAoC dungeons. Leveling in WoW was hard in some ways since I played on a server that allowed both sides into some zones. I had a hard time leveling in zones that allowed both sides due to the constant ganking by higher level players but once my hunter reached level 60 (60 was highest back then) I didnt have that problem anymore. A well played WoW hunter could kill or either fight off any other enemy class. A DAoC hunter cannot do that nor never could. With my L60 hunter I enjoyed killing the gankers/player killers. I'd often patrol zones like DeadWood were enemy players would come in and kill the younger players trying to level up. I never have liked bullies and in real life I go out of my way to pick on the bullies who pick on the weak. I did the same in WoW. I got a lot of personal satisfaction in that. It helped my realm mates too so it was a win win all around.

I really liked WoW and the reason I left it wasnt so much that it didnt give me fun but the guild I am part of for the last 6 years left it to go back to DAoC. So being the loyal guildy I was I left WoW too. I was last to leave in fact. As much as I liked WoW I liked playing with my friends even more. Great bunch of people. WoW lacked RvR though. Thats about the only thing DAoC did better than WoW. In my opinion WoW did everything better than DAoC.

Just a few of my reasons