World of Warcraft vs. Guild Wars

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cluelessoldtimer

Apr 16, 2007
"WoW = someone with infinite time and $ and devotion to it over life. No balance in anything, they want the addiction to milk you dry."

MMORPGs are just games. When you tire of one, put it back on the shelf. Don't let it make you bitter. (I'm not in disagreement with you point, just saying...)

As a casual gamer you will have a blast with WOW, until you hit max level (70). This will take you several months. After that you can start 1-2 more characters and do the same thing and still have fun. After THAT, you have to make a choice, quit the game or prepare to invest huge blocks of time into it.

MMORPGs are successful because you have fun and get attached to your character. At a certain point though, even a great MMORPG like WOW starts to be a grind (more and more work for less and less reward). When you first feel like you are grinding, quit the game.

Guild Wars is also a very good game, I did not enjoy it as much as WoW though.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: lupi
I don't have nightfall but was just reading about the heroes. How usefull are they and do you need to travel the the NF area to get them or can you use them in an existing campaign?

Once your character has heros, you can take them anywhere. My wife and I have 4 accounts total, and 3 have all 3 campaigns. We can take any character from an account that has all 3, and go to any campaign with the heroes that character has. It's great for times when you don't want to mess with forming a party, or for the quests that come up during festivals.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Found the hero interesting enough that I went out and got nightfall. Checked online and found CC had the cheapest price without waiting for delivery but it was as a shipped item, no pick it up in the store option. So I headed for the local store, found a couple copies and headed to the register. The in store boxes were marked at $45 but I told the register chick it was less online. She asked how much and I told her $35, so out the door I went at $35 :)

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Guild Wars..... Hands down.

The more people will play GW, the faster Blizzard will realize that charging a monthly fee is NOT the way to go. I will NEVER buy WoW, not because I don't like it, but because I enjoy STICKING IT TO THE MAN. I hate the way Blizz handles their business, and I will not pay their damned monthly fees. It's enough that this game is addictive enough to make people buy millions of copies. These monthly fees are overkill, and show simple greed.
People say that monthly fees allow WoW to give better service, but that's BS. There are still hackers and cheaters in WoW despite the monthly fees. And GW servers are just as stable. GW FTW! Who cares characters cant jump?

I always liked Blizzard, and enjoyed their games. It all went downhill ever since WoW came out. WoW killed my passion for Blizz. I hope WoW burns in hell.

DeliciousTacos

Jul 9, 2007
GW is great, I have both the original and Factions. It can get very, very hard in the middle of the game but if you take your time and level up you should be good.

WoW, I used a trial key to take it for a test drive and it didn't impress me.

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006
GW if you like balanced play. PvE in GW is basically crap. AI is stupid so they just make them harder ie lvl 28 whereas you max out on lvl 20. Never played WoW but AI can never be that great.

GW PvP is where the balanced skills and gameplay and tactics come into its own league. It takes a lot of skill and strategy to do well. Random arena's just doesn't cut it though. You need a guild to do Guild vs Guild. 8v8 where the objective is to destroy your opponents guild lord. Variety of npc units scattered throughout a mid size map. Many different maps with different effects.

PsharkJF

Jul 12, 2004
If you're into PvP and not pouring endless hours into the game - choose Guild Wars. I've never played WoW, but considering I have played DII and am well aware of Blizzard's utter aversion for letting you become powerful in reasonable periods of time.. (any positives for the >L70 experience gank? Didn't think so.), so I'd recommend GW for you.

My main gripes:
1) Lack of effecient player/player trading systems - sorry, but I don't have the patience to spam WTS 5,000 times in Kryta... and most of the people who do are bots.
2) Lack of "unlock all" PvP.
3) Eight skills is fine in PvP, but eight in PvE kinda sucks.

I'll check out GW2 when it comes out - hopefully some of this stuff will be fixed.

audi111688

May 12, 2006
I dont ever get on here to post except for night time...so sorry for that posting gap....but anyway, exactly how much is the fee for WoW? I'm positive I'll be going to get GW but, I'm just curious. BTW I have always been a huge fan of the Diablo series. I still play the original Diablo to this day...in fact, I was playing it right before I got on here to check this out. I haven't heard of Diablo 3...can someone send me a link to some info on it? Because I will definitely pick that bad boy up if the worth is there.

SniperWulf

Golden Member
Dec 11, 1999
I have played both and both are great! But I think it really depends on how hardcore you are gonna play.

If you are gonna play up almost all of your free time, then you prolly wanna go with WoW. If you plan on just playing for a few hours every other day or so and don't really care if you interact with people much or not, then Guild Wars is the way to go.

The reason I say this is because as you gain levels in WoW, it gets harder to do stuff alone. Its very dependent on the social structure within the game to make progress. Where as with Guild Wars, you can either party with people and do quests or if you don't feel like being bothered, grab a couple of henchmen (class specific helper NPCs) and be on your way,

I recently started playing Guild Wars again. Its always been an on and off, goof off for 20 minutes type of game for me. If you start with one, I would recommend Nightfall as your first purchase.

Shoot me a pm if you have any other questions

imported_vr6

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2001
going on 2 years with guild wars for me.

gw is fun for the casual gamer imo and its free. if i don't feel like playing i just don't. i can leave come back in a month and its there, don't have to worry about the $$. i am not obligated to get my money's worth.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: ibex333

The more people will play GW, the faster Blizzard will realize that charging a monthly fee is NOT the way to go. I will NEVER buy WoW, not because I don't like it, but because I enjoy STICKING IT TO THE MAN. I hate the way Blizz handles their business, and I will not pay their damned monthly fees. It's enough that this game is addictive enough to make people buy millions of copies. These monthly fees are overkill, and show simple greed.
People say that monthly fees allow WoW to give better service, but that's BS. There are still hackers and cheaters in WoW despite the monthly fees. And GW servers are just as stable. GW FTW! Who cares characters cant jump?

I always liked Blizzard, and enjoyed their games. It all went downhill ever since WoW came out. WoW killed my passion for Blizz. I hope WoW burns in hell.

good luck in your little crusade there because it's never gonna happen.

There's a reason they don't charge monthly for GW - it sucks! I'm done with WoW for good, but if my only options were to play GW or WoW at twice its current monthly rate, I would still play WoW.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Wow man, you're a little nuts. A monthly fee for an MMORPG like this is totally justified. Do you realize how expensive it is to maintain a world like WoW?

BTW, comparing the server stability of a game like GW and a game like WoW is just plain ignorant.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i would say GW simply because of the no monthly fee.

however, i WoW is more fun, imo.

Wheelock

May 3, 2007

I'm trying to picture the sudden change in your facial expression as you concluded your post.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Cool. I bought GW the day it came out and I have to say that I never got into it ever. My main gripes are the inability to jump and climb walls, the poor trading system and bad PvE, and the fact that you can't run while casting instants.

audi111688

May 12, 2006
what ill say about my experience with guild wars so far is that, the parts of the game that makes it worthwhile are:
1. getting together a guild or team to help each other out on missions
2. Just dickin around in towns...chatting with those in town...etc...
3. The fact that although it is fun PvP, It's not always necessary, and not over-bearing
4. The PvE can still keep you occupied and keeps you playing

5. It's free

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: audi111688
what ill say about my experience with guild wars so far is that, the parts of the game that makes it worthwhile are:
1. getting together a guild or team to help each other out on missions
2. Just dickin around in towns...chatting with those in town...etc...
3. The fact that although it is fun PvP, It's not always necessary, and not over-bearing
4. The PvE can still keep you occupied and keeps you playing

5. It's free

Glad you are enjoying Guild Wars. Maybe me or my wife will see you on sometime. :)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: SpeedZealot369
GW

especially if your not a millionair

Please point me out to my millions that I have because I play WoW :p. I'd really love to know where my stash is!