World in Conflict

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
I've been hearing ALOT about WiC and everyone has been telling me to pick it up. Well they released a free multiplayer demo which I downloaded..and let me tell you I HATED this game. Well disliked it anyways , I really didn't want to play it for more than 30 minutes.
Here are my reasons..IMHO:

Cons-

-Games are extremely quick (this is a positive and a negative I suppose).
-My biggest complaint is you pick from 5 Units! a whopping 5 units..
-Very frusterating to beginners
-Lack of long term reward system for multiplayer, no unlocks nada

Pros

+Graphics are amazing
+TA system is a great idea

Overall I'll never be picking this game up. If online play offered more units to select from in a given specialization I might give it another chance. Probably a game just not for me as most people seem to love it

IL2SturmovikPilot

Jan 31, 2008
Played the demo aswell,didn't care for it,and definitely gotta agree with you on the Very Frustrating for beginners part.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Originally posted by: IL2SturmovikPilot
Played the demo aswell,didn't care for it,and definitely gotta agree with you on the Very Frustrating for beginners part.

At least they put out a free mp demo eh?

I mean any game has a learning curve, but what little joy I had was taken away from me by TA strikes...this game is just a giant beautiful game of Rock paper scissors..

Support beats Air, Mobile beats Inf and Support, Air beats mobile etc etc..

I mean I could probably put more time in it and get better, but I just can't do it.. C&C3 is much more fun than this, and I didn't think it was a GREAT game compared to generals.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
WIC is not to be played like your typical rts.
If your looking for a game where you control resources, multiple units, etc , then you will be disappointed.
The game requires teamwork, if your looking for a game where you can attack defend with just your units, this isn't it.

Rewards for long term are in the form of rank.
There is a ranking system where you slowly work your way to the top.

If its just you attacking with armor, you will die.
But, if you get someone playing support, and also someone with infantry, you can roll right through the enemy.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
This game is centered around your team. Nobody can single handily beat another team. If you get one a team full of idiots. The game is going to suck for you as your team gets smoked.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
This was a fresh title for me, i enjoyed the beta. All thou i did not buy the game since im busy with other things.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Molondo
This was a fresh title for me, i enjoyed the beta. All thou i did not buy the game since im busy with other things.

For those of you that might want to play a little the multiplayer demo has a 7 day timekey (Not a huge deal but still a little jolt of WiC)

My main complaint is just not enough units on the field for a player and the lack of selection of units.

Do you guys think the amount of units is fine?

I realize that its not for everyone, including myself (It is a very successful game)

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Powernick50

For those of you that might want to play a little the multiplayer demo has a 7 day timekey (Not a huge deal but still a little jolt of WiC)

My main complaint is just not enough units on the field for a player and the lack of selection of units.

I realize that its not for everyone, including myself (It is a very successful game)

I don't mind the amount of units, the strategy of the game is what makes up for it. But everyone to them selves i suppose.

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
The MP demo has been around for quite a while.. The latest patched version of the game fixed many of your criticisms. The camera is much better and there are more units and TA to choose from. I absolutely love the game. Give it a little more time and I think you will appreciate it more ;)

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
This would be one of my regular games like starcraft, company of heros and sins of a solar empire if it only ran well on my 8600GT equipped laptop, but it dosent unfortuntaley.

Pretty fun game online though, theres no pressure to win and less angry ticked off people when they lose because the whole team lost. Casual fun game.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

I think the amount of units each player controls is fine. If they gave you any more it would be hard to use them effectively.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001

Like others said I think its a fundamental difference the designers made over traditional build/zerg RTS titles. Fewer units on the field and fewer units to choose from. But that's what a lot of people like about it as well, I never enjoyed games where the goal was to tech up to choose from 1 of 8 slightly different units when the end goal was the same, to tech up to whatever unit you wanted to get to anyways. In WiC you can decide your mix from the start without constantly making whatever units you have on the field obsolete once you unlock the next tier. Supreme Commander is an extreme example of this, where there's so many "different" units but only 3-4 that are really good anyways that everyone ends up using. I love WiC btw, lots of great new features but especially the 3D engine they use. I'd love to see some expansions or even other franchises built on the WiC engine (imagine CoH with WiC's engine)! Or Galaxy in Conflict!

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Does the game have a single player campaign? I have grown to despise online multiplayer games. (Although I like playing with friends, but not immature idiots on the internet.)

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Martimus
Does the game have a single player campaign? I have grown to despise online multiplayer games. (Although I like playing with friends, but not immature idiots on the internet.)

I think it does..although I've heard its very limited.

Maybe it needs a better matchmaking setup..I don't usually see other noobs with me lol..

I'll give you this, it is a very good looking game visually..and it is very unique.

They could literally do anything with the engine with just a few changes..

WWII anyone? Naval units?

Heck even sci-fi..the modding could be endless

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
I like the game as it is, and of course there are things i would like to see added or changed, but this list will be as long as the number of people you ask. Overall i'm happy with how the game turned out.

It is 90% based around MP, the single player campaign (i played from start to finish) is not much more then a advance tutorial but is still worth having a look at

I had stopped playing the game about 3 months ago and picked it up again recently and was surprised how few servers there are compared to before. You can still find a server to play on easy enough, but i don't know how long that will last.

Then there is the fact that either i have gotten really good or everyone else sucks (pub servers). I used to average around the top 5 on my team a few months ago, now that i have taken the game up again i'm getting #1 spot 2 out of 3 games, the last game i finished i had slightly over twice the score as the #2 player. Weird.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
The game engine is very mod friendly.
They released the sdk a few weeks ago.

I really would have loved for blizzard to have done starcraft II in this engine.
It would have been phenomenal playing starcraft units with the wic engine.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
The multiplayer is very good, but if you dont have a good team it becomes frustrating quickly. This game emphasizes teamwork above all else, perhaps even too much. It's also the best looking RTS out right now.

SniperDaws

Aug 14, 2007
WiC is the only game i keep returning to, i recon ive played it at the very least 3 times a week since it was in its final beta stage.

i love it although it can get extremly frustrating.

The game relies on the server, wic can be awful if playing against some people and amazing playing against others.

Keep playing it mate because when i first played it i hated it, but the only thing i kept going back for was to see the famous NUKE, after seeing the nuke id played that much i was hooked.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Like others have said, being on a bad team makes for a poor experience. Communication and a well balanced team are the key.

When you have everyone wanting to play air or arty and no one wants to take and hold ground, well then your team will lose. This is what I most often encounter when trying to play online, which has kept me from playing in the last couple months. I like playing armor and inf but once in a while it would be nice if I got to play something else.

The game also requires a lot of micro, if you don't enjoy that well then you will hate this game.

piotrgurin

Apr 4, 2005
This game sucksss! The first few missions in single players were pretty cool, but after that it was BORING!!

Oh and mulitplayer? what a joke. its soo horrible.

I bought this game on ebay and its going back on ebay.