World AIDS Day

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Yes, I know cancer and heart disease kills more people. If you want to start a thread about those, feel free. This thread is about AIDs and today is about AIDs

After 20 years of volunteering with people with AIDS (PWAs) I have seen and learned many things, both great, and terrible. I have met some of the bravest people, and been faced with some of the most brutal ignorance.

One of the most shocking things to me is how the ignorance is still so wide spread after 20 years of education. Landlords still locking PWAs out, employers still forcing PWAs out, families disowning PWSs and social stigma that reminds me of the scarlet letter. It's not as bad as when I first started providing part time care to PWAs, but it's still bad enough to be remarkable.

Some stats:

People living with HIV/AIDS in 2007........... 33.0 million
Adults living with HIV/AIDS in 2007............ 30.8 million
Women living with HIV/AIDS in 2007.......... 15.5 million
Children living with HIV/AIDS in 2007........... 2.0 million
People newly infected with HIV in 2007....... 2.7 million
Children newly infected with HIV in 2007.... 0.37 millon
AIDS deaths in 2007.................................... 2.0 million
Child AIDS deaths in 2007 ...........................0.27 million

More than 25 million people have died of AIDS since 1981.

Africa has 11.6 million AIDS orphans.

At the end of 2007, women accounted for 50% of all adults living with HIV worldwide, and for 59% in sub-Saharan Africa.

Young people (under 25 years old) account for half of all new HIV infections worldwide.

In developing and transitional countries, 9.7 million people are in immediate need of life-saving AIDS drugs; of these, only 2.99 million (31%) are receiving the drugs.

Take Action

There are many ways you can take action in response to HIV/AIDS:

- get tested for HIV
- practice safe methods to prevent HIV
- decide not to engage in high risk behaviors
- talk about HIV prevention with family, friends, and colleagues
- provide support to people living with HIV/AIDS
- get involved with or host an event for World AIDS Day in your community

cirrhosis

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2005
rose.gif

It's tragic that it's affected people to this extent. Everyone should know about this.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
If there is one thing Bush has done well (and there may be only one) it's his financial aid package to Africa to combat the spread of AIDS. Although I have heard some talk about them only promoting abstinence only programs there and judging by the numbers above, I think it's safe to say that those don't work.

In any case, it's a terrifically sad situation.

AnthroAndStargate

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
If there is one thing Bush has done well (and there may be only one) it's his financial aid package to Africa to combat the spread of AIDS. Although I have heard some talk about them only promoting abstinence only programs there and judging by the numbers above, I think it's safe to say that those don't work.

I DO NOT want to make this thread "political" but unforunatley I remember reading that Bush has gutted the AIDs prevention programs and forced them to teach abistence only or get no funding. Which has, of course, been a huge failure... especially in the developing world.

What I am wondering (in honor of worlds AIDs day) is does anyone know of any charities I can donate to that teach about safe sex and pass out condoms/BC/etc.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: AnthroAndStargate

What I am wondering (in honor of worlds AIDs day) is does anyone know of any charities I can donate to that teach about safe sex and pass out condoms/BC/etc.

The first to come to mind is planned parenthood. But your best bet is to find the local HIV/AIDS outreach in your area and donate to them.

And yes, no politics or bigotry in this thread, guys. :)

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2

I DO NOT want to make this thread "political" but unforunatley I remember reading that Bush has gutted the AIDs prevention programs and forced them to teach abistence only or get no funding. Which has, of course, been a huge failure... especially in the developing world.

He's referring to Presidential Emergency Plan that sent over 15 billion dollars worth of HIV Antiretroviral aid and education to Africa, which has saved literally entire villages and millions of lives in Africa. I got to witness how much of a lifeline this has been in South Africa, and is really a testament to US Aide done right. Oh, and you get free condoms.

Oct 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Amused
After 20 years of volunteering with people with AIDS (PWAs) I have seen and learned many things, both great, and terrible.

All I know is that you get mucho respect from me and I'll make an AIDs-based fund the next charity I give to in your honour dude :thumbsup:
rose.gif
Seriously.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
After 20 years of volunteering with people with AIDS (PWAs) I have seen and learned many things, both great, and terrible.

All I know is that you get mucho respect from me and I'll make an AIDs-based fund the next charity I give to in your honour dude :thumbsup:
rose.gif
Seriously.

Well thank you! :eek:

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Kadarin
Tested and negative, here. :thumbsup:

Good to know. Negative here too. Unfortunately, not enough people get tested which causes so much unnecessarily suffering :(

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer

rose.gif
Seriously.

Agreed, massive ups to you :)

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
one thing that I did read a while ago is that, some people in africa are immune to the aids virus. they have adapted to it somehow, and scientists are studying their blood.
I'll see if I can find an article on it

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

The first to come to mind is planned parenthood. But your best bet is to find the local HIV/AIDS outreach in your area and donate to them.

Honestly, I have a new found respect for you after this thread. :thumbsup:

I also support Planned Parenthood. It is an organization that does excellent work in educating young women about their bodies and gives them low cost options for birth control and exams.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

I also support Planned Parenthood. It is an organization that does excellent work in educating young women about their bodies and gives them low cost options for birth control and exams.

Bah, I'm a nice guy. No idea why people think differently. :confused:

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Bah, I'm a nice guy. No idea why people think differently. :confused:

Well (and I'm just as guilty) you tend to be a bit...passionate...about certain topics ;)

But that notwithstanding, you have my respect for the charitable work that you do, regardless of how many nasty names I may have called you in the past ;)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
But...but...dontcha know...AIDS was invented by the CIA to help control them thar darkies?

(or some other stupid conspiracy theory)

My 2nd cousin died of AIDS about 20 years ago. (he was ~15-20 or so years older than me and was a doctor.
Everyone knew he was gay...except my grandmother. She refused to accept it. Back in the 60's, he wasn't gay...he was queer...a term that's a real no-no nowadays...except within the gay community. Kind of like the "N" word in the black community. THEY can say it, but not the rest of us.

Before he died, he took his sister on a trip all over the world...everyplace she wanted to go.

They were able to spend most of his last months together.
rose.gif

You'd think that a fucking doctor would know better than to engage in unprotected sex...especially unprotected gay sex...:roll:

Still, I always remember him as a nice guy who was "just a little bit...odd."

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: BoomerD
But...but...dontcha know...AIDS was invented by the CIA to help control them thar darkies?

(or some other stupid conspiracy theory)

My 2nd cousin died of AIDS about 20 years ago. (he was ~15-20 or so years older than me and was a doctor.
Everyone knew he was gay...except my grandmother. She refused to accept it. Back in the 60's, he wasn't gay...he was queer...a term that's a real no-no nowadays...except within the gay community. Kind of like the "N" word in the black community. THEY can say it, but not the rest of us.

Before he died, he took his sister on a trip all over the world...everyplace she wanted to go.

They were able to spend most of his last months together.
rose.gif

You'd think that a fucking doctor would know better than to engage in unprotected sex...especially unprotected gay sex...:roll:

Still, I always remember him as a nice guy who was "just a little bit...odd."

How sad. That was just a few years before effective treatment was available.

I remember those years. I still lose people, but not like the first 6 or 7 years I volunteered.