Workstation Storage Advice (backup and external)

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I'm a content creator. I started working full time about 6 months ago using Adobe Suite, Xcode, etc etc. I built a workstation to suit my needs, but I didn't iron out my backup and storage flow properly.

Here is what I have now:

Workstation contains: 1x500GB RE4 and 1x500GB Seagate ES HDD (non raid)
External HDD: 1x750GB for Time Machine
Nexentastor NAS: 3x500GB Velociraptor RAID-Z
2x2TB HDD's sitting around waiting to be used

My Workstation storage is underutilized due to not wanting to fill the External HDD. I'm hitting a limit on the NAS with storage. I'm thinking of reorganizing into this:

Workstation: 256-512GB SSD or RAID1 2x500GB Velociraptors with spare
External RAID enclosure: 2x (3-4)TB HDDs RAID-1
NAS: 5x2TB RAID-Z with Time Machine

I would use the External RAID enclosure to hold current projects (backed up to the NAS). I would eliminate content being stored on the workstation, thereby making my content portable between machines. The NAS would then have ~7.4TB of redundant storage that could be used for archiving and the Time Machine backup.

For hardware I was thinking of using LaCie devices (2Big and 5Big NAS), but would love to hear recommendations (cheaper would be good too.) Right now I use a Supermicro custom built server, but do not like the NexentaStor software package and don't care to rely on FreeNAS for commercial uses.

Thanks for any advice.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Any opinions? Anything is certainly appreciated. I'm toying with freeNas today to see if it may suite my needs.