Working with jealous and competitive employee

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
OK here?s the deal. I?ve been working within the IT dept for about a year as a web spec. I work in a hospital. Another person who is my co-worker is a systems analyst. He?s much older then me, about a 15 yr diff has more experience and educational background and worked there 3+ years then me.

Since I?ve worked with him I?ve noticed he?s been trying to compete with me. Once he realized my real abilities I guess he started to feel threatened. He tries to keep me out of the loop when we are supposed to be working together for example and doesn?t want any projects going to me. My boss was trying to get him to train me but he doesn?t want to train me. He kinds of avoids it. So I told my boss after a while (for the first time) of what?s going on that he doesn?t want to train me and keeps me out of the loop.

In a couple of days after that all of the 3rd party applications and projects that he supported were immediately transferred over to me. He has little to do now. He seems angry now and is going to other co-workers and talking.

Is this typical. What does this usually indicate? Is there a storm coming!!!!!!!!!!

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
OK here?s the deal. I?ve been working within the IT dept for about a year as a web spec. I work in a hospital. Another person who is my co-worker is a systems analyst. He?s much younger then me, has more experience and educational background and worked there 3+ years then me.

Since I?ve worked with him I?ve noticed he?s been trying to compete with me. Once he realized my real abilities I guess he started to feel threatened. He tries to keep me out of the loop when we are supposed to be working together for example and doesn?t want any projects going to me. My boss was trying to get him to train me but he doesn?t want to train me. He kinds of avoids it. So I told my boss after a while (for the first time) of what?s going on that he doesn?t want to train me and keeps me out of the loop.

In a couple of days after that all of the 3rd party applications and projects that he supported were immediately transferred over to me. He has little to do now. He seems angry now and is going to other co-workers and talking.

Is this typical. What does this usually indicate? Is there a storm coming!!!!!!!!!!

Well regardless of the irony, moral, or reasoning behind what has transpired you have to admit the guy got exactly what he was so fearful of and was trying so hard to avoid - namely you taking his job/prestige/respect/limelight.

Tell us, does it feel great taking candy from a baby, is it just as great as it sounds and as awesome as they depict it in the movies?

Question is what do you do now?

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I knew it was you steppinthrax!!

Look at me, look at me, my post count is higher here too! Harrr ha ha ha!

In the corporate world it's very important to stay away from negative attention and the politics. Some people talk about it like they actually know how the nature of the beast works but they are full of themselves and the advice they offer or give is near worthless if not dangerous.

Competition exists in the work place, yes. Some managers actually try to provoke it to get more productivity out of their work force. Your manager sounds like he knows what he is doing, and is hopefully experienced enough to know what the outcome will be.

Remember, everything comes around full circle at the work place. People get what they deserve in just time. Think of your boss as a wife. Every week there is a possibility of another mind game. It looks like he is testing your co-associates character and possibly yours at the same time.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I work in an office with about 150-200 lawyers. We don't see any jealous/competitive employees. It is like one happy extended hippie family.