Working SD card RESISTING 10+ ways of FORMAT

bgoner

Apr 29, 2013
Hey Guys,
in the last 3 days I've been trying to format my Trancend 32GB microSD card class 10 (FAT32) after the gopro3 froze and had to remove it's battery to reset it. Read a lot, tried at least 10 tools. No success.

It just cannot be formatted. I can read the videos except the last file.

These are the things I tried and at the bottom I've written in details about the accident.

Windows formatting(Win 7)

- Quick Format gives an error in the begining that it cannot be formated.
- Full Format goes through the full process and in the end gives the same error
- tried under Promt - same as full format. the message is different (invalid media or track 0 bad)
- tried diskpart - can't create a partition

MAC
- Disk utility tried almost any kind of combinations for formating, partition creation, repairing - no success

apps on win:
- HDD Low Level Format Tool 4.25 - did a low level format successfully but nothing changed.
- SDFormatter V3.1 - says it's write protected but microSDs do not have such switch
- HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - NS
- EaseUS Partition Master 9.2.2 - when I delete a partition and apply, then refreshes it goes back to the initial state. When del partition and try to create again it says:"There are some error occurred while writing partition chains to disk". There is an option bar when creating partitions which you could drag and select from where to where to make the partition. I tried to make only the second half, tried a tiny piece - both give partition chains error.

device formatting:
tried formatting it through gopro3 and gopro1 - no success
tried with mobile phone htc wildfire s - doesn't even recognize it

From so much testing now the drive does not appear in WIN but appears in MAC ( I think it happened toying with EaseUS Partition Master)

I guess from so much shoot and miss I will need a more intellingent look on this...

DETAILS:
Some of you may know GoPro3 has been released with quite a lot of bugs. They did an update but after the update it still froze while recording a movie and showed FULL. The strange thing I noticed was that it had exactly 3,99GB of data which somehow reminded me of FAT32, but that wouldn't apply cause there was no file bigger than 4GB. There were lots of files which sum made 3.99GB. So the last file went wrong when recording at the 3.99GB line. I can see the last file cause it has been saved but it's broken.

The GoPro3 reads the card and shows signs that It's ok to work with. Display is showing 27 videos recorded. When I try to record more the count increases and everything is smooth. But when turn off and turn on it's back on the 27 movies as if nothing happened. The sd card is just STUCK.

???
Any suggestions on what could have happened and is there a way to format the sd card
???

Last edited:

ALIVE

Golden Member
May 21, 2012
Hey Guys,
in the last 3 days I've been trying to format my Trancend 32GB microSD card class 10 (FAT32) after the gopro3 froze and had to remove it's battery to reset it. Read a lot, tried at least 10 tools. No success.

It just cannot be formatted. I can read the videos except the last file.

These are the things I tried and at the bottom I've written in details about the accident.

Windows formatting(Win 7)

- Quick Format gives an error in the begining that it cannot be formated.
- Full Format goes through the full process and in the end gives the same error
- tried under Promt - same as full format. the message is different (invalid media or track 0 bad)
- tried diskpart - can't create a partition

MAC
- Disk utility tried almost any kind of combinations for formating, partition creation, repairing - no success

apps on win:
- HDD Low Level Format Tool 4.25 - did a low level format successfully but nothing changed.
- SDFormatter V3.1 - still no success
- HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - NS
- EaseUS Partition Master 9.2.2 - when I delete a partition and apply, then refreshes it goes back to the initial state. When del partition and try to create again it says:"There are some error occurred while writing partition chains to disk". There is an option bar when creating partitions which you could drag and select from where to where to make the partition. I tried to make only the second half, tried a tiny piece - both give partition chains error.

device formatting:
tried formatting it through gopro3 and gopro1 - no success
tried with mobile phone htc wildfire s - doesn't even recognize it

From so much testing now the drive does not appear in WIN but appears in MAC ( I think it happened toying with EaseUS Partition Master)

I guess from so much shoot and miss I will need a more intellingent look on this...

DETAILS:
Some of you may know GoPro3 has been released with quite a lot of bugs. They did an update but after the update it still froze while recording a movie and showed FULL. The strange thing I noticed was that it had exactly 3,99GB of data which somehow reminded me of FAT32, but that wouldn't apply cause there was no file bigger than 4GB. There were lots of files which sum made 3.99GB. So the last file went wrong when recording at the 3.99GB line. I can see the last file cause it has been saved but it's broken.

The GoPro3 reads the card and shows signs that It's ok to work with. Display is showing 27 videos recorded. When I try to record more the count increases and everything is smooth. But when turn off and turn on it's back on the 27 movies as if nothing happened. The sd card is just STUCK.

???
Any suggestions on what could have happened and is there a way to format the sd card
???

i had a similar problem with a cf card
windows did not allow me to do anything

then i used this reader i have set the flash to be shown as a harddrive to the system and then windows lets me re partion it format it everything i wanted. for some reason you get limited support of flash removable memory

i used winxp and windows vista

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Go back to diskpart and do a clean, BUT make sure you choose the right disk and double check! A clean will erase the 1st and last 1MB of the disk. This will erase the partition table, boot record and more likely the partition itself.

After that, you can then use Disk Manager to create a new partition. However, it sounds like your intended usage, after the clean, plug the card in gopro and format it there. Otherwise, I'd just warranty the SD card. Stuff happens.

bgoner

Apr 29, 2013
thanks for the replies guys!

this is what happens when I try diskpart
2013-04-30_0135.png

just tried again SDFormatter V3.1 - says it's write protected but microSDs do not have such switch
A+srndGUOY6LAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Last edited:

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
RMA to Transcend?

The camera could have very well borked the state of the flash mapping, or something. Becoming read-only is the "correct" way for such a device to catastrophically fail.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

bhanuanil

Nov 16, 2017
thanks for the replies guys!

this is what happens when I try diskpart
2013-04-30_0135.png

just tried again SDFormatter V3.1 - says it's write protected but microSDs do not have such switch
A+srndGUOY6LAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
Hi I got the same problem can please help me if you have any idea.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
Try a different card. GoPros eat SD cards for lunch.

-camera-wont-power-hard-reset-needed/

evilr00t

Nov 5, 2013
Your SD card is toast, and becoming read-only/write-resistant is the Right Way for a solid state drive to fail. RMA it if there isn't anything valuable/sensitive on it, hammer it otherwise.