Working Out

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
I've been wanting to start working out and strengthing my upper body and abdominal area. The problem is I don't know where to start and what machines/exercises to do. I got full access to one of the biggest rec centers in the nation. Anyone have some advice or links to a guide?

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
See the first link in my sig. It's oriented towards full body workouts, but you will find that many lower body lifts like squats will benefit your upper body as well.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
The best thing you can do is talk with someone there and try to express to them what you want to accomplish. Don't focus on only the upper body and abs. A full program including lower body will give you greater benefits to everything.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html is a great website to browse to get some idea of what you'd like to try.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Go in there and max out on the first day! Lift, lift and more lifting until you can barely lift your keys out of your pocket to drive yourself home. That will surely get you hooked. :p

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Go in there and max out on the first day! Lift, lift and more lifting until you can barely lift your keys out of your pocket to drive yourself home. That will surely get you hooked. :p

if you are new just do three days on with bench, squats, and deadlifts....add in cleans if you want.

If you are an oldy it gets more complicated.

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Special K
See the first link in my sig. It's oriented towards full body workouts, but you will find that many lower body lifts like squats will benefit your upper body as well.

Yeah, the Max-OT program is very good. Not for everyone, but I think that page also has links that detail excercises for each muscle group.

Just go to the gym and lift. Just understand how to do the excercises correctly so you don't hurt yourself. And don't lift too much weight, either.