Working out + nutrition + prisoners

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Every work out guide or site that I've seem all disagree with each other in just about everything..except for the importance of the role that nutrition plays in gaining. Essentially, the conclusion without "proper" nutrition there's no chance that a person will grow muscle.

However, how is it that prisoners..based on stereotypes, movies, etc., end up bulking up a great amount in their prison terms? I'm sure their workout regiments are top notch, since there isn't much else to do, but I can't imagine that they're getting proper nutrition, downing protein shakes, weight gainers, etc..but you see guys like Mark Wahlberg go in as a skinny kid emerge like Mr. Olympia while in prison. What exactly are they eating in there?

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
I'm no expert, but I think that "proper nutrition" is a much more broad and forgiving term than most people realize. As long as you don't have a deficiency of something vital, your body can deal with excesses fairly well if you keep exercising.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
I've often wondered that myself. My guess is that they do get plenty of food in prison. Regardless of whether it is "clean" food like grilled chicken, they are still getting enough calories to grow big. I don't know how prisons work, but do they get as much food as they want, or are they on a diet?

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: jagec
I'm no expert, but I think that "proper nutrition" is a much more broad and forgiving term than most people realize. As long as you don't have a deficiency of something vital, your body can deal with excesses fairly well if you keep exercising.

If they are consuming more calories than they are burning, plus lifting weights, then they will build at least some muscle. How much will depend on genetics, the quality of their diet, and a host of other factors.

MX2

Lifer
Apr 11, 2004
Starches, proteins, and carbs and nothing to do but push weights.

Contrary to popular belief, prison inmates get served pretty decent meals, similar to the Armed Forces. A lot of soldiers also bulk up and lean out quickly during basic.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Syringer
but I can't imagine that they're getting proper nutrition,... What exactly are they eating in there?

Actually they are getting proper nutrition. Its your standard cafateria food. Meat, starch, vegetables. Having to use protein supplements is a bit of a crock.

blazerazor

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: TheNinja
I've often wondered that myself. My guess is that they do get plenty of food in prison. Regardless of whether it is "clean" food like grilled chicken, they are still getting enough calories to grow big. I don't know how prisons work, but do they get as much food as they want, or are they on a diet?

What.? do you sit around and dream about what Prisoners are doing??? whatever.

I think they only get like 1hr to go to the Rec yard workout. And thats if no one on the block has been killed that week and they are not on lockdown.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
I would imagine that prison food has to meet government nutritional guidelines, and so ironically is probably healthier than what most people eat. That and the number of sheer hours inmates exercise.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
In prison you have two options.

Get built

or

Get fat

They eat healthier than the avg person and can eat 3000 calories a day. I know some prisons in Texas grow their own vegetables. It's not like they get feed slop. Im sure its bland, but it's pretty healthy.

You dont need supplements if all you do is eat and lift weights, which is what a lot of inmates do.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Not all prisoners are built.

Like people on the outside some are genetically more gifted then others. Some guys just bulk out a lot better then others. Others really struggle, others stay thin for years even after consuming an insane amount of food (skinny jap guy downing 10's and 10's of dam sausages!).

Koing

BobDaMenkey

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2005
Originally posted by: blazerazor
Originally posted by: TheNinja

What.? do you sit around and dream about what Prisoners are doing??? whatever.

I think they only get like 1hr to go to the Rec yard workout. And thats if no one on the block has been killed that week and they are not on lockdown.

One hour is about all you need for a proper workout.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
I would imagine that prison food has to meet government nutritional guidelines, and so ironically is probably healthier than what most people eat. That and the number of sheer hours inmates exercise.

Exercising for hours would be counterproductive unless you have IFBB-caliber genetics and are juiced to the max. Even then, you might be overdoing it a bit.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I suppose the average prisoner has a higher testosterone level than the average person too, which may have caused them to go into prison in the first place.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Some people have freskish genetics...

A guy at my mates school at 16 at about 5'8 could SLAM dunk with NO TRAINING. He was just a freak with crazy hops. You just deal with what genetics you have been given. Few guys no matter how they trained will ever run anywhere near even a 10.5 second time for 100m. Thats not even anywhere near a top line athlete. Some people just are't built for power and speed. And theres even fewer guys that can hit sub 10seconds.

Koing

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Syringer
I suppose the average prisoner has a higher testosterone level than the average person too, which may have caused them to go into prison in the first place.

Very good observation.