Working at the FBI

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
People going into a job with the FBI or some other federal agency don't go into it because of the money, so I'm not sure why people insist on putting so much emphasis on it. That's like bitching about people becoming teachers.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Strk
People going into a job with the FBI or some other federal agency don't go into it because of the money, so I'm not sure why people insist on putting so much emphasis on it. That's like bitching about people becoming teachers.

Just as long as I can cover the bills that's enough for me. I'm worried about whether I can do it at the GS-7 level at DC, where the cost of living is quite high.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
Originally posted by: Strk

Just as long as I can cover the bills that's enough for me. I'm worried about whether I can do it at the GS-7 level at DC, where the cost of living is quite high.

Money will be tight, and living with a roommate would be a very good idea, but it is possible to live on it. The truth is, you're young and you will eventually get a raise (well, several, I hope ;)).

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: Nebor
What's your degree in?

MIS

Would you be a field agent or what?

Nope, it's a Professional Support role. Cybercrime/Cyberterrorism among other things. Training is done at Quantico for 7 weeks.

So would you be a badge & gun type special agent?

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I took myself out of the process this week. In the end, moving away from my family and the uncertainty around making a big move on this pay weighed on me too much. I haven't been able to sleep much this past week while pondering the decision I made. Hopefully I don't end up kicking myself later on.