Working at Radio Shack

staeiou

Dec 13, 2004
I've been offered a job at Radio Shack, but I'm not sure if I should take it (as opposed to other places who might also possibly hire me). I'm a student who will be working during the summer and winter breaks, and possibly during the school year. Have/do any ATers work at Radio Shack? I know that all stores are different, but the policies are pretty much the same nationwide. Is it a very high-stress environment? Is the quota/comission system as intimidating as it sounds? What about working just Summers and Winters and/or part time?

Any other comments about _working_ at Radio Shack would be very helpful. Thanks

randal

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2001
I worked at radioshack for a year and a half. It was a good time when it came to building skills - people skills, general technology skills, stereo/cellphone/productofthemonth skills. I have found that there are a lot of really good managers within RadioShack as a whole. It was my first real job, and honestly, I wouldn't have traded it for anything. My experience there paved the way for my first tech support job (interpersonal skills), my first sysadmin job, network job, etc.

Depending on the management and your store's local / business, commissions can be wonderful or not. I focused exclusively on helping people find what they needed, not making the most money I could, so I usually floated right at ~$8/hr (commission). It is stupid easy to make more than minimum wage there, and it is very easy to hit $15-20/hr.

As for high stress, I didn't think so. I'm a pretty bright fellow and I like to talk and to help people, so it fit me really well. My manager was not really high pressure, but put the screws on when it came for reviews and such -- but honestly, he expects the born-to-sell people to sell like mad and the other folks to keep the customers happy.

Unfortunately, RadioShack is a gigantic corporation, and the #1 way to determine if your experience is going to suck is to meet & get to know your manager. If you mesh, then you're set. If not, you'll hate it.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..why not. It would be good front line experience and you'll learn something about dealing with the public. What's their slogan?? you have questions we have questions..something like that??