working abroad in wartime

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000

I just started an internship here in Switzerland a couple weeks ago.

You think I need to think about clearing out of here if the US goes to war? Or is this a non-issue. I'm currently not real worried about it or I wouldn't be asking on ATOT but I have no clue about this sort of thing, and I saw that message on CNN saying if you're an American living abroad you should be ready to leave in an emergency.

Concerns being general anti-american sentiment (though it is a neutral country i do see a lot of it around in the hipster culture here in Bern), and whatever else comes with wartime. I've always been sort of oblivious about being at war before.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
Well, I suggest you get ready to leave in an emergency then. Papers at hand, flight schedules printed etc., etc.

What constitutes an emergency at this point will be defined by you.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I tell you, it's always fun working a broad. Sometimes they get a little squealy, buy you know how them broads are. When you get a broad, you've got to ensure that you get her good. Work that broad.

hagbard

Banned
Nov 30, 2000
Originally posted by: bigalt

You think I need to think about clearing out of here if the US goes to war? Or is this a non-issue. I'm currently not real worried about it or I wouldn't be asking on ATOT but I have no clue about this sort of thing, and I saw that message on CNN saying if you're an American living abroad you should be ready to leave in an emergency.

Concerns being general anti-american sentiment (though it is a neutral country i do see a lot of it around in the hipster culture here in Bern), and whatever else comes with wartime. I've always been sort of oblivious about being at war before.

If I were you, I'd get the hell out. As things progress, you're going to find it more are more risky to leave the US, and even there won't be safe.

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Originally posted by: hagbard

If I were you, I'd get the hell out. As things progress, you're going to find it more are more risky to leave the US, and even there won't be safe.

But dosent going abroad in times of war add to the whole adventure of life?

I am trying to get a job in South Korea at the moment... so I guess I am a bit crazy then.

exp

Platinum Member
May 9, 2001
As long as you don't have any kids I would definitely stay put...there is really no need to panic. Just be sure to blend in as much as possible. For example, try to avoid wearing clothes that shove your nationality in the faces of your hosts (like that T-shirt from the Simpsons that depicts a gigantic Uncle Sam devouring Earth ;)). Instead adopt a style of dress that seems common in Switzerland and learn as much of their languages as possible...or at least enough common phrases so that you can avoid speaking English for everyday life.

Then when the war is over feel free to go back to being an obnoxious, arrogant American idiot. :D

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: hagbard

Don't listen to him, he's local doom sayer/US is evil/death to capitalists/troll.

Plan ahead, keep some cash on hand to buy a ticket home. But you're in Switzerland. They are always neautral and don't have any real enemies. I don't think you have to worry about them getting attacked. Just have some fun.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Dude, you are in freaking Switzerland. You are more likely to get nailed by an avalanche or a hot snow-bunny than anti-american sentiment. Its not like you are working in Saudia Arabia or Oman. If I was in one of those countries, I would definitely be looking over my should at all times.

Just don't play into the European stereotypical definition of an ugly american and you'll be fine.

DoNotDisturb

Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by: 308nato
Well, I suggest you get ready to leave in an emergency then. Papers at hand, flight schedules printed etc., etc.

What constitutes an emergency at this point will be defined by you.

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000

It is indeed switzerland. I wouldn't think I'd be lynched or anything. But some people asked me about whether I was going home and so I wondered if I should and why.

I'm ready with my australian accent if things look bad. German is beyond me unfortunately.