Worker's share of national income at all time record low....

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Those aren't jobs. They are welfare. It may come in the form of a job, but the economic theory behind it is still similar to welfare. You aren't 'creating' anything you are just taking money from one group and giving it to another. When you stop taking that money the jobs go away.

Real job growth requires you to create wealth. Facebook is creating jobs, Google is creating jobs, Apple is creating jobs. The government is not creating jobs.

You keep repeating this lie when facts are that gov't creates jobs all the time. Huge swaths of the U.S. economy depend on private contractors' providing services and support to U.S. gov't infrastructure; everything from IT to security to actual infrastructure projects. The gov't doesn't build everything on their own without private help. Additionally, the U.S. gov't has done far more important things, like nuture and/or create whole industries with research and development that has pioneered things like the atom bomb, NASA space technology that helped further develop robotics, and of course the Internet. To say the federal gov't doesn't create jobs is to be ignorant of well established historical fact.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Real job growth requires you to create wealth. Facebook is creating jobs, Google is creating jobs, Apple is creating jobs. The government is not creating jobs.

and the government created the intrawebs (i.e. infrastructure) for those to actually create jobs.:hmm:

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
You keep repeating this lie when facts are that gov't creates jobs all the time. Huge swaths of the U.S. economy depend on private contractors' providing services and support to U.S. gov't infrastructure; everything from IT to security to actual infrastructure projects. The gov't doesn't build everything on their own without private help. Additionally, the U.S. gov't has done far more important things, like nuture and/or create whole industries with research and development that has pioneered things like the atom bomb, NASA space technology that helped further develop robotics, and of course the Internet. To say the federal gov't doesn't create jobs is to be ignorant of well established historical fact.
Where does the money for those jobs come from?

The government takes it from someone else in the form of taxes. Without the taxes those jobs go away. They are not self sustaining.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Let me put it to you in simple easy to understand terms...

If the government can 'create' jobs then why don't we pass a bill tomorrow creating 6 million jobs and cut the unemployment rate in half???

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

If the government can 'create' jobs then why don't we pass a bill tomorrow creating 6 million jobs and cut the unemployment rate in half???

Considering that the federal government has around 2 million civilian workers now, just how much do you think it would cost to do something like that? Also, create jobs doing what? Is there a great need at the federal level to increase it's workforce by 4 fold?

Of course, you're just trolling and know all of this.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Where does the money for those jobs come from?

The government takes it from someone else in the form of taxes. Without the taxes those jobs go away. They are not self sustaining.

This isn't particularly germane to your falsehood that gov't does not create jobs. Taxes are a fact of any non-anarchist country. Get used to it.

Conservatives/Republicans. lol troll.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

All they would have to do is to declare a real war on somebody, say NK.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

If Apple can create good, profitable electronics, then why don't they create a million new ones and single-handedly fix the economy?

What PJ logic just proved:

Apple doesn't create good, profitable electronics.

Next episode: if taking 2 pills is good for you...

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
To acknowledge that would be to defeat the narrative that government is always bad, and less government is always better.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Considering that the federal government has around 2 million civilian workers now, just how much do you think it would cost to do something like that? Also, create jobs doing what? Is there a great need at the federal level to increase it's workforce by 4 fold?
But you just told me that the government can create jobs.

Now you are telling me that they can't.

Which is it?

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
But you just told me that the government can create jobs.

Now you are telling me that they can't.

Which is it?

I did? Where? Care to point that out as I didn't see it just now reading through the tread.

Also, I didn't say that they couldn't create jobs, just not 6 million like you stated.

I don't think that he government should be the primary employer in creating jobs, just spur it along with policy whether it means tax cuts, tax hikes, regulation or deregulation, spending hikes or spending cuts, not to mention interest rates, etc. I hope that our trade policy is changed though as that is one of the main factors, IMO, that is killing our earning power and jobs in general.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Nope, you are right. It was someone else who said that the government can create jobs.

The government can NOT be the primary employer because the government can not create the wealth needed to keep jobs going. Instead they take wealth from others and use it to employee people.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Nope, you are right. It was someone else who said that the government can create jobs.

The government can NOT be the primary employer because the government can not create the wealth needed to keep jobs going. Instead they take wealth from others and use it to employee people.

Idiocy.

Psst, businesses ALSO take wealth from others and use it to employ people.

"But wahhwaaahwaaaahwaaahwaahhh, the government does it by force!"

The government does it *by the consent of the people they elected*.

And businesses takes money by force too - try walking out without paying.

Just another typical PJ dodge.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Craig, does the government create jobs?

And if yes then why don't they create 6 million more and cut unemployment in half?

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008

And if yes then why don't they create 6 million more and cut unemployment in half?
They've already nearly cut (official) unemployment in half by just letting people time out of the work force. Why spend money to accomplish something you can do for free?

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
They've already nearly cut (official) unemployment in half by just letting people time out of the work force. Why spend money to accomplish something you can do for free?

That's a nice attempt at deflection but it doesn't answer his question or address the point he is making.

If according to some government creates jobs (along with the wealth needed to sustain those jobs) then why hasn't government created 100% employment by just hiring everyone old enough to work and thus end our unemployment problems? The answer is obvious but I see some people just don't want to answer it because either it goes against their misguided views on the economy (along with their views on wealth) or they just aren't capable of actually understanding why the premise is fundamentally wrong in the world of economics.

Last edited:

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
I did? Where? Care to point that out as I didn't see it just now reading through the tread.

Also, I didn't say that they couldn't create jobs, just not 6 million like you stated.

I don't think that he government should be the primary employer in creating jobs, just spur it along with policy whether it means tax cuts, tax hikes, regulation or deregulation, spending hikes or spending cuts, not to mention interest rates, etc. I hope that our trade policy is changed though as that is one of the main factors, IMO, that is killing our earning power and jobs in general.
There are simple economic facts in this world, things like Buy Low, and Sell High.

To advance wishy-washy is to advance nothing at all.

-John

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
To advance wishy-washy, is known as Government.

They take their cut RIGHT OF THE TOP.

-John

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
The only time Government has created a job, is in the forced labor camps of Aushwitz, or Dahcauh.

-John

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

I'll just repeat what I said the last time he said the same thing.

If Apple can create good, profitable electronics, then why don't they create a million new ones and single-handedly fix the economy?

What PJ logic just proved:

Apple doesn't create good, profitable electronics.

Next episode: if taking 2 pills is good for you...

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Craig,

He's asking you a simple question, in a thread titled "Worker's share of national income at all time record low"

I find your above answers insefficient...

Do you think Government creates jobs?

-John