Worker Rights and Climate Change

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

Florida lawmakers have previously supported heat safety legislation. In 2020, they passed a bill designed to prevent heatstroke in student-athletes. But when asked to extend protections to the state’s outdoor workers, many of whom are Latino immigrants from Central and South America, they let the bill die in committee.

it doesn't get more on brand for America than this.....profits before people, always

~industry groups “concerned about the burdens on businesses of having to implement regulations.”

~ “If we give them breaks, it costs us money.”

~ In Oregon, trade organizations representing timber and manufacturing companies have filed a lawsuit to stop the state from enforcing new rules protecting workers from heat illness and wildfire smoke.

~trade associations representing some of the state’s largest companies with thousands of outdoor workers expressed concerns that the bill would expose them to lawsuits

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Florida lawmakers have previously supported heat safety legislation. In 2020, they passed a bill designed to prevent heatstroke in student-athletes. But when asked to extend protections to the state’s outdoor workers, many of whom are Latino immigrants from Central and South America, they let the bill die in committee.

it doesn't get more on brand for America than this.....profits before people, always

~industry groups “concerned about the burdens on businesses of having to implement regulations.”

~ In Oregon, trade organizations representing timber and manufacturing companies have filed a lawsuit to stop the state from enforcing new rules protecting workers from heat illness and wildfire smoke.

~trade associations representing some of the state’s largest companies with thousands of outdoor workers expressed concerns that the bill would expose them to lawsuits

It’s pretty sad how a lot of Americans (I’d argue a majority of them) see helping their fellow Americans (and humans in general) as either secondary to profits and business rights or as nothing more than “vote buying”.

It’s really amazing how we’ve managed to brainwash ourselves in the name of capitalism.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It’s pretty sad how a lot of Americans (I’d argue a majority of them) see helping their fellow Americans (and humans in general) as either secondary to profits and business rights or as nothing more than “vote buying”.

It’s really amazing how we’ve managed to brainwash ourselves in the name of capitalism.
If you do not understand the unconscious effects of self hate you won’t believe how we can back in to our own extinction. Literally, in my opinion, the last thing we want to know is the first thing we need to become consciously aware of to survive.

Sorry, but anybody who is in denial of this self hate is an enabler of human misery. We can’t will ourselves into consciousness of what we have hidden from awareness but we can realize that is exactly what we are doing. I can find no other explanation that accounts for the facts or the level of denial to them when presented. We do not allow ourselves to feel what we feel.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Dude the economy will grind to a halt if the boss man can’t buy a new Ferrari this year because Jose is mandated a 10 minute water break if the temperature is over 90 degrees.

Won’t someone think of the poor Ferrari dealers’s children and how they will have to go to a less expensive private school?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Dude the economy will grind to a halt if the boss man can’t buy a new Ferrari this year because Jose is mandated a 10 minute water break if the temperature is over 90 degrees.

Won’t someone think of the poor Ferrari dealers’s children and how they will have to go to a less expensive private school?

Could you imagine what this country would be like if, in the early 1900’s, the country had the same mentality it does now with regards to worker rights?

Reactions: Pohemi

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It's like they are obsessed with having every conceivably possible Economic Tier in existence. Your only worth being how full your wallet is.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Why would good people want to submit to regulations that would allow bad people and ambulance chasers to sue them especially when it is all about the party of regulations pandering for votes. Good people because of their goodness automatically take care of their employees and better than anybody else ever could. Everybody knows this.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and KMFJD

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Why would good people want to submit to regulations that would allow bad people and ambulance chasers to sue them especially when it is all about the party of regulations pandering for votes. Good people because of their goodness automatically take care of their employees and better than anybody else ever could. Everybody knows this.
Why? for the greater good, as there are many who are only inspired by naked greed and take advantage of those in need. But you already know this....

Reactions: Pohemi

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Osha already regulates working in high temps, while I agree completely with the rules, the tracking and documentation are absurd.
you know what happens if those things DONT exist, right?
....people die of heat stroke

i mean, look at trucking. that's regulated quite heavily (admittedly not like it used to be) and companies STILL try and cheat that shit

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Why? for the greater good, as there are many who are only inspired by naked greed and take advantage of those in need. But you already know this....
For me understanding requires that we make an attempt to understand how other people see the world. As a liberal I have supported regulation in a capitalist society from the inception of my introduction to the concept of civics and as a result have engaged in many a debate with conservative thinkers and have listened to their arguments and made certain deductions as to how they think.

The first thing a fair minded person will note and with enough exposure to a range of conservatives, is, at least in what I consider my fair minded opinion, that they do not see themselves as the kind of monsters liberals here in this forum describe. Not every conservative is a psychopath. In fact it is the go get um determined and competitively driven provide so many of us with jobs. They are fully capable of having quite high opinions of themselves, opinions that based on the capitalist system we live in are quite justified.

So my post is not how I see things but my attempt to suggest that the way conservatives view regulations is quite different than the way others do and on the liberal side in this thread that isn't being taken into account. We can see the damage conservatives do demonizing liberals, do we see that we do the same thing to them?

Woe to him who steps on another's sacred cow.

Reactions: KMFJD

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Osha already regulates working in high temps, while I agree completely with the rules, the tracking and documentation are absurd.

Yeah, yeah.....don't do a damned thing for anyone because it's just tooooo hard! Dammit! Costs too much.....gives "them" too much of a handout!!!!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

i mean, look at trucking. that's regulated quite heavily (admittedly not like it used to be) and companies STILL try and cheat that shit
People who feel they are morally superior to others will not want to live under the rules others make because those rules will ipso facto be inferior to those of their own design.

Liberals believe they are morally superior to conservatives because they place more emphasis on justice and equality then conservatives to.

But when it comes to raw moral quantity it is conservatives that are superior and understand moral values better than liberals do. They understand liberal values whereas the opposite isn't so true. Conservatives have quite an number of moral concerns beyond the two they share with liberals.

Thus there will always be this tension between people who believe in good and evil and do not see that the reason that good and evil exist only as a product of belief. It is that belief that ejected us from the Garden of Eden. We left but the garden is still there perhaps.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
For me understanding requires that we make an attempt to understand how other people see the world. As a liberal I have supported regulation in a capitalist society from the inception of my introduction to the concept of civics and as a result have engaged in many a debate with conservative thinkers and have listened to their arguments and made certain deductions as to how they think.

The first thing a fair minded person will note and with enough exposure to a range of conservatives, is, at least in what I consider my fair minded opinion, that they do not see themselves as the kind of monsters liberals here in this forum describe. Not every conservative is a psychopath. In fact it is the go get um determined and competitively driven provide so many of us with jobs. They are fully capable of having quite high opinions of themselves, opinions that based on the capitalist system we live in are quite justified.

So my post is not how I see things but my attempt to suggest that the way conservatives view regulations is quite different than the way others do and on the liberal side in this thread that isn't being taken into account. We can see the damage conservatives do demonizing liberals, do we see that we do the same thing to them?

Woe to him who steps on another's sacred cow.
ah ok, understood, i don't necessarily agree with most of it, especially when you paint with a brush so broad - conservatives see liberals morals but not vis versa

~ Liberals believe they are morally superior to conservatives because they place more emphasis on justice and equality then conservatives to.

And yet the group with the biggest law enforcement hard on are conservatives, strange

Last edited:
Reactions: hal2kilo

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
ah ok, understood, i don't necessarily agree with most of it, especially when you paint with a brush so broad - conservatives see liberals morals but not vis versa

~ Liberals believe they are morally superior to conservatives because they place more emphasis on justice and equality then conservatives to.

And yet the group with the biggest law enforcement hard on are conservatives, strange
I don't find that strange at all. For one thing law enforcement is prosecuting innocent patriotic protestors who came of Jan 6 to save the nation from immoral election thieves which makes law enforcement accomplices in treason. Law enforcement is good only when it is bad people that are arrested, people who do not share all the moral concerns they hold dear. Liberal moral values nation wide, in my opinion, are winning and as time goes on those values are being manifest in the way law enforcement is carried out. For a conservative, society is safe only when subject to moral authority. So a decrease in authoritarianism equates to moral decay. My opinion. A lot of this I got from the work of people like Jonathan Haidt:

Reactions: KMFJD

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

I had an argument with an OSHA inspector because I didn't have bottled water on the job. I pointed out the we had tap water available and she said it wasn't potable. I pointed out that it was east bay mud, the best water quality in the nation.
People who feel they are morally superior to others will not want to live under the rules others make because those rules will ipso facto be inferior to those of their own design.

Liberals believe they are morally superior to conservatives because they place more emphasis on justice and equality then conservatives to.

But when it comes to raw moral quantity it is conservatives that are superior and understand moral values better than liberals do. They understand liberal values whereas the opposite isn't so true. Conservatives have quite an number of moral concerns beyond the two they share with liberals.

Thus there will always be this tension between people who believe in good and evil and do not see that the reason that good and evil exist only as a product of belief. It is that belief that ejected us from the Garden of Eden. We left but the garden is still there perhaps.
It's a lot simpler than that for me. I treat others as I would like to be treated. It works out pretty well out in the real world, not so much in the online world because a lot of people feel empowered by being anonymous. I find that to be incredibly cowardly.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It's a lot simpler than that for me. I treat others as I would like to be treated. It works out pretty well out in the real world, not so much in the online world because a lot of people feel empowered by being anonymous. I find that to be incredibly cowardly.

Everything is also very simple for me. I feel what is true and know that I am right. But I have an extra complication and I have no idea why. I question things. I want to not just know that I am right because I feel it, but because I am factually right. There is the rub as it were. I can't agree with myself on just one thing and it is that besides that I don't know anything.

Just imagine for a moment, if you will, what would be were it that you hate yourself and don't know it. I certainly wouldn't want you to treat me how you, out of your own conscious awareness, actually treat yourself or treat you like I treat me given that same condition.

People use terms like rabbit holes to describe thought process that can bifurcate into so many branches and offshoots that can cause one's head to ache.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Everything is also very simple for me. I feel what is true and know that I am right. But I have an extra complication and I have no idea why. I question things. I want to not just know that I am right because I feel it, but because I am factually right. There is the rub as it were. I can't agree with myself on just one thing and it is that besides that I don't know anything.

Just imagine for a moment, if you will, what would be were it that you hate yourself and don't know it. I certainly wouldn't want you to treat me how you, out of your own conscious awareness, actually treat yourself or treat you like I treat me given that same condition.

People use terms like rabbit holes to describe thought process that can bifurcate into so many branches and offshoots that can cause one's head to ache.

O! M! G!

What tripe! Sheesh!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Yes, but...
Their cow is hurting us. It has got to go....
I cannot imagine there is any talking our way past that one.
Perhaps the problem become an issue only when the sacred cow of another clashes with our own.