words where "i" comes after "e"

Tsaico

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2000
I was just trying to think of words where the letter i comes after e, and not following "c". Trying to find that words that don't follow the "I before E, except after C" rule.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
but the whole rule is "i before e except after c or as sounded as 'a' as in neighbor or weigh" actually i think there is another line but i only heard it once or twice

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
foreign
weight
neither
weird
vein
either
codeine
feisty
leisure
forfeit
heifer
heir
rein
reign
veil
their
seismometer
heist
neighbour

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
In English you mean? :)
If you don't set language restrictions I know quite a few.
But what about seizure?
sleight?

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
i before e except after c or when sound like a as in neighbor and weigh. common exceptions to this rule are: their, weird, either, neither, foreign, forfeit, seize, and height, where e before i makes them just right.

edit: wow.. that was sixth or seventh grade.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Turin39789
but the whole rule is "i before e except after c or as sounded as 'a' as in neighbor or weigh" actually i think there is another line but i only heard it once or twice

it continues: "but only if x = 0 and you have filled out form 802.11.b in triplicate, had them authorized by the department of phonology after 5 PM on wednesdays, except for holidays, in which case you put the i after t but only if there isn't a g in the word"

good old english.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Tsaico
I was just trying to think of words where the letter i comes after e, and not following "c". Trying to find that words that don't follow the "I before E, except after C" rule.
There will be exceptions even to full rule, which that is not...and I have to get ready for classes.