Woosta's road to dunking, gaining 30 lbs and mixed martial arts journal [ VIDEOS!! ]

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Watched your vids; you are improving.

I do not know if your trainers have discussed it with you, but you have a bad habit of turning your head, to the point you stop tracking the target. Particularly on hooks and elbows. You should keep your eyes on your target/opponent, as much as possible.

A sparring partner or opponent will quickly pick up on that. They will time you, and catch you with a shot you are turning your head right into. The other problem, is the shot you don't see coming is the worst kind.

Great tip. Taken.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Did shadowboxing from 7:00 to 7:30ish. Took MMA class from 7:30 to 9.

We did cardio shit first, then practiced some combos with sparring gear, emphasized leg kicks on leg kicks.

Last edited:

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
MMA class - light cardio shit, then armbars/triangle, grappling, takedowns. Scraped knee, meh.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Muay Thai class consisted of jump rope, shadowboxing, combos, high kicks.

Went straight to MMA class afterwards, had a light day consisting of mostly striking drills

Mar 22, 2002
I'm curious, Woosta, what do you care to get out of this journal? Most members mark progress with duration/volume/weight/etc of their exercise periods. That helps to gauge improvement and such. Your's just seems to be quick notes that won't really help you mark much. I'm trying to be constructive so that, if you'd like, you can see your progress when you look back at some time :)

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Class from 6:45 to 7:45

- jump roping ( 5 mins? came late ugh )
- cardio shit ( 10 mins? )
- push kick, 2, 3, right roundhouse practicing ( 20 mins? )
- push kick, 2, 3, right roundhouse padwork ( 3 mins max effort )
- 1, 2, 3, duck duck, flying knee padwork ( 2 mins max effort.. died )
- heavy bag work ( 5 mins? )

went light today 'cause my body is fucking sore as shit. back is DEAD from carrying bag full of shit + week of training. going to rest for 2 days.

trOver

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2006
A few tips for dunking-
I was in the state dunk contest as a senior in high school at 6'3" 185lbs. You go off two feet just like I do, so you seem to have similar a technique. I find that A LOT of jumping high has to do with approach and incorporating your arms into the jump. The approach should be a light jog and very smooth. If you aren't relaxed, you're going to waste a lot of energy and you'll activate muscles that counter-act your upward motion. A lot of this will just come naturally if you play a lot of basketball, but if not, just practice it and concentrate on what feels the most comfortable. For arms, they should be extended all the way behind you before the jump, and then sweep down so that your finger tips almost touch the ground. Swing them upwards and the rest of your body should follow their motion - use their momentum. If you do it right, you should be able to get 1-2" off the ground simply by swinging your arms - try doing this without even bending your legs.

You'll need to be a good hand length above the rim to dunk cleanly, as well as be able to easily palm a basketball. Obviously its easier to dunk with one hand, so try this first. Also - you'll lose a lot of vertical distance if you leave far away from the basket. It's easy to trick yourself when you're running towards the basket that you can take off from far away (think air jordan) but in reality only genetic freaks can do this. You should be TRANSFERRING your horizontal movement into vertical movement, and you use your legs/arms to do this. Basically - make sure you're close enough to the rim before you take off, maybe only 1-2 feet from the edge of the rim.

When you start doing jumps WITH a basketball, the same principles apply. Make sure you bring the ball really low before your jump, and use your arms and the weight of the ball to start the transition of momentum for the rest of your body.

Hope this helps!

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Class from 7:30 to 9:00 PM ET

We did a lot of striking drills. Instructor taught the Brazilian kick, and showed me a European style low kick ( as opposed to Thai style ). We worked takedowns, stuffing them and angling out of them. Also worked getting out of clinches by kneeing.

At the end of the class he jokingly made us do oldschool exercises, some karate stance that strengthens the legs which we had to hold for 7 mins while getting slapped with a kendo stick and then made us do "core" pushups where we have our arms out in front of us elbows touching and use our core to do a pushup. Also fingertip pushups - these are the fucking worst.

Last edited:

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Took MT class from 6:30 to 7:30.. we practiced pushkick, 2-3-elbow combo. then 1-2-3, flying knee combo. jab to right low kick combo and jab to left low kick combo. then finished off with high kicks. Did a combined 100 pushups.

Immediately afterwards I jumped into the MMA class ( I was fucking gassed, too ) and since I came from MT and was a minute late, I had to do 50 pushups ( fucking pushups... ).. We did the usual startup drills consisting of posting up, then a bunch of rolls.

Then we did 1-2 combo, 1-2, 1, step outside and right low kick combo. Instructor reminded me to block my body with the left while I do right straights so I don't get body kicked.

We practiced a couple other combos I don't remember, did pushups and situps in between.

Then we did some grappling... we did an omoplata with a fronthold choke which I got down pretty well.

Instructor also showed some positional tips to setup armbars.. practiced that for awhile.

Afterwards we finished class with some rolling, I got my partner in a RNC, guillotine, and some other sub I can't think of. We ended up 3-3 and called it a day.

Class ended at 9:05.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Forgot to log 12/24 - I came in at 6:30 and I was pretty much the only person there.

Instructor made me jump rope for like 20 mins straight. Afterwards, I practiced 1-2-elbow combo, 1-2-3 knee and knee combo, bunch of other combos, and then heavy bag work with a push kick 1-2- roundhouse combo.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
12/27

Came in at 7:00, jump roped for 10 mins...

We did striking today.. did the 1-2, cross, 1-fake 1 and a roundhouse. We did a lot of stretching today, we practiced kicks, other miscellaneous combos I can't think of...

At the end of class I grappled with this guy and tried to sub him with an RNC, kimura, heel hook but ended up gassing.. he was way above my level.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
MMA Class from 7:30 to 9:00.

We ran, stretched, did random warmup exercises... did striking combos.. MT clinch exercises... lots of shin blocking.. push kicks... MT knee clinching... and what made me gas was wrestling... fucking wrestling.

coreyb

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2007
12/27

Came in at 7:00, jump roped for 10 mins...

We did striking today.. did the 1-2, cross, 1-fake 1 and a roundhouse. We did a lot of stretching today, we practiced kicks, other miscellaneous combos I can't think of...

At the end of class I grappled with this guy and tried to sub him with an RNC, kimura, heel hook but ended up gassing.. he was way above my level.

they allow you guys to do heel hooks? around my area you aren't allowed to even attempt a heel hook on another person unless you're purple belt or higher. they are VERY dangerous

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
12/29

Came in at 6:30, jump roped for 25 mins for Muay Thai Class. We practiced some striking combos, 1, 3, and knee and pushkick/cross/elbow/knee combo after our regular warmup session.

We did high kicks and low kicks at the end of class, then pushups.

Immediately afterwards went into MMA class and we did stretching, then ran, then did 4 sets of squats + {forgot name of exercise}. We practiced wrestling takedowns, judo trips, and then leg locks.

Afterwards, we rolled. I rolled with one guy and after about a minute or so, got a scratch that started bleeding so we had to postpone. I cleaned up the blood and came back, rolling with anther guy who was more experienced.. almost got him in a kimura from mount but I had virtually no leverage and expelled a lot of my energy.

I have to conserve more of my energy.. anyways, he got me in a RNC, and triangle twice.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Got sick. Hope I can do some fitness today/tomorrow regardless.

coreyb

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2007
get used to being submitted. my first year of BJJ was getting owned constantly from the higher belts. only once in a while will you get a newbie and be able to submit someone lol

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Fuck the piece of shit that made me sick. No cardio in 5-6 days. Fucking die motherfucker. Making me lose my fucking cardio every fucking second. Fuck. Fuck you piece of shit.

FUCK.

While vulgar language is allowed, excessive vulgar language is not. -Admin DrPizza

Last edited by a moderator:

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Came back to training Friday 1/7/11 at 6:40 PM ish. Did a bunch of combos for MT class.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Workout session earlier today at 12 - mostly boxing on the heavy bag.. then did my kicks and knees.

Did 1 RM DL of 225 after doing 5 reps of 135. Should've probably did some reps at 180ish. Did a squat at 180ish, and lots of reps at 135ish.

Did some shoulder shrugs, then went to heavybag and then did shadowboxing.

My cardio was pretty impressive, the flu didn't completely kill it. Woooooooooooooooooo

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
MMA class from 7:30 to 9:00. We did striking and wrestling.

I learned some weird trip takedowns and worked on my takedown game in general. I'm surprised my body isn't as sore from the deadlifts+squats I did on Sunday.

We also learned how to get out of a standing headlock by holding on to one of the arms, right to left, left to right and then trip the opponent, crossface, and that should leave you in side control most of the time.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
MMA class from 7:30 to 9:00 PM on 01/11...

We did a shitload of pushups after running, stretches, chinese pushups, bjj style situps, and we mostly learned basic submissions since we had some new students in the class.

We went over guillotine, modified guillotine ( gable style lock ), as well as RNC.

Notes for myself: If your opponent shoots in, sprawl so you don't get taken the fuck down and then one of the moves you can attempt is a guillotine, if your sprawl is successful. Apply your forearm to the neck. Don't pull back, pull UP.

If the person tucks their neck in or tries to defend against it, that's when you use the modified guillotine and basically apply your forearm to their chin/neck area, basically using their defense against them.

When doing an RNC, make sure to get the locks in and when you put your legs, dont "hook" them, let them stay and make sure they resist any movement the person is doing.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2002
Haha, yeah, you'll learn not to close your guard on the RNC really quickly. All it takes is for someone to cross their leg over your top foot. The bottom foot creates a fulcrum and your top foot gets hyper plantarflexed, causing some pretty serious pain. When new guys did that to me, they remembered not to close their guard with rear mount :)

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Did a class from 7:30 to 9 on 1/12

We had an unusual fucking class.. we worked on all types of striking technique drills, leg checking... we did ENDLESS squats but I was in great shape for squats..

at the end of the class we were taught some unorthodox kung fu type joint kicks for non-combative fighting ( street fighting ).. usually we never train spinning shit but we were taught some spinning heel to thigh/nerves/joints...

also i got leg kicked on my left leg and became useless for the last 10-15 mins of class. got a bum leg now, i need to buy tiger balm.

Last edited:

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Did MT class today 11/14 from 6:45 to 7:30.. we practiced leg checking, push kicks, regular kicks..

I carried like a 20 lb bag to the food store and then it became like 50 lbs, too fucking tired to think of what I did...

I did deadlifts today... 5x 135 lbs, 5x 135 lbs, 5x 185 lbs, 5x 185 lbs, 1x 225 lbs