Woohoo! New camera is here!

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
The 40D and all of the goodies just arrived today from B&H.

Spent the last hour just unboxing it all, inspecting it and trying to make it fit in the backpack. Good god the Dryzone 200 is a serious backpack.

I can't wait to use my camera, but I'm so terrified I'm going to break it. Just waiting on the call back from my insurance company that my camera is covered, then its off to test it out :)

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Congratulations! Can't wait to see your first pics.

Don't expect too much ;) I'll be a lot of clicking and hoping something comes out.

ZOXXO

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2003
Do you have the battery on charge? The first charge will seem to take a month. Good time to read the manual from cover to cover.

Enjoy the new gear.

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
Don't expect too much ;) I'll be a lot of clicking and hoping something comes out.
Well you spent, what, close to $5000? So your pictures should be at least 10 to 20 times as good as these pictures taken with a $200 camera.

Wow, someone is secretly jealous and wants to make themselves feel better by raining on someone else's parade over the internet.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: soydios
Wow, someone is secretly jealous and wants to make themselves feel better by raining on someone else's parade over the internet.
Wow, you must be an FBI profiler or something because that's exactly right!

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Well you spent, what, close to $5000? So your pictures should be at least 10 to 20 times as good as these pictures taken with a $200 camera.

No one denied those were not good pictures and I think they are beautiful, but on some of these he is using some PP. At the very least he had to have combined several exposures for that - that can be told by the fact that the range on some of these are simply too huge for any camera to deal with.

2ndly- ca we see full size photos? this is where a difference will become more apparent, especially in regards to noise. And finally getting chance to look at his photos - he is almost always using ISO50 which only makes sense considering how noise is always a factor. It would still be nice to see what a fullsize photo looks like

Anyways congrats to the OP and I hope he has some great photos regardless of the system he is using. As William Tsoi shows - composition is the key to a lot of photos, and a 5000 dollar system cannot teach that.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005

Spent the last hour just unboxing it all, inspecting it and trying to make it fit in the backpack. Good god the Dryzone 200 is a serious backpack.

I can't wait to use my camera, but I'm so terrified I'm going to break it. Just waiting on the call back from my insurance company that my camera is covered, then its off to test it out :)

Waaaiiittt insurance companies cover cameras?
...?

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: alfa147x

...?

Yea, I can get a personal rider from State Farm. $1.60 per $100 of coverage. So basically for $80 per year, I can get $5,000 in coverage on my camera equipment in case of damage or theft. Since I'm taking it backpacking next year in Nepal, I want to be covered.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: magomago

No one denied those were not good pictures and I think they are beautiful, but on some of these he is using some PP. At the very least he had to have combined several exposures for that - that can be told by the fact that the range on some of these are simply too huge for any camera to deal with.

2ndly- ca we see full size photos? this is where a difference will become more apparent, especially in regards to noise. And finally getting chance to look at his photos - he is almost always using ISO50 which only makes sense considering how noise is always a factor. It would still be nice to see what a fullsize photo looks like

Anyways congrats to the OP and I hope he has some great photos regardless of the system he is using. As William Tsoi shows - composition is the key to a lot of photos, and a 5000 dollar system cannot teach that.

They definately were some nice photos. If you click on the details tab after clicking on a photo, it tells you how many images he combined to make them.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: alfa147x

...?

USAA has my equipment covered too.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Can't wait to see your first pictures from your setup! I bet the 70-200 f/2.8 will be sick for night action shots.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Jawo
Can't wait to see your first pictures from your setup! I bet the 70-200 f/2.8 will be sick for night action shots.

Too bad high school football is pretty much over around here :( Would have been cool to goto some games and take pics. Maybe I can still hit some soccer games.