Woohoo!!! I made $54 at Lowes!

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I walked into lowes to get some furring strips and foam insulation. I ended up seeing some tile for 98 cents per sq ft and decided to get some mortar....this guy looked at my cart loaded up with all the wood and asked how much I thought I had....I told him at least $200. He then asked if I wanted to buy a lowes gift card for $350 with $404 on it. We went to the checkout and he paid for my stuff....gave me the card, I had the cashier verify the remaining amount and we hit an ATM so I could pay him the money.

Summary:
1. Went to lowes
2. Bought a gift card valued at $404 for $350
3. Profit!!!!

RedCOMET

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2002
I remember when at blockbuster, they did this promotion that if you bought 50 dollars worth of gift cards, or maybe it was a 50 dollar gift card, you got a 10 dollar gift card for free.

This was a decent deal b/c if you bought over 50 dollars with of stuff, you bought the $50 gift card, took your free $10 gift card, and then used it on the actually purchase, so you made out slightly ahead.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
not fishy at all. The OP did pay too much though. Going rate is about 50% of the value, so the OP should have paid around $200 for it.

The guy probably got the card as a bonus and just wanted cash.

myusername

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2003
If you had a legitimate card, would you really trust some random schmoe to use it before he goes to the ATM to pay for it?

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: rudeguy
not fishy at all. The OP did pay too much though. Going rate is about 50% of the value, so the OP should have paid around $200 for it.

Is it? I usually see between 75% and 90% on Ebay

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: rudeguy

Is it? I usually see between 75% and 90% on Ebay

I am only familiar with buying gift cards from employees.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Not a stolen card. He returned a rug that someone got his wife for her Bday... He explained that they had 7 kids and didn't need a nice rug like that on the floor cause it'd just get messed up so they wanted cash. Since they had no receipt for the rug and it's a common brand, they could only get store credit. He figured $350 was better than nothing and decided that he'd proposition people in the store to make a deal with him. I was skeptical at first thinking it was a scam, but we went right to the front of the store...he even helped me load my truck. Nice guy.... ;)