Woodpecker-Saving Daughter Costs Mom $500, Possible Jail Time

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
They deserved the fine because their solution to a simple problem was moronic. It was THEIR CAT they feared would eat the bird. Just take the damn cat inside until the bird is gone.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Their story makes no sense. You find a "baby" woodpecker and you want to protect it, so you drive it some distance away to release it? Why transport it anywhere?

QFT...sounds like the daughter really wanted it as a pet.

Good intentions, but failure to realize the bird was protected.

I doubt anyone is going to jail, this is just sensationalism at it's finest.

$500 fine is fair. It shouldn't be the end of the world for these people and will prevent copy-cats from wanting their own pet woodpecker.

BTW our local paper just featured a story on finding out those poaching and keeping illegal pets through Facebook and other social networking sites.

So IMHO these is some validity to law enforcement enforcing laws on this kind of thing. If there wasn't anyone abusing the Game/Wildlife laws then they'd probably just slap the little girl on the wrist and re-home the bird.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
To automatically side with the warden and raise blame and suspicion on the mother/daughter is to tacitly approve of the department's actions.

There is nothing more to this story and absolutely there are plenty of enviro-whackos working for the department that would pull just such a stunt for somebody innocently trying to save a bird.

I'm not a mindless drone. I question what I read in the media. This woman's story is illogical, so I question it. I don't like it when people lie to me. They claim they were trying to help the bird, but they may have killed it if it is not yet able to fend for itself.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
it's kinda funny when you read the article--the "journalist" has created the character of the budding veterinarian, sweet, innocent girl only trying to do good, when all her hopes, dreams, and faith in humanity are completely dashed when the evil government interloper steps in.

Bad little girl! Bad! Government must punish you for not knowing the laws!

lol. what a stupid story

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
"Upon speaking with the subject, later identified as Alison Capo, on June 27, the agent determined that no further action was warranted. A citation that had been previously drafted by the agent was cancelled on June 28.

Unfortunately, the citation was processed unintentionally despite our office's request to cancel the ticket. The Service has contacted Ms. Capo to express our regret. The Service is also sending Ms. Capo a formal letter explain the clerical error and confirming that ticket should never have been issued.

This misunderstanding was the result of a Service inquiry into possible violations of federal wildlife law. In particular the Service is responsible for the protection of all federally listed migratory birds. The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries did not participate in the inquiry."

Last edited:

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
"Upon speaking with the subject, later identified as Alison Capo, on June 27, the agent determined that no further action was warranted. A citation that had been previously drafted by the agent was cancelled on June 28.

Unfortunately, the citation was processed unintentionally despite our office's request to cancel the ticket. The Service has contacted Ms. Capo to express our regret. The Service is also sending Ms. Capo a formal letter explain the clerical error and confirming that ticket should never have been issued.

This misunderstanding was the result of a Service inquiry into possible violations of federal wildlife law. In particular the Service is responsible for the protection of all federally listed migratory birds. The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries did not participate in the inquiry."

:thumbsup:

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
But I thought the original warden was the one who showed up at her door later and gave her the ticket? If it was just a draft, for an inquiry even, then why did the warden participate?

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
But I thought the original warden was the one who showed up at her door later and gave her the ticket? If it was just a draft, for an inquiry even, then why did the warden participate?

Cause the journalist that wrote the story didn't write all the facts out correctly. Which is why the story is full of holes in the first place that I pointed out with my previous post.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
QFT...sounds like the daughter really wanted it as a pet.

Good intentions, but failure to realize the bird was protected.
Did that species of Woodpecker need protection?

Crows don't need protecting, but they are still protected. You can't take one as a pet, even though you are allowed to kill as many of them as you want. Farmers and cities kill them by the tens of thousands.

I doubt anyone is going to jail, this is just sensationalism at it's finest.
If she would have gone to court without a lawyer, she probably would have ended up in jail.

$500 fine is fair.
Don't forget the cost of a lawyer. You have to pay your protection money to a member of the BAR Association, or else they will throw the book at you.