Wondering if I'll need a new PSU

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Alright, so I don't know much when it comes to PSUs. So right now I have a Corsair TX750W PSU. I've had it for about 5 years or so by now, and it's still doing great.

My system is in my signature.

However, I will upgrade my GPU from my GTX 970 to a GTX 1080 in the coming weeks. The CPU (Ryzen 5 1600), the Mobo and the type and amount of RAM will remain the same for months to follow (if not years). If I do ever upgrade my CPU eventually it won't be anything crazy like a Threadripper or something like that; it'll remain a mid-range type CPU like my Ryzen 5, or if it's going to be Intel in the future it'll probably be an i5, very unlikely to be higher.

Now, do I over-clock? Technically yes, but very little. The RAM runs at 2666Mhz (but is 'rated' to run up to 3000). The CPU I haven't over-clocked yet, but I might OC it to something rather humble like 3.6Ghz maybe. I'm not much of an over-clocker gamer anymore. On a side note, I'm just using the default AMD cooler, no water cooling shenanigans going here (hence why I wouldn't OC much anyway).

When it comes to peripherals and other components (not shown in signature) I got two HDDs (Western Digital Blacks), one DVD-RW drive, one dedicated PCI Soundblaster sound card, one 120mm case fan, and the usual rest (USB Keyboard, Mouse), along with some extras like two USB gaming controllers and a few others gadgets that I don't plug in all the time anyway.

I don't know if any one of those "Power Supply Calculators" on Google are accurate and a good representation of what I should have, but according to one of them (Coolermaster's calculator) I shouldn't need any more than a 500W PSU ('recommended' amount) for my current system (I entered all the relevant info in that calculator; ended up with 492W for a 24/7 use). If I only change my GPU from a 970 to my planned 1080 it only moves up the recommended wattage to 517W.

Now, outside the fact that I don't know if such PSU calculators are good, I mostly want to know if I should still aim 'higher' in terms of power left, versus how much I need. I remember reading (long ago, probably when I read a review of my current TX750 PSU) that it's always a "good thing" to buy a power supply that has considerably more wattage than the actual amount you need, in order for the PSU to (ideally) not be more than 70% load (or something like that, maybe the percentage is off by some amount here, but that's the gist of the idea; making sure that the PSU obviously ain't gonna stay at 100% capacity all the time).

So yeah, will my TX750W be enough? Should I consider a new one? I checked around for brand new ones recently, just in case, and I spotted a Corsair RM850x for around $140 Canadian (which is actually a pretty good price for that model, considering also that it is brand new).

Thanks.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yes, your current PSU will be more than enough. I have my system listed in my signature easily running on a 550w PSU, and I still have plenty of overhead left.

That said, since you are building a new PC that you will have for a while, it might make sense to buy a new gold PSU while prices are low, and that way you can save yourself some on your power bills. You will be fine with a 550w, and if you want more overhead than that, go with a 650w. You could run two GTX 1080ti cards in SLI with a 850w PSU, so you don't need anything near that high.