wondering about low emf computers

capecod123

Jan 10, 2011
trying to find a slolution for a friend thats suffers emf sensitivty , looking for low emf pc where can i find ?

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
trying to find a slolution for a friend thats suffers emf sensitivty , looking for low emf pc where can i find ?

I have a friend who suffers emf sensitivty. He has found that all computers are low emf if he wraps his head tightly with reynold's heavy duty aluminum foil. He does poke slits for his eyes. The foil must be reynold's brand. Store brands contain too much neutronium.

The only other way emf can enter the body is through the rectum, so he plugs that with a wad of crumpled foil and he's good to go with any computer.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
The highest output of EMF in a computer would be the fans. Fans and similar electric motors put out a TON of EMF.

Passively cooled system with only solid state drives would have the lowest amount. Just don't go wrapping it in a blanket. :p

Jul 27, 2020
Yeah that's a good idea. Maybe get him a pack of blood matching his blood group from a blood bank and see if it makes him feel better.

DISCLAIMER: Blood proteins are pretty hard on the liver when blood is drunk!

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Might be able to throw the machine inside a filing cabinet or similar large metal enclosure. Ground it. You'll still need air flow but you can probably duct it away from the user from the back, have a bottom intake and top exhaust. Some EMF will still come out but it should block most of it I would think? Simply putting the computer as far away as possible might work too. The further it is, the lower the EMF will be, and it's exponential based on distance.

Keep in mind LED and CFL bulbs probably put out just as much, if more, than a computer. The drivers in those don't tend to be high quality. Same with light dimmers, the monitor itself, plug packs etc... If he is truly sensitive to EMF I'd get an EMF meter and just start testing things.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Electric razors are the worst. Back in the days of analog TV, the set would pick up tons of static when my dad was shaving. The razor was about twenty feet from the TV with a floor and two walls in between.

• Wow

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I only have one thing that causes any perceptible interference, a buck switching LED driver board, that I put into a Dewalt gooseneck flashlight when I converted it from incandescent to LED.

The thing is, it causes FM radio reception interference, and if I was worried about that frequency range, well it's there constantly anyway because FM radio exists.

I'm more susceptible to audible frequency range emissions, like the high pitched whine that a Dyson cordless vac makes.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I'm more susceptible to audible frequency range emissions, like the high pitched whine that a Dyson cordless vac makes.
I'm sensitive to this too, I apparently hear high-pitched frequencies that most people don't. A good example was a Logitech mouse that I had (G5 maybe?) that had a barely perceptible whine that was enough to give me a headache. I RMA'd the mouse twice thinking I had faulty units.

I finally contacted Logitech directly about it, and one of their engineers replied and informed me about a laser sensor on-off circuit in the unit that shut the laser off when not active. Most people would never hear or notice it, but he told me that it was known to them to make this electronic squeal. They ended up just exchanging the mouse for a KB, since I didn't want another mouse that would do the same thing.

High-power transmission lines are horrible if I'm near or right below them, as in making me almost feel ill. Old tube TVs, of course. Florescent lights, especially older ones. All of these and more bother me. Many people never notice.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
I finally contacted Logitech directly about it, and one of their engineers replied and informed me about a laser sensor on-off circuit in the unit that shut the laser off when not active. Most people would never hear or notice it, but he told me that it was known to them to make this electronic squeal.
Wow. Amazing that they would acknowledge the issue, instead of implying that you are crazy. Also great that you got a reply from an actual engineer, instead of some techsupport monkey.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Wow. Amazing that they would acknowledge the issue, instead of implying that you are crazy. Also great that you got a reply from an actual engineer, instead of some techsupport monkey.
Yeah, that instance was one of the reasons that I felt that Logitech's customer support was some of the best that I had dealt with, and still purchase their products to this day.

Reactions: igor_kavinski